Jambands.ca

CTMF - Awesome Once Again

Paan

What a fantastic time again at CTMF... as usual, I did not want it to end. The things that stood out for me were:

1) Everything

2) Everything

3) Everything

4) Everything

5) Getting a massage by two amazing women

Sorry gals, I still owe you for the candle holder... I will get it to ya somehow.. I was kinda dragged home half asleep this morning.

... already suffering from dancing withdrawl.. I put on my fur pants and danced to Diesel Dog in my living room today, but somehow it is just not the same...

Dang reality gets in the way of everything.

Cheers to you all! There is nothing like being with a bunch of open-minded people... I can't wait for the next doo.

I posted this in another thread but thought I'd post it here as well.

What a great weekend! Awesome weather, sweet music, and beautiful people.

Smokestack blew me away ... totally pro sounding, super-tight, great original songs and excellent cover song selections (2 Steely Dan songs and the Weight by the Band), awesome musicianship. It's nice to hear a band that has lyrics to get the head spinning along with the body.

Jomomma sounded fat and funky!

Diesel Dog had lots and lots of people grooving and smiling and moving their feet.

Mark Wilson has an awesome voice!

The John Henry's have some great songs ... a little too country for my liking but I'm positive that lots of people will really dig this band.

The New Shady Groove and Blue Quarter both played intense sets of music. Blue Quarter has got some of the craziest tones that I've ever heard, and some of the intros and transitions between songs are out there ... super heavy progressive jazz! And I really like when they get funky!

Nice to hear Tala with the sitar.

We had the right weather for the SilverTones!

Passenger ... those guys know how to play!

Steve & Crazy Stickbird ... gotta love Shelby and Johnny Kerr. Shelby belts it out, and Johnny oozes music ... reminds lots of us of Levon Helm. Steve Murphy has some excellent original songs!

I enjoyed the other bands that played in the afternoon, especially as I was cooling off in the lake. It's so nice to have an on-site swimming hole with clean water, where you can swim while taking in the music.

I wasn't there on Friday so I can't comment on and of the Friday bands, but people were definitely talking about GTB on Saturday when I showed up.

And what a huge collection of wonderful people throughout the campground ... way too many to mention ... it's so nice to be able to travel throughout the campground and basically stop in and visit anybody, whether you know them or not. It was a very relaxing, super-friendly vibe at this festival, with lots of campfire jams and drum circles.

Come the middle of winter I will be itching for the May 24 weekend!!!

Peace, Mark

That Cripple Creek WAS so good- i enjoyed smokestack, and also the new shady groove, and of course, GTB - first time i've seen them and i was lovin it!

i had such a freakin blast this weekend- like usual!...i can't say enough how awsome everybody is that i've met! i'm very new to this scene and i'm just enjoying getting to know all of teh new faces...( Dr. Hux, St. Catherines boys, willy and leanne, velvet, Karin and James, alexis,Paan to name a few!) although with all of your freakin names, it's hard to keep track of you!! ( real ones, nick names, names on the board, changing names on the board!!) Dr.hux or number two?? is it PAAN or PAAAUUN, or PAIN?? i think i finally did get it by the end of the weekend!

i'd like to give a HUGE HUG and THANK YOU to all of the people who supported the 'simone and marie' fund! you guys were so generous and we actaully did pay of most of our tickets- for interest sake, our silent auction pic went for $15, and also the blow up pic of Booche went for $ 7.75, i think!

thanks so much, and if anyone wants a PM from me, it's $2!! haha, what a blast.

well, it was my last CTMF for a while, but, i might even fly back from california just for may 24!! OH, and of course for the 'burning together' festvial that is going to be held in the very same location!

anyhoosy, both marks, you rock, and thanks so much for all of the fun!

PS : PAAN, your ass is mine if we don't get that cash buddy, a deal is a deal....hehe, JK!!

Yeah ladies... you way under-charged for the massages... I gave $20 and that was still too little.

Vixon... I live in Hamilton... is there anyone you know that I could get the $ to that will see you before you go to CA... if not, I can mail it... I feel sooo bad!!!

PAAN - i was just kidding about it! you don't owe us anything except maybe a big hug at the next show we see you at! consider it a gift from one sister in a 80's satin ballgown to a brother in huge furry pants!

vixon

oh, i forgot to mention another highlight of the weekend: the crazy/just plain wierd dance moves of backbacon and blair. you guys almost made me freakin pee my pants!! Marie and i and you two definately have to get together and make a dance video for sure!

