Jambands.ca

my poor car

dancingbear

I know my brother had an old car once (known as White lightening)....and it just kept sucking the money from his wallet. It too had good stickers and stories, but finally when the passenger side door fell off...it was time to say good bye.

Weigh your pros and cons....if you think you are going to start putting more money into it then you paid ....maybe it's time for a new car.

Good luck - cars can be such a pain in the ass! If I didn't have to carry my massage table around I would reconsider having one.

why'd your tranny go after so few k's? that's really good mileage for a car that old. if it's got a good body fix er up. if not, well scrap 'er, she won't be worth much more than that.

old cars suck. i'm got an 89 buick lesabre that's got 169 000 k's. good ol' car. i put about 600-800 into her every 4 or 5 months. basically it's like car payments, but it's unexpected and usually poorly timed, and all at once. but what can you do? gots ta get around.

disclaimer: i'm a girl that can't change a flat tire so beware of my advice :)

As a further to Alexis' post, old domestic cars suck. To have such a major component go when the car is 10 years or less is testament to the quality of most of them, save the expensive ones. My 95 corolla hasn't had any major repairs other than replacing a timing belt and getting new tires 2 years ago.

Edit: My car has 170 000 kms

I just had my car fall apart. timing belt went and caused damage to all the valves. I had to spend $400.00 to find out it will cost me another $800.00 at least. Still waiting for conformation of that a week later. For us, the bottom line was that we needed a car and there is no way we could afford to get a car as good as the one we have once its fixed.

Having a car is always a financial drag. That's why I'm planning on making the switch to a personal helicopter.

once the tranny is gone in a car its fu©ked.. if you have the 2 grand to fix it, i suggest putting that money towards a new(er) car. i guarantee if you fix the tranny somehting major will happen again within the next year or so.

True.If you attempt to just have it fixed.But rebuilt transmissions last as long as new ones if you buy one from a reliable source.I know the one I had in my 81 buick le sabre years back was over 15 years old and the odometer had rolled over once on it before I even put 350,000 on it before selling it.Never had one problem.

trannies??

come on cars shouldn't be so confused. it's pretty hard...all the other cars beating up on them and calling them names. take pity on your car and get a rebuilt transmission. if it's structually sound it'll last awhile.

it's the perfect time to get it rustproofed. if you take the rebuilt tranny angle you can afford to get it rustproofed if it's in need...cheaper than $2000 for just the transmission.

i say do your car up and make it happy. get a new air freshener and wax er up. make your car shine...take a day to detail it and treat yourself. it'll make you feel a lot better about your car and maybe you won't drive it like a fool ever (hey - the crappier a car is the worse it gets driven seems to be the trend. not meaning you drive foolishly. i don't even know your driving habits)

my car's a '90 and is still on 5 digits. i used to drive a taurus. i liked its drive and space. not a babe magnet but can you really get down in the back of a corvette??

best of luck...don't count your car out. you'll miss her.

Used trannys from the junk yard are not worth it.

Agreed,I guess my first post read as I did.But most wreckers will buy your old one for some cash at least the one I go to for parts once in awhile.I got $75 for mine out of my 88 Chevy 20 and it had no reverse left in it when it crapped out.Then bought the rebuild for $275 (regular $350) from my buddy's garage.

I went through a stage with an old car with low kms. I had it for 3 years, never had to do anything "major" when all was said and done I did the math. I could have driven a cheaper leased vehicle for the same cash. ie. sunfire, cavalier or echo, not to mention kia/hyundia and company. I'd go for a $175 lease if I were you... reliable and won't cost any more then what you pay to keep that on the road...

incidentally, I read in a book once that old cars cost usually cost more then $1500/year to run on average...

old domestic cars are not crap! this guy named paul johnson who is keeping a chevette for me (ok really it's just his car and i love it so i ask him if i can buy it every time i see him) and it is a '79 with 200k and he bought it for $300 and hasn't had any real problems with it. i tell ya', it shall be mine, oh yes, it shall be mine.

i also had a 1987 volvo 740 gle with over 400k and it ran great. unfortunately i co-owned it with someone else and since they actually had a licence when we split i thought it would only be fair that they kept the car. i miss maggie.

I just sold my 1990 VW Jetta today (owned it 9 years - 215,500 kms) to a 60 yr. old Portugese man named Jack. He didn't even want to test drive it, he was just stoked that it was standard and paid slightly less than asking price but still within my acceptable price range - cash. No inspection or anything, just checked for a spare tire and that was it. It was a surreal experience driving him around town to change the plates and insurance etc., We (he) talked about most of his life story but not so much about the car itself. (I tried, but he wasn't that interested) The whole meeting/transacton took about 30 minutes - that's crazy considering all the lengthy test drives and examinations I've been through in the last few months with cheapskate tire-kickers.