Jambands.ca

Sloan

Booche

I agree Booche: Sloan kicks ass! I love power-pop and Sloan is one of the better true power-pop bands out there performing today.

Sloan's videos perfectly suit their songs and " Money City Maniacs " is one of the best Canadian pop-rock tunes of the 90s. They are good guys too and are true Canadian rockers who aren't full of themselves - therefore direct opposites of: Matthew Good, Raine Maida, Jeff Martin, Edwin, Diana Krall, Nelly Furtado etc...

Guest Low Roller

Sorry Surly. Sloan never did much for me. A lot of people trip over "Twice Removed", but I didn't find that album all that exciting.

Additionally I saw Sloan live twice (three times?), and they were boring.

If you want Canadian content:

I thought the Tea Party had much better shows and albums (well- before they became a pretentious self-parody)

Finger Eleven is the shiznit.

I Mother Earth WAS the shiznit.

Remorseful

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

Additionally I saw Sloan live twice (three times?), and they were boring.

Hey LR, I'm with ya on that one. I've seen them 4 or 5 times and they really were boring. It could have had something to do with the crowd, but not at every show. They were really nice guys on stage, unlike some other canadian prima-donna's, but nice doesn't mean entertaining. By the way, LR, what's the site that I can get those radiohead/beck tix off of?

I still love Sloan, although the one time I saw them live was a downer ... it was on their "Farewell" tour supporting Twice Removed and they just didn't seem to get it together on stage (although unlike the girl I went with, I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to an off night). I love their studio work, though, as well as their double live CD.

I saw the Tea Party 5 times before they got a recording contract and not at all since then [Wink]

Rob Not Bob

Twice Removed gets my vote for "Definitive Canadian Album" everytime (and Chart magazine once proclaimed it to be the best Canadian release of all-time)... sugary sweet harmonies and choruses that would make the Beatles proud!

Not a great live band though... I've seen them 8 or 9 times throughout the years and chalked it up as "an off night" almost everytime...

The best performance I saw was ruined by a bottle throwing incident at AJ's Hanger in Kingston in 94. Anyone remember that?

I also saw them in a tiny club in Kingston in 98, as a warm-up show the day before they played a Much I+I. Not a great performance, but a hilarious show - their first live date in nearly 2 years (or something like that)...

sloan are okay- i liked their first ep i believe called peppermint but i could be wrong, saw them live in 94 and it was okay but that was it. i talked to one of them and he said that they had gotten signed to geffen after playing live 11 times, and i believe geffen had them pegged as the next nirvana which of course never happened. what i really credit them for was the push that happened because of them to make halifax the seattle of the east- bands like erics trip- know elevator touring ontario as we speak, thrush hermit, buck 65 and al tuck were all on the sloan owned murder ecords record label which gave some nice publicity to some bands that i otherwise would not have heard of as i was living in north bay at the time.

there is so much good music in this country that will never see the light of day and that no one cares about unless its on much music which is said because i often see live music that kills anything on the radio and muchmusic but no one will buy it because its under th eradar

I totally agree - Sloan shows are boring. Although the older albums rock, at shows it often just seems like they are going through the motions.

Too bad - I would like to see them have a killer live show, and I feel they would be a lot more popular if they did!

really big sloan fan for a long time.. i second, (third? fourth?) the twice removed setiments.. great record. smeared was ok, one chord to another- thru- bridges between us, all great..

however new record is ok at best. single is definitley the best tune on it, and its just ok. saw the cd release at barrymores, and the show was pretty awful. both gotta love chris murphy's stage antics though.

i enjoyed a deli sandwich with andrew when nero played freshfest in 2000... nice dude.

Saw Sloan at an EdgeFest in Ottawa a few years back with Foo Fighers, Green Day, Tea Party.

Green Day asked, "Anybody here play guitar?". There was a great wail. "You, how long you been playing? Ten years? No good" They picked a guy out of the audience who could barely play, gave him the instrument and got him to bang out a G in time. Then they proceded to finish the song, sounding just fine.

Steve

Archived