Jambands.ca

Stones Return To 'Rock And Roll Circus'

TimmyB

from www.billboard.com

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. September 07, 2004, 3:45 PM ET

Stones Return To 'Rock And Roll Circus'

As tipped here last month, ABKCO will on Oct. 12 offer the first DVD release of the Rolling Stones' "Rock and Roll Circus." The December 1968 concert was filmed for a television special but was never broadcast. It was finally released on CD and VHS in 1996.

The DVD edition is sourced to the original 16mm negatives, while the audio has been remixed in 5.1 Surround Sound. Commentary tracks are offered from Rolling Stones members Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Bill Wyman, plus Yoko Ono, Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson, Marianne Faithfull and director Michael Lindsay-Hogg, among others.

Among the previously unreleased clips are a backstage meeting between Jagger, Ono and John Lennon; an alternate take of Lennon performing the Beatles' "Yer Blues" with Mitch Mitchell, Richards and Eric Clapton; three additional Taj Mahal songs; an interview with the Who's Pete Townshend; and Fatboy Slim's 2003 remix of the Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil."

"Rock and Roll Circus" features the Stones performing tunes that had just appeared on their "Beggars Banquet" album: "Parachute Woman," "No Expectations," "Sympathy for the Devil" and a giddy version of "Salt of the Earth." They also performed their current hit at the time, "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and premiered "You Can't Always Get What You Want," which would debut the following year on the album "Let It Bleed."

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

I can't wait, even though I've owned the video and CD for many years now. I'm looking forward to hearing everything in 5.1 audio, plus the Taj Mahal unreleased performances - Taj along with his great lead guitarist, the late great Jesse Ed Davis, were really smokin' that night. The Who ruled the day however.