Jambands.ca

I just don't get it (slip related you geeks)

Schwa.

I have a serious problem with the hype these guys are getting. They put me to sleep in a big way, phuckin yawnsville people. I got a show offa backbacon years ago and was not impressed....then i went to Frontier a year or so back and the hype that surrounded them was ridiculous in relation to the show i saw (very mellow and anti-climactic) . no problem, i usually always give my 'musically educated' friends the benefit of the doubt and very often give music second and third chances to see if i might someday 'get it', god knows i've been through the same thing a hundred times trying to convey Phish's brilliance to the common folk.

This takes us to Detroit where i saw the Slip play with STS9. BOOoooo. Very boring show to say the least....BUT, i'm still not through giving these guys their due....i'm thinkin how can so many people like this band SOOOOOO MUCH, to the point that they practically come up in every damn thread on this board regardless of the topic (insert rolleyes here)

So, i DL a show of theirs from 2003, not sure of the date but if anyone would like i can find the it if necessary -> didn't like it.

Earlier today i saw a post from Quigsy in the BT forum so i decide that they warrant yet another try (for crying out loud)

Geezus Murphy people, what the hell do you see in this band that i am missing??!!??!!

They're boring!

thank you and goodnight.

P.S. - BEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its become a bit of task for me. to understand the appeal of such a boring sounding band. I'm listening to the 9-14-2004 show you recommended Disc 2 Track 1 and the singer's voice is atrocious, very offkey.

I realize that i don't have to 'get it', i'm no novice. Just trying to get a handle on why there is as much hype as there is.

Lets try this, tell me what you like about the slip. Not just you Quigsy, everyone, cause i know there are about 50 hard core slip fans around here (if the bandwagon speeds up hold on tight, we wouldn't want you to fall off) OK, sorry for the sarcasm, really, tell me what you like about The Slip.

Go.

i'll be honest, i don't know anything about the slip.

i have seen them twice...come together and hamilton...

i think their name says it all.....THE SLIP...

both times, i just slipped into this place where i just let them take me for this wonderful ride...

it may be mellow, but it doesn't mean its not intense.

don't get me wrong, i'm all for the mellow tunes/mellow bands.

I even don't mind the slip when i'm chillin, messin around on this computer-ma-thingy. but to have people put members of this band into the 'supergroup' category....i'm sorry but no.

i do agree that music need not be crazy to be intense. citing SKB (aside from that crazy mofo Rodney Holmes) there is serious intensity in their music, particularly their slow stuff, My Favourite Things comes to mind.

just to cover any more 'you don't get it' remarks lets try to stick to the tangible.

hahahahaha, thats a funny remark about the bandwagon speeding up, considering the fans they're losing over the fact that they're playing less jazz than they used to and, whether or not it is attributed to this, they are gaining more fans. i think its just timing, but whatever the case..

ok yeah, brad doesnt have the best voice, thats a given, but its not about how it sounds, its about how he speaks it. i always knew it wasnt a great voice, but for some reason i always loved it, maybe because i like to sing, too, but i have an even worse voice, so, i could relate to that feeling of just wanting to belt it out.. i dont know... im more or less thinking this through as i type, im just sayin its a relation i could make... walking back to our hotel around 6am in montreal bouche likened it to the jerry voice. again, not the greatest, but it was distinctive, it was from the soul, deep in the soul, it meant something when he sang.. i dont think he's too far off. so, in that regard, maybe its a relationship with the music that i can make, and maybe you, or anyone else cant, i really dont know. in terms of the music, their style and playing ability, man, this is such a subjective thing and thusly hard to explain, but its just the way it comes across. there's a real honesty in every note they play... or i hear, rather... its about interpretation, right? there's conviction, anyhow. to address some things you've mentioned you heard, yes, come together was a mellow show, but its the little things about that show... the intricacies in their transitions.. listen to how they take the woods into decembers children... an early early version no less, and its seamless, beautiful... the imagine into blue moon, c'mon... the whole trip of song of mysterious origin... thats what the beauty of that show is, those things, mellow yes, but its the little things.

and after listening to 9.14.04 (i posted while i was still downloading), i'll agree that its not the best show.. i kinda forgot about it, too. they're human. :: we'll let it slide... but 9.15, i listened to tonite and its pretty fu©kin good. :P

i can see where you might get bored, in general, im with ya on that, but i guess for me to explain it, you just have to think that in this case whatever it is that bores you has the exact opposite effect on me. sometimes i can get caught up in their patterns... there are a lot of patterns in their music, and it can be like a spiral, you can get sucked in and eventually you're in this box of sound, and you kinda get swallowed up and you're not really concerned with whether or not you're going to get out, i mean, its music, and you know its music, so obviously you know that you're going to get out, the music is going to take another turn, but you couldnt really care less about when or how.. i like things like that. i like that i can focus in on any player at any given time and hear something completely different, and then step back and take all 3 in and put it all back together. i dunno, see, i told you this was hard to explain...

im gonna go out on a limb and say its brad that writes most of the lyrics... i dont really know, but he sings them, so its my assumption, even though i think friedman writes most of the music... anyways, lyrically, i think brad is coming into his own and i'd put him up there with someone like jeff tweedy as far as how much what he has to say interests and means to me. its a lot. and musically, well, to each their own, but i feel like the 3 of them have such a grasp on their instruments, they can play just about anything they feel like and make it sound good. they seem to have great intuition as to what the others are going to do.

listen to how quick and on point andrew is on the kit and how clean friedman sounds. these guys are the backbone.

