Jambands.ca

"Undelete" utility recommendations?

bradm

Arggh. I accidentally zorched a file on my Windows XP (home) machine, and need a way to undelete it. Unfortunately, it wasn't deleted the normal way; instead, I gave a command-line utility program the same file name as input and output, and when it tried to open the output file (in "write" mode), it actually killed the input file...the file never even got close to the Recycle bin, it just disappeared and the space for it got put back into the "unused" category.

I think what I need is something that'll find the chain of disk segments formerly occupied by the file and re-associate it with the file, but I couldn't find anything in Windows XP that does this. I did some Googling, and found racks of utilities that claim to be undeleters, but any recommendations that people had would be appreciated. Ideally, I'd like a small, dedicated, free/shareware/open-source utility, that'll fit on a floppy, because I don't have 'net access at home, and so will have to get it here at the office and transfer it to my home machine via Sneakernet.

Aloha,

Brad

Guest Low Roller

I hate that. I once nuked a perfectly good Talking Heads show by doing the exact same thing. I feel your pain.

I am not well versed in the art of undeleting however, so my recommendation will have to remain void.