Jambands.ca

RIP Kenny Buttrey

secondtube

Dylan drummer Buttrey dead at 59

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- Drummer Kenny Buttrey, who recorded hits with Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Jimmy Buffett, died Sunday. He was 59.

Family members said he died of cancer at his home.

Buttrey worked much of his career in Nashville recording studios, providing the percussion for albums including Dylan's "Nashville Skyline" and "Blonde on Blonde," and Young's "Harvest."

"He told me the other day that the two songs that were his favorites were 'Lay Lady Lay' with Bob Dylan and 'Heart of Gold' with Neil Young," said his wife, Cheri Buttrey.

Buttrey's other drummer credits include Buffett's "Margaritaville" and Robert Knight's R&B single "Everlasting Love." He also played with the Southern rock group Barefoot Jerry.

Kenny Died Peacefully At Home Last Night, Sunday, September 12, At 10:15pm. His Wife Cheri Held Him In Her Arms. Both Of Their Daughters, Kenzie And Keri Were Home With Him As Well. Cheri Wants Everyone To Know How Peaceful Kenny Was. Funeral Services Are Being Finalized And Will Most Likely Be This Coming Saturday, September 18, With A Memorial Service Perhaps The Following Saturday. Your Thoughts And Prayers Can Be Conveyed To Cheri, Kenzie And Keri At: TheButtreyFamily@KennyButtrey.Com

Outside of the horse, Kenny was my favorite drummer Neil employed.

May you rest in peace Kenny,

I'm glad to read that he died with those he loved and those who loved him by his side. I hope his bout with cancer wasn't to long and painful.

I had always hoped to see a Stray Gators show one day, I guess that's becoming less and less likely. Jack Nitzsche left us a couple of years ago, but he was replaced by Spooner Oldham in the Stray Gators for the "Harvest Moon" sessions. But now that Kenny Buttrey is gone it looks like it may never happen again.

I guess the closest I'll ever get to a Gators show with Neil Young are the Friends & Relatives shows in 2000 with Ben Keith and Spooner Oldham. Though I do hope Neil tours with Tim Drummond again with Ben and Spooner plus someone else on drums to replace Kenny. Maybe Jim Keltner? It would be a great tour.