i played a shitload of slip for my old roommate when we were living together, to the point that he thought i was a nutcase... fair enough, but he's crazier, regardless... anyways, of course there were some things he didnt enjoy and he let me know about them, and he got me to listen more objectively, so i can understand the side of the fence your on, jeff, but its funny because now that we dont live together he'll stop by and if the slip arent in the cd player he'll request it because he craves it now. he said to me one night that if he ever had to describe to someone of a different culture what american music was, he would tell them to listen to the slip. break it down, and i think he makes some sense. i mean, american music is broken down into so many little divisions, but these guys can and do play many of them. they take them mash them and blend them up and make them their own. jazz, the blues, strong lyrical folk/rock.. think of foods, cultures of the world, and turn them into music. if we take it a little further, its like an influence, or taken outright, from someone else and making it more personal and re-creating it as your own... something truly "american"... so it encompasses all of that.

i dunno, man... i really dont know what the point of all this is. i really dont expect you to be a believer, i mean its a connection i make with a band that you dont. im sure there is something meaningful for you that i cant grasp.

with me it was being at live shows that put in the hooks, and once I was hooked then listening to live shows really meant a lot more to me... you get hooked on their live presence... I also find that at first they're an easier band to get to know through their albums than their recorded live shows

before I'd seen enough shows, listening to live shows wasn't doing it for me... I'd hear a bit that I'd really like then it'd lose me

see ya in Hamilton ;)

but to have people put members of this band into the 'supergroup' category....i'm sorry but no.

well, i was trying not to bring it up, but i guess i will... fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but my opinion of your opinion is that you're wrong. to back myself up all i'll say is you should give a listen to the ice cream truck show, particularly the soft machine, and listen to how they speak to each other with their instruments. its a conversation. i dont care if you dont like it, if you cant admit that these guys are serious players, than, well, i really dont know what to say, this whole thing is beyond pointless.

Choix, you should give "Surprise me Mr. Davis" a shot. It's the music of the slip (which I think everyone agrees is very competent at least), plus some really good songs/vocals from Nathan Moore.

The show that circulates really well by them is tihs one:

03/06/2004: Eclipse Theater (Starlight Lounge): Waitsfield, VT

Set I: Rolling Home, To You, Money Money Money, "I have tons of unprotected sex, I smoke lots of cigarettes...", Tin Can Coffee Cup, Nellie Jean^, Mardi Gras, Summer of My Fall

Set II: Hell of a Night*, I'm in No Hurry to Get to Heaven, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Holly Would, Big Lights, Snowed In, Leslie tune-?, The Woods, Movin' by Lovin'

Encore: Before You Were Born> Moral Decay> It's Good to Be Back Home, Ambrosia Drunk

Notes: ^ w/ "Knives Out" (Radiohead) tease. * Tetris song. [ tasoula and kosta ]

I'm pretty confident that this thread will not dilute to "Why don't you like them" in the same way that despite many threads where people have expressed a love for the band, it hasn't been phrased as "The Slip fu©king rulez doodz!".

They may not be for everyone but like paisley it was seeing them live that truly knocked me down. There hasn't been any Jamband (there's that word again?!) before or after that I've ever been so devoted to. I saw Phish a few times and enjoyed myself but found myself asking the same questions about them that you're asking about the slip.

Meh. If you've heard their live material and seen them live more than once I have complete respect for that. No need to be slain by them...and no need for anyone to slay you for not liking them

P.S. I wish the past tense of slay was "slaw"

i liked what i heard before seeing them live, and once i did see them it was a done deal. i was completely mesmerized from start to finish. it's hard to put my finger on exactly what it is i like about them... but that whole idea of honesty that guigs and velvet brought up makes sense... i never really thought of music in those terms but it fits.

plus - they banged on pipes with flip flops and it sounded awesome! that deserves some recognition ::

can't wait for october!

I find that The Slip is a band I like to be able to see (as opposed to just hear). Their musicianship is off the charts and I'm drawn to watch/learn from them, especially Brad. The vocals may not be for everyone (see the DiscoBiscuits) but they have a certain emotional quality to them.

Whoa another great thread. We're really on a role here people!

Like some of you have mentioned, I too haven't been drawn to a band as intensley as I am with the Slip. They play with such skill and emotion. The skill is what impressed me at first. Three musicians obviously well trained in theory and masters of their chosen instruments. Their songs amalgamate various forms of music from jazz to country to folk to the blues, but are all given a unique spin. I appreciate artists who do things their own way.

If the skill drew me to them, then the emotion kept me there. The lyrics are poetic, their stage presence is very intense and note for note, word for word is from the heart and very in the moment. I can't think of many other bands that I've seen that I can compare this level of emotion to. Jerry Garcia is a good one. Though I've never seen him live, his recordings melt my heart and the passion is comparable.

You know, the first time I saw or even heard them was at the Come Together Fest. I wasn't sold that night. I'm used to raging at Frontier Town to JSB and nero, and the night before Wasabi had me dancing like a banshee. So I wasn't in the right space for them that's for sure. I didn't see what the big deal was myself. The more I listened to those incredible bass lines, tempo changes, lyrics and rhythms, the more I loved them.

The Slip are an inspiration to any musician that wants to make great music.

The Slip make music that can be enjoyed on many levels. By using some of the most basic things to create a melodic theme that gets stuck in your head and harmony that almost seems unique to them, and to homogenize that with a rhythm that just feeeels really good, they suprise me at every turn. I'm still learning tune names, but Torque and that PVC pipe tune come to mind.

When I get caught up, not in the forefront of their music, but actually in the overtones and the waves that you can feel when they mesh some dissonance with their sounds it proves how deep music can go and that you can actually feel it. I think The Slip (mainly Brad) basically has become a huge influence on my own playing, and his tremelo usage (see waves comment) pretty much sent me to ebay to pick up a device to allow me to explore the pulse at home.