Jambands.ca

Mark your calendars, Ottawans!

bradm

I just checked the calendar at Cafe Dekcuf, and they've added a few shows:

• Friday, Oct. 22: Jomomma & Contact*
  • Saturday, Oct. 23: Stephen Franke & Noises From The Toolshed, Chunga, and The Crowd
  • Friday, Nov. 5: nero
  • Saturday, Nov. 6: nero

I don't think there's been a two-night back-to-back Dekcuf nero run since, what, July, 2002? I also remember hearing that Franke got stuck with some less-than-stellar opening acts the last time he played Dekcuf; at least with The Crowd, it'll be good.

Aloha,

Brad

* Strangely, the Mavericks calendar lists "Contact with Guests" for Friday, Oct. 15, so I'm not sure what the situation is.

I also remember hearing that Franke got stuck with some less-than-stellar opening acts the last time he played Dekcuf; at least with The Crowd, it'll be good.

I'm flattered Brad, but I think the spotlight should be focused on Chunga (common.. Rob Frayne? forget it!) as a quality opening act and not us. We are really going to be the odd band out.. hmm.. should be an interesting evening.

The discussion about and proposals for the theme night are here; we might want to resurrect some of the unused ones (except for maybe the "carry a nude bradm around in a backpack" one, 'cause that'll make taping a bit tricky...).

And I didn't know Rob Frayne was in Chunga (as I'd never heard of them before). Oct. 23 should be a great night, especially if we can do BNB at Zaphod's first, with a (I hope) early finish, then haul mass to Dekcuf for a three-fer.

Aloha,

Brad

No, Punk & Friends was (IIRC) Saturday, Sept. 7, and wasn't really a "nero" gig: Dave & Jay were there on stage, but so was Geoff Smith and a guitar player / roommate of the Punk; no nero songs were performed, and at that point, PEIPunk wasn't a member of nero (or it hadn't been announced yet), but I think that was the first time all three had been on stage together. Punk & Friends was supposed to be a Downtime gig (with Slow Nerve Action, IIRC), but Downtime cancelled (and/or broke up), and P&F was put together on short notice.

nero did do a gig the night before, at Babylon, though, but I think that was still with Shane on bass.

One of my big taper's regrets is that I started taping (using Graham's rig) one week after Punk & Friends, and I don't think anybody else taped it, which is a shame, because it was a really fun night, especially to see that it was the Punk's band: he was in charge, end-to-end, and did a lot of singing, too. (Booche, you know your "LET JIMMY SING" t-shirt? I want one that says "LET PEIPunk SING".)

Aloha,

Brad

And I didn't know Rob Frayne was in Chunga (as I'd never heard of them before). Oct. 23 should be a great night, especially if we can do BNB at Zaphod's first, with a (I hope) early finish, then haul mass to Dekcuf for a three-fer.

last I heard he was.. which will be crazy..

and as for a three-fer at Dekcuf.. maybe.. but with three bands playing.. I dunno man.. I figure us (The Crowd) will probably be on stage around the same time that Zaphod's is having their own show..

no worries though, as I'm sure you all know, we play a fair bit.. so catching us should be pretty easy

ARGH!!!!

I'm so MAD!!!!! I have to go to a stupid business conference with my boss in North Carolina in November!!!!!

Let's just hope my plane doesn't get in too late on the Saturday.....

Now I'm really sad!!!!!!!!

I know how you feel! I'm going to Montreal, for work, from November 15th to 26th. And I'm praying there are no good shows here while I'm there!! But I am hoping there's good shows in Montreal though!

As for the Stephen Franke show on October 23rd, I think Ollie and I will miss that one. Going to Govt Mule in Toronto on the 24th and planning to spend time with Toronto friends on the Saturday. But we'll check out the November Nero shows. Woo hoo!

Holy doodles!

Yeah Brad, I believe you are correct about 2002, and if my memory serves me well, we did a Trailer Park theme the first night. Seems only right that we attempt another *theme* night for one of those bad-boys. I am speaking about Nero, of course.

Hey, Hey - karma is on my side....right before I left work on Friday the airlines called and said my boss booked a phantom flight on the internet. They put us on an earlier flight - should fly into Ottawa 9:15Pm on Saturday!!! YAY!!!

(one request...if we do a theme night - we do it Saturday?? that would make me smile)

Have a great week all!!!

i dont' know how tragic early shows in ottawa really are...i used to whine about how crappy it seemed since i like to go to late shows, but promoters aren't taking advantage of this at all. i don't know why the scene isn't rallying around having cool after-zaphod's parties. it'd seriously be a good idea. flyer zaphod's at around 10:30 to midnight for another show. it's the perfect opportunity for people to really get into a FULL night of live music in o-town. i personally like the idea because if the zaphod's act wants to party with some fun pholk they can come and hang out down the street or around the block.

if the shows are promoted in tandem properly thngs could really go off.

any ideas??