Jambands.ca

VAN MORRISON Setlist Mol Amp 09/03/04

TimmyB

Here's the setlist from Van "The Man" Morrison's short but sweet gig at the Molson Amphitheatre last night.

Van Morrison @ The Molson Amphitheatre Friday September 3, 2004.

Start time 8:33pm

1. Inarticulate Speech of the Heart (Intarticulate Speech of the Heart '83)

2. All Work and No Play (What's Wrong With This Picture '04)

3. Naked in the Jungle (The Philosopher's Stone '98)

4. Stop Drinking (What's Wrong With This Picture '04)

5. Days Like This (Days Like This '95)

6. Cleaning Windows (Beautiful Vision '82)

7. Back On Top (Back On Top '99)

8. Into The Mystic (Moondance '70)

9. Once In A Blue Moon (What's Wrong With This Picture '04)

10. Whinin' Boy Moan (What's Wrong With This Picture '04)

11. Have I Told You Lately (Avalon Sunset (1989)

12. Jump, Jive and Wail

13. Moondance (Moondance '70)

14. Jackie Wilson Said (I'm In Heaven When You Smile) (Saint Dominic's Preview '72)

15. Here Comes The Night (Them '65)

16. Mule Skinner Blues (Skiffle Sessions '00)

17. Only A Dream (Down The Road '02)

18. Don't Start Cryin' (Them)

19. Precious Time (Back On Top '99)

20. Goin' Down Geneva (Back On Top '99)

21. Brand New Cadillac

22. Brown Eyed Girl (Blowin' Your Mind '67)

Encore: 23 Gloria (Them '65)

Show ends 10:05 (Total time 1 hour and 32 minutes)

Sweet show thats for sure.Great bumping into you last night Tim.Always a pleasure.

Van sounded awesome,he hasn't lost a step in my opinion.

The beginning of the set sounded a bit rough,but certianly not due to Van thats for sure,the usual Molson Ampitheater sound troubles,but it cleared up great.

Here's the review from Friday's Toronto Sun:

VAN MORRISON

Molson Amphitheatre, Toronto

Friday, September 3, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO -- Here's what I know about Van Morrison. He's a world-class singer. He wrote the kick-ass song Gloria (which, since it appeared in the '80s teen movie The Outsiders, I am genetically predisposed to like). He doesn't play many concerts, so see him when you can.

And his latest album, 2003's What's Wrong with the Picture?, is a jazz record.

I hope the crowd at the Molson Amphitheatre last night knew about Morrison's new jazz stylings before they bought their tickets -- because the 59-year-old Irish singer didn't give them much else.

Outside the venue, the JamVan blasted his classic 1968 album Astral Weeks to get folks in the mood. Inside the venue, Morrison wasn't in the mood for that stuff. As he admits on the new record, "I'm singing jazz blues and funk/baby that's not rock 'n' roll."

It's one thing -- a good thing -- to explore new musical territory. Too many veteran musicians coast on their past hits. So when Morrison emerged with a saxophone for an instrumental jazz number, it was no problem. When he and his seven-piece band started to swing with All Work and No Play, from his 2002 record Days Like This, toes were tapping. Even when it took seven songs to get to a classic, Into the Mystic, everyone was smiling.

It's another thing entirely to mess with a perfect song. Just when the crowds started to treat his set like the dinner music it was (chatting and laughing audibly), he really turned them off by turning Have I Told You Lately That I Love You into a bad lounge number. The beloved tune is beautiful and soulful and was completely botched by the up-tempo arrangement. It was worse than a wedding band, actually, since Morrison's introverted style doesn't involve entertaining banter. (Hey Van, how about introducing your hard-working horn section?)

Still, the guy is Van Morrison, and his voice did sound great. He even encored with two smashes, Brown-Eyed Girl and Gloria, without messing them up.

In the end, two lessons were learned: Before catching a legend, check out his new album. And always stay to the end.

Here's what I have to say to Llisa Ladouceur, get your facts straight. The song "Days Like This" is from the album of the same name in 1995, not 2002.

The one thing I do agree with her is you should attempt to find out what your are seeing when you go to a show by purchasing or at least listening to the latest album by the artist you are about to attend.

Too often I have found that people that attend Van Morrison concerts just want the good ol' songs and don't realize that he has released nearly an album every year since he's been around, sometimes even two.

If you had all or most of the albums of the last ten years from Morrison and you enjoy them then you most likely would have found the show at the Molson Amphitheatre to be great. I know I did.

TORONTO -- Here's what I know about Van Morrison. He's a world-class singer. He wrote the kick-ass song Gloria (which, since it appeared in the '80s teen movie The Outsiders, I am genetically predisposed to like).

All credibility was lost for me right there.

It's another thing entirely to mess with a perfect song. Just when the crowds started to treat his set like the dinner music it was (chatting and laughing audibly), he really turned them off by turning Have I Told You Lately That I Love You into a bad lounge number. The beloved tune is beautiful and soulful and was completely botched by the up-tempo arrangement. It was worse than a wedding band, actually, since Morrison's introverted style doesn't involve entertaining banter. (Hey Van, how about introducing your hard-working horn section?)

Quite the opposite from the cheers and sh!t I heard when he started into that tune,perhaps she feels she "is/was" the entire crowd.I also sorta recall an intro for the horns,perhaps not each member singlely,but he did make the acknowledgement.

They should fire this dipshit,she obviously does no research or attempts to,certianly cannot write very well ("kickass"? wtf??) and obviously isn't a fan of Van except for the radio songs.

Perhaps having some (simple) educated info on the band/artist would help before you write a review.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show.Van was smack on the money if you ask me.

While I'm glad to have seen this show, I was somewhat disappointed at seeing Van the Man basically go through the motions throughout the evening. And I know he's old and I know he's accomplished alot in his life but I was wondering where the warmth and feeling was that night.

I don't mind ignorance as long as it's honest ignorance.

Ignorance is ignorance period. There is no honest or dishonest ignorance. If you are aware of something and you don't give that information correctly you're just a liar. This girl reviewing the Van Morrison show was just ignorant of the facts. All I have to say is get your facts straight that's what they pay you for.