Jambands.ca

Gener played Sneakin' Sally last night!

zero

How's that for a little John and Peter's Wednesday Night Action :

get invited to sit in with a couple of the guys from Sage at this place called John & Peter's in New Hope, PA last night. A friend of a friend, Jesse, who I have never met before, is singing a couple of tunes with these guys and a guitarist cancels last minute so I head over. In all honesty, I was just told it was a jam and assumed it was an open mic or something so I brought my minimal rig. Get to the place, meet the guys, set up, go to grab some cigarettes from the bar and who do I see sipping a heineken and watching the olympics but Gene Ween, the lead singer and guitarist from Ween. I do a double take, but I was told that this was Ween's hometown bar so I roll with it and head back down to the stage area, hoping that Gene will come check out the tunes.

We learn a few originals on the spot real quick, tear through some covers and make up a few new changes, sounding pretty good for a first jam together. Someone is even taping. These guys are digging my playing so we arrange to end the first set with the guitar leaving first, the bass second, me third and the drums last. When it is just me and the drums I dig into some of my old duo songs and work the crowd a little. I finish, get up, walk upstairs and at the moment I see Gene Ween come in through the front door and go downstairs. I think, "damn, he just missed me", but going outside for a "setbreak" makes me feel a lot better, and I am having a pretty good time playing, especially since the band is drinking for free.

The second set starts with an acoustic mini-set from the guitarist, then the bass player is added. Around now the taper packs up. I get back up and I am perfectly lubricated to groove and groove I do. We play a couple of originals by yelling out changes, we play the Hendirx tune Who Knows. Then I hear the guitarist say "sally" to the other guys and go into the key of E. I start jamming the main riff to Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley on my clav sound, sounds just like the Robert Palmer version. Jesse comes up to sing and we start ripping it up pretty good, everyone in the small crowd was dancing. Thats when the craziness happened.

Gene Ween comes through the door and jumps on stage, pointing at me and getting down with the funk. He sings the rest of the song with us and I take a couple of solos. We stop and start to panic. What the fu©k are we going to play with Gene Ween on stage? There is some talk of Signed Sealed Delivered but only the bass player knows it fully. At this point Gene comes up to me and is like, "so what are we playing." I say, "We are discussing what we can pull off, this is our first time playing together." Someone is like, "Yo, is it cool if we do a ween song?" Gene is like, "Sure, lets do one of my songs" and someone calls out Roses are Free. I learn the song on the spot and do a pretty good circus organ thing. Gene leaves the stage after the last verse of Roses, about twenty minues after he got up there. The crowd is going pretty nuts, we play a couple more tunes and get off stage. There were some flashes going off when Gene was up there, I am going to try and get my hands on the shots.

Crazy, huh?

If I was Gene Ween, I'd never want to hear let alone sing Roses Are Free ever again.

"Uh yeah, my band does all sorts of stuff, a little Hendrix, some Ween, some bluegrass tunes, some Stevie Wonder...... we're very eclectic!"

"Really? What Ween songs do you do?"

"Well, uh, Roses Are Free, you know that one?"

"Uh, yeah. What about Stevie Wonder? He's got such a great catalogue!"

"I know! Well, we do Boogie On Reggae Woman........"

"Oh. I see."

If I was Gene Ween, I'd never want to hear let alone sing Roses Are Free ever again.

why not? its still one of their best tunes live. its not like it got played out on the radio.

I dunno. Maybe so he can try to avoid a lifetime of all those disgusting, hairy, smelly, horrible, nasty, filthy, unkempt, dirty, stinky, unemployed, vagabond, unsanitary, hepatitis-ridden, tangle-headed, dirty scumbag, insect-infected, homeless, drug-riddled, Distant Cousin of the Ewoks, beggars, comatose, lazy, tone deaf, vacuous, hideous, plankton-like, crusty, deadbeat, stooooooooooooopid fu©king wookies requesting it whenever he steps out his front door for milk and an enema kit.

I was kinda kidding anyway. ;)

Listen here Bouchard, you have long hair, a beard and you play a red fu©king Strat you disgusting, hairy, smelly, horrible, nasty, filthy, unkempt, dirty, stinky, vagabond, unsanitary, hepatitis-ridden, tangle-headed, dirty scumbag, insect-infected, drug-riddled, Distant Cousin of the Ewoks, beggar, comatose, lazy, tone deaf, vacuous, hideous, plankton-like, crusty, deadbeat, stooooooooooooopid fu©king wookie.

Oh, wait a second. I get it.