Jambands.ca

"Movie Night In Canada"

Mr. Musicface

So to fill the large hole in it's schedule/revenue stream, CBC has just annouced it will show movies on Saturday nights during the hockey season. The schedule actually looks pretty good:

Oct. 16

Disney’s Dinosaur

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Jaws

Oct. 23

A Bug’s Life

Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom

Blazing Saddles

Oct. 30

Remember The Titans

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade

Young Frankenstein

Nov. 6

Pocahontas

Back To the Future

Psycho

Nov. 13

Disney’s The Kid

The Mexican

The Birds

Nov. 20

Happy Gilmore

Bagger Vance

Tin Cup

Nov. 27

Disney’s Tarzan

A.I.: Artificial Intelligence

Rear Window

Dec. 4

Lilo and Stitch

Legally Blonde

Hustler

Dec. 11

Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron

The Last Castle

The Usual Suspects

Dec. 18

Alice Through The Looking Glass

The Royal Tenenbaums

Get Shorty

Peace,

Mr. M.

No idea Jaimoe, but my understanding is usually broadcast TV uses pan-and-scan mainly 'cus the resolution sucks so bad, you're losing tonnes of visual information by doing the box. DVDs can get away with it 'cus the base amount of info is so much higher that you can get a better picture.

Too bad, I agree pan-and-scan sucks. All time worst moment - JKF, where Costner is talking to Donald Sutherland on the bench, and they keep having to pan between them TOTALLY breaking the tension of the scene! Grrrr...

- M.

Too bad, I agree pan-and-scan sucks. All time worst moment - JKF, where Costner is talking to Donald Sutherland on the bench, and they keep having to pan between them TOTALLY breaking the tension of the scene! Grrrr...

- M.

The worst examples of pan-and-scan are Lawrence Of Arabia, Ben Hur, Raiders Of The Lost Arc, The Bridge On The River Kwai.

guess i dont watch movies enough...i have no idea what panscan is..

It's when widescreen movies ( like the one's in the theatre ) are formatted to fit your square television set. Since movies are rectangular, the image is scanned from one side of the screen to the other so you will see what's in the shot.

U.F.P. - ditto on the whatever. This thread is way less "gay" (as you put it) than many going at any time on this board.

The horizontal rectangular format better fills the field of vision. Think about it - you have two eyes, side by side. If they were one on top of the other, a vertical rectangle would be better.

Jaimoe - I was gonna add that it took almost fifty years for TV to catch up to film in the superior rectanglular format. That's why HDTV is a very similar aspect to film.

- M.