Hey Vixon and Paan ... maybe the two of you can hook up at the Lanc in Kitchener on Fri. Sept. 17 for the Diesel Dog show (with Harvard Mouse and a Drum Circle between bands) ... couldn't resist the promotion opportunity!

;) ::

oh, i forgot to mention another highlight of the weekend: the crazy/just plain wierd dance moves of backbacon and blair. you guys almost made me freakin pee my pants!!

I agree ... backbacon and babsy mudcock are absolutely hilarious when they break out the moves! The funniest moment of the weekend for me was when Blair did his routine where he was swimming, sledding, etc. on the grass/dirt near the stage ... I forget the name of that series of moves, but it made me fall down onto the ground with hysterical laughter!

Peace, Mark

i love the relaxed absurdity of ctmf, especially this time! what an awesome mix of people and music!

there was a favourit top ten things from ctmf from the canada day party so now i am doing it for labour day:

1. "fu©k, i love cookies!" -absurd sentence said with such conviction and passion to warrant the development of a cookie cult.

2. clifford, the big red drunk. what a fu©king disaster, so very disorganized, i love you man!

3. selling all my wraps in under an hour on saturday and again on sunday, thank you all very much! next year i will bring more.

4. having conversations with people that i normally don't talk to.

5. making my ex my coffee bitch on saturday! hahahah thanks surmanski!

6. having all the band whores together for the diesel dog set. sweet.

7. kaejema, diesel dog, mark wilson and the way it is, blue quarter, the silvertones, grand theft bus, smurphy the man whore's band, (whatever the hell they are calling themselves!) jomomma

8. swimming and the really nice weather and not getting sunburned

9. seeing my browntown crew, whoever wants to move to kitchener can come and live on my futon while you find an apartment, i miss everybody. (of course you can just come and stay for a little too whenever you feel like it.)

10. becoming an aunt at 202 am on sept. 6, 2004. vivian athena long is my niece! :) :) :)

well, ctmf sure made a(nother!) smashing success of a long weekend this summer. :) the weather was absolutely BEAUTIFUL, albeit a bit scorching to wake up to in a tent, but if anything it got us all up & at 'em earlier. :D and it sure made for a warm lake to swim in!

ctmf always draws a fantastic selection of people, and this weekend was no exception. above & beyond the folks you already know and hope to run into, i couldn't help but notice that overall, the vast majority of those in attendance were some of the kindest, most respectful, fun loving folks to be surrounded with. even more so than usual at these things (and that's saying a lot!). none of the sketchiness that seemed to run rampant at the last fest was apparent (wellllll, for the most part), and i was shocked to see how many people actually came prepared for the weekend! used to the po-ass wook factor ;), i always bring a bit extra of everything, but i think i only had maybe 3 or 4 people ask me even for cigarettes all weekend (as opposed to the 3-4 hundred it seemed last time). :D no beer stolen either! ctmf always draws a good crowd, but i have to say, this particular fest was absolute top notch in that regard.

highlights for me include (in no particular order):

- pinkstagator arriving (unexpectedly! she even managed -- i hear barely haha -- to keep it a secret from me!) at all, but on top of showing up, they did it in matching adias outfits. i really hope somebody got a picture of that, every time i'd look over & see you guys in those outfits it made me feel really good. :: too cute!

- getting to leave the spacey keri shirt at home since the real deal was there live and in person. hahahahahaha, backbacon, i think you should have your own reality tv show, i hurt from all the laughing you made me do this weekend. between the newfound obsession with "cannin'" (enticing me to go for romantic walks together to pick up scuzzy beer cans to trade in for money), the waiting for guffman dance moves, and sitting in the tent rocking out to the dance music portion of your "awesomeness" mix, while doing zombie talk, i am rather impressed with my own bladder control.

- it's been mentioned before and i'll mention it yet again -- babsy mudcock & backbacon having dance-offs up at the stage. the energy from you two was enough that i'm surprised sparks weren't flying off you -- y'all put the tonins to shame, i swear. ::

- multiple campfire jams around the give'r fire, over the course of the whole weekend. shining stars include the velvet and dr. hux ensemble. ah, nothin' like a bit o'blarney stone!

