Jambands.ca

Burning Man

Velvet

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BM happens in Black Rock Desert, but for the eight days of the festival it's called Black Rock City. Oddly enough, several of the people I camped with were from White Rock, BC.

From http://www.nv.blm.gov/Winnemucca/recreation/Black_Rock_Desert.htm

"The Black Rock Desert is dominated by the playa remnant of ancient Lake Lahontan and is one of the largest, flattest places on earth, over 25 miles long and, at its widest, 15 miles. The Playa has a silt base as much as 10,000 feet thick and is so barren that surface curvature is evident."

and

"In 1997 the Playa accommodated the successful supersonic land speed attempt by the British SSC Thrust jet car on October 15, 1997, for the official record of 763 MPH or Mach 1.02."

For eight days you never go uphill or downhill. Driving on it is awesome, especially when you're going really fast (okay, not Mach 1.02 or anything) with the Road Warriors (yes, the Road Warriors). It's like boating, but smoother.

kung, you going?

Problem is, it would be expensive. We'd have to give away a lot of beer.

Just like any other kitchen party I've attended... ;) Seriously though, we could stock the fridge with warm ones (I'm assuming we're generator-less), you know, for show, then keep the cold ones in coolers or something. Could we sell beers? I plan on having a shitload of beer anyways, and American beer ain't exactly expensive...

No buying or selling. It's a gift economy.

You can buy coffee and ice for money, and only from Center Cafe. That's it. The rest you trade. Which means you'll be leaving BM with a few really interesting things and a box full of trinkets. For example, I was at Funk Camp and ordered a blender margarita. It was my first one ever and the bartender was very proud to make it for me and it was delicious. I had given her some little trinket from my pocket that someone had given me for psychiatric help (I did get a few nickels), but the margarita was so good I ran back to my camp and got a shot glass with a Canadian flag on it and gave it to her for my next drink. That $3 shot glass was so impressive that she front-of-lined me all night for free margaritas and wouldn't let anybody else serve me.

I guess people pay money for drugs. I wouldn't really know.

I think it'd be neat to build a set of bleachers, maybe to hold 10s of people, with a view of some of the other stuff happening (and maybe some lights for at night), and then let people sit in them and spectate. We could have barkers walking around selling stuff (OK, offering stuff for trade), and make it out to be a concert or a baseball game. The people in the stands would be spectators, but would also be spectated* by everybody walking by.

Aloha,

Brad

* Is that a word?

Good idea Bradm, but it's been done. One of my favourite camps in 2001 was Spectator Camp (which obviously flies in the face of rule #1). They set up bleachers and wore street clothes and heckled passers-by into participating. Some very wacky stuff happened in front of Spectator Camp.