Jambands.ca

On this day: Lightfoot illness 09/07/02

TimmyB

from www.billboard.com on Tuesday September 7, 2004.

2002 - Canadian singer/songwriter Gordon Lightfoot, 63, is rushed to the hospital with an undisclosed stomach illness, just hours before he is due to perform in his hometown of Gorilla, Ontario. Lightfoot undergoes surgery the following day.

Thank the maker that Gordon Lightfoot is still with us. After being treated at MacMaster for some time he has promised to do his first full concert as a benefit to the workers at Mac in Hamilton. Hopefully he keeps his word, I would love to go to this gig.

Gordon Lightfoot ROCKS HARD live. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration, considering few folkies really, 'rock hard', but I highly encourage anyone who has the chance to see him. He used to do long runs at Massey Hall in Toronto every 18 months, and if he does that again all of you should try to get there. I think Lightfoot summed it up best when he said:

"I've been referred to as the 'Bob Dylan of Canada'. I don't know how true that is, but it was Bob Dylan who said it."

"I've been referred to as the 'Bob Dylan of Canada'. I don't know how true that is, but it was Bob Dylan who said it."

True.

And Gord will be doing the Mac benefit.Or so a little bird at Grant St. studio's told me a few months back...

Only musician I have seen more the Dylan.

bs5r.jpg

Canadian Idol had a Gordon Lightfoot themed show a few weeks back that was really good. Lightfoot was in attendance and seemed touched by the recognition. As much as shows like this get sh!t upon, they sometimes deserve just as much credit for exposing a mass audience to some pretty cool songs and ideas.