- that fricken lake! coupled with the warm weather, it was just delicious, great for a swim or 2 every day. swimming highlights include bobbing around on floating pool toys with qqc & backbacon, doing our own "lake percussion" accompaniment to the steel drum band. and of course, the pretty baths (i love to wash! haha). vixen, thinking of you trying to clamber onto "the station" is making me laugh even now.

- mother freakin' GRAND THEFT BUS!!! holy crap. every time i see these boys, they get better and better and better. i think this weekend has been the best i've seen them yet. definitely my favourite performance of the weekend.

- thanks to mr. & mrs. mudcock & their come together giveaways, in addition to some lovely new shirts, i am now the proud owner of both the special edition new kids videos, hangin' tough & step by step AND a do-it-yourself country line dancing video! oh, i feel a hot date with my vcr coming on!!!

- playing "advanced satellite hangman" with vixen on monday (the person who guesses the letters is the only one who is allowed to write, so whoever picks what the word/words is, has to figure it all out in their head... or, as we did it, out loud, using the word "chach" for all the blanks & letters they couldn't announce yet). hahahaha

there's so much more, it was just such an awesome, awesome weekend, i can't even sum it up right now. great to hang with the usual suspects, an extra delight to hang with some new people, and overall, a fanfrickenmatastic way to cap off the summer. ::

cheers!

Well Zero, if you asking me, my weekend had a very happy ending... but it was nothing to do with the 20 bucks... nor either of the two ladies that provided that fantastic massage... (not to say that you guys aren't aweseome)

My happy ending didn't cost a cent!

Wow, what a fantastic weekend! This was the smallest yet best fest this year. Attitudes were almost at a non-existant point.

Ups: All the music!

The endless games we played at our site: musical chairs, charades, telephone, fantasy story telling, full on hypnotism, stand up comedy and many rounds of plain imagination.

The girls were wonderfully beautiful and the friends in pill form were amazingly clean and rocket launching.

downs:

Stereo in the fire and toxic black smoke,...not cool!

Bragging about burning the stereo in a fire,....very not cool. When we're not aware of the simple things like environment, our collective is soiled.

Price gouging at the confectionary,...Booooooooo!

All in all,...good times! My favorite all year.

I could go on forever but I'll shall stop here.

peace

PalacePrincess, you write awesome reviews ... you are an observant, intelligent woman with a great sense of humour.

I totally agree with this:

ctmf always draws a fantastic selection of people, and this weekend was no exception. above & beyond the folks you already know and hope to run into, i couldn't help but notice that overall, the vast majority of those in attendance were some of the kindest, most respectful, fun loving folks to be surrounded with. even more so than usual at these things (and that's saying a lot!). none of the sketchiness that seemed to run rampant at the last fest was apparent (wellllll, for the most part), and i was shocked to see how many people actually came prepared for the weekend! used to the po-ass wook factor , i always bring a bit extra of everything, but i think i only had maybe 3 or 4 people ask me even for cigarettes all weekend (as opposed to the 3-4 hundred it seemed last time). no beer stolen either! ctmf always draws a good crowd, but i have to say, this particular fest was absolute top notch in that regard.

And I agree with most of this:

it's been mentioned before and i'll mention it yet again -- babsy mudcock & backbacon having dance-offs up at the stage. the energy from you two was enough that i'm surprised sparks weren't flying off you -- y'all put the tonins to shame, i swear.

;) :: :);)

Peace, Mark

awww, MARK!!! what a sweet and wonderful thing to say, thank you very much. i think the same of you too. only with man instead of woman. heehee

(and just between you & me, that flash in the pan babsbacon backcock dance troupe may splash forth with fast & furious give'r, and while i will admit they are uber, uber impressive and have some top notch unbeatable grooves, they've still got nothin' on the hardcore tonin endurance... those boys'd be a heap on the ground before either of you two would even break a sweat. :) )

oh yeah, numbers eleven and twelve for my favourite top ten from the weekend (it makes sense to me, so shooosh!)

11. paan and persephone, what would a festival be without some deities?

12. tala, totally forgot what they were called due to the severe impairment of my language capabilites from extra-heady mushrooms!

ok and number thirteen too.

13. extra heady mushrooms.