Jambands.ca

Festival Express - Ottawa

Velvet

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish we could join in on mavericks. we gotsta go home after work (like now!) so we're just gonna bbq up them killer burgs sitting in the fridge. If there's time to stop by for a beer, we'll try.

My friend Randy from work is coming too!

Hux is gonna drive everyone crazy when bobby's onscreen!

I saw it last Friday but didn't say anything on purpose until others saw it.

I enjoyed Janis and some of the Band but over all was not that impressed. The drunken jams on the train were drunken rambling jams. Buddy Guy, who I have seen smoke live in the eary 80's and heard kill on record was LAME. The Dead ... out of key and weak ... sorry Dead fans.

It was very cool to see the musicians having such a good time and interesting history but I doubt I'll buy the DVD when it comes out. My advice is see it once to enjoy the history. I couldn't see watching it again and again at home (like say the Zep DVD, Jimi DVD's, Floyd Pompeii, Woodstock ...).

Steve

I'm not entirely sure the film meant to document the great performances of the Festival Express. Rather, it intended to document the vibe of the musicians and fu©king great party. I think it suceeded in that. Like many of us on this board, I just so happen to party with musicians and music fans, and I could certainly see a lot of similarities between the people I hang out with and the people on that train. It was nice to see that our idols were the same idiots we are.

But to that end Ms. Hux I was disappointed with the lack of train footage, which was instead replaced with mostly lacklustre stage shots of artists who, as the narrator and the artists themselves said, were always more excited to be on the train then doing a show.

Seeing Rick Danko looking halfway handicapped got me thinking that the lack of train footage in the finished product may have been due to artists not signing off on the footage of themselves. There was something like 40 hours of footage right? I hope the DVD fills in more of the train action because that was definitely the highlight.

I liked the Janis parts as well as seeing Buddy Guy and company onstage. Sylvia Tyson was horrendous. All in all it was a fun 90 minutes but I really think the train was where the action was and wish that was representaed more in the film.

My experience last night was made annoying by an old couple and their 30 something son talking through the whole goddamn thing behind me an moeron. I "shhh'd" them within the first 10 minutes, which i've never done before in my life. They eventually got back up to full volume clapping along to the 'the weight', tapping their knees against our seats, even talking about how they'd seen it the night before and had missed the preview. 'Dat's Richard Danko, thats Robert Robertson. I think the band is canada's beatles. is dat jerry garcia, it is it is!' i felt bad and started to think they must be handicapped or something so I stopped turning my head and making pissed off noises. Low and behold, the lights came on and they were just stupid assholes! :: anyway, i thought the best part was when Jerry said to Janis 'I loved you since I met you, but you know that'.. great magical music vibe though. The promoter was definitley the man.

It was fun to see the drunken vibe on the train. My problem was that I've been waiting for this movie for so long, perhaps I had it built up to be more than it is. My brother in law saw Janis on this tour and has been raving all these years (of course, Janis didn't let me down).

No offsense intended. Like I said, I wasn't going to piss on the thing before any of you had seen it.

Steve