Jambands.ca

Ottawa Friday night

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

I love Lasagna...

I can't make dinner today unfortunately (last chance to see nephews before they fly back to Vancouver), but I want to hook up with everyone afterwards. Who's going where?

Looks like Ollie and I may go to Dominion Tavern to see Slim Cessna's Auto Club. Don't know much about that band at all, but a friend of ours will be there and we haven't seen him all summer so we'll probably go there. But that probably means I'll be hungover tomorrow, and it's supposed to be hot and sunny!! I'll have to force myself outta bed to go out and enjoy the day, that's all.

Anyone heard of Slim Cessna's Auto Club? I know they're from Denver and that they sound kinda country.

"SPIN MAGAZINE ONLINE "But the best band at SXSW was Slim Cessna's Auto Club, a Denver 6 piece that combines the best of bluegrass and backwardass-like a crazed punk band crashing into a gospel hoe-down, the band swerved preachy to creepy with a downhome flair."

Sounds good to me! And I haven't been to Dominion in years. Wonder if they still have KLB on tap!

hey ChrisC --- slim cessnas auto club puts on an intensely energetic rockin an a-wailin gospel-inspired country show. good stuff, but don't buy the album -it sucks.

may i recommend to everyone to check out the spades at the pourhouse either friday or saturday night. for real you don't wanna miss them - and it's probably über-cheap if not free. their site

I'm guessing Franti will be on at 9-9:30, i seem to recall the headliner alwys closing the show at 11:30 (2 hour show ). I think we want to be there for 9, not sure how we're getting there yet and then we'll see if we can stub in and if not pay to get in. What's everyone else's plan?

I heard about Slim Cessna's last year and that they are a must-see. Well, they are a definate rip-roarin' drunk-arsed party machine.

Well, it didn't happen. Ollie and I finally decided to go to Slim Cessna show instead of Folkfest. We get to the Dominion at 10:30...Slim Cessna is no show...thanks to our so-called free country, they didn't make it across the border. Not sure why exactly.

How was the Folkfest?

Folkfest was incredible, you should have come out for it. Beautiful night, full moon, nice breeze, great night for an outdoor show.

Franti & Co. were fu©king on from minute one, the lovefunk train stopped only for short moments so Franti could tell us stories of being in Baghdad, shitting all over Bush and the current admin and praising Canada and Ottawa eespecially.

Great show, he didn't even scare off the old folkies they hung in till the end. And instead of hanging by the fence to watch the show, we were given free tickets by some kind stranger in the night....reminded me of my first Folkfest.

Afterparty with raggamuffin at the Travel Lodge was alright, didn't stick around long enough to see if Franti sat in, figured it wouldn't happen till second set. But we did manage to catch Ember Swift and we were really impressed. A tad "Ani" dirivetive but the band was super tight and layin' down the funk.

All in All a great night!