Jambands.ca

ottawacentric

Im going home Donny

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having grown up in Westboro I could make some recommendations.

unfortunately Gentle Annie's is no longer open.. so if you want to be boozing in Westboro proper you are pretty much stuck with Whispers or Puzzles.

If you are willing to venture a bit further east into West Wellington Village and Hintonburg you've got the Tartan Pub, The Royal Oak, Daniel O'Connell's, Paradise, The Carleton Tavern, and some swankier restaurants on Holland and Wellington.

Thanks, Pat. I've been to Gentle Annie's once or twice; last time I was in Westboro, it was all emptied out, but there was a sign saying something about a new Gentle Annie's coming, but I don't know what (if anything) is up with that.

Does Westboro have any good musical venues? It seems like a neighbourhood that could have a musical pub (even something along the lines of Irene's in the Glebe), one that could support small acts, both in terms of stage requirements and audience draw.

Aloha,

Brad

Whispers I believe books those "one man band" kinda acts but I'm not sure. Gentle Annie's used to be all about the pub music (I played a great seisun there on Thursday nights until they shut down).

In West Wellington Village and Hintonburg both The Royal Oak and Daniel O'Connell's book bands. The Oak books small acousitic acts and Daniel O'Connell's tends to book only Irish/celtic kinda stuff (though they may have moved on from that format for all I know).

Danny's does host the old Thursday night seisun that used to be at Gentle Annie's though, and that's a great time. I try to get out to that as much as I can but unfortunately my time has been pretty tied up recently and I haven't been able to make it to as many seisun's as I once could.

on a complete side note.. you need to send me your address man :)

Well O'connell's has a great name, patio and entertainment.....sounds like a Wednesday to me :) Though Wispers is so close to a whole Bees nest of Westborons it might be silly not to go plus mabey I can drag the entire nest out if we go there?

Is O'connel's the one across from The Oak?

Yep. Same side of the street as the Oak, very close to each other. O'Connell Pub is at 1205 Wellingon, the Oak is at 1217.

And then there's the Carleton Tavern. Your cousin has to see that little neighborhood drinking hole too! This guy I know lives near there and goes there every night! Supposedly the food isn't bad either. They have 7 dart boards there, well, that's what I read on a web site anyway. Whoo hoo! I say you take him to all 3 places. Carleton Tavern is close to the Oak and O'Connell...few minutes walk, 223 Armstrong.

I think the only consensus is that westboro and its children are TOTALLY AWESOME!! Boro for life, baby. All we need is a ball room (like Ikea has) for adults, that serves booze, and it'll be hands down the best neighbourhood in town.

long live Gentle Annies too. ole Des McCann, you never knew if he'd be telling you stories about his days as a boxer in Ireland, or trying to beat your ass up in the alley.

He was/is a true ladies man.

The underage drinking hole when I was at Nepean was Tin Tin's on Richmond Road. That was pretty wild. I think it became Mr. Kam's and then something else. But that was back in the days when there was a strip club at Richmond and Athlone(?) -- Ali Baba's or something like that.

Did y'all do the weekly Friday night party at Westboro Beach? "The Beach"!