Jambands.ca

the nude eel

p.p.

Last night, after deciding not to spend the cash on Soulive (I'm sure it was awsome) and not being to interested in BNB, I was treated to a surprise New Deal show. Wow! They ripped it up in the tinyest little venue, the Harmony Lounge. It reminded me of when One Step Beyond used to play at Lola's, across the street from Sneaky Dee's. It was fairly packed, but for a free show in a tiny venue of a band who had supposedly broken up, it was just fine. I guess they're gonna be doing some more touring now. Darryn played some electric drum set, but I'm sure in all future New Deal shows he'll be using real drums. It did sound pretty cool and they really ripped it up. So for being in town from the west for four days on my way to the east, I feel pretty friggen lucky to be able to see one of my favourite bands. I'm sure tonnes of people had a great night of music last night, so cheers to that.

By the way, TND said that they'll be playing a real show in late november or early december.

peace out.

Ahh... theNEWDEAL... Or as I used to like calling them, the Boo Deal. Or as JstSmkd1 used to say: the Poo Deal (I always liked that one...). Glad people are excited to see them "coming back" (when did they ever really leave?). Not my kind of thing, I find it far too house-y for my liking. They can definately sound electronic, in fact they do that better than any other band I've heard. I just think that band died when they brought out that girl to sing with them. That just sucked ass... I can't justify paying to see them. I only saw them once live, but it was one of the worst shows I saw that year (2002, Opera House, Toronto). They hit their peak in the summer of 2003, in my opinion, then decided to mix it up, add vocals and that girl, and it all went downhill from there. I've heard my fair share of this band, in fact at one point me and Alexis had accumulated over 50 shows, and they just don't do it for me... If I want to hear beats done properly, I'll go see a DJ. Pretty much every band these days has either made or is making electronic songs and jams. The stuff Wassabi was doing in 2003 as a 4 piece (before they went all reggae on us) was, in my opinion, far more upbeat and true to trance type beats, then anything theNEWDEAL has done in their career. Wassabi didn't sound as electronic, and aren't half the musicians that tND are, but their shows were far more dancable. In other words, what are they doing that's so special? To those seeing them, enjoy the shows, but I most definately will not be in attendance...

ps: I agree with most of what you said Del...

For me, tND were never about listening to the recorded show afterwards, it was always about the entire dance-machine package in the moment. They had the most bitchenest light show combined with ground-breaking live instrumental breakbeat house music which had never been done before. Their live shows were insane! The build-ups, the release and the improvisation with the written parts was what it was all about. They were masters of their craft.

...until they went all down-tempo and brought in the vocals... (the last show I saw was pretty weak and boring) Hopefully the break did them good and they're ready to kick some ass again.

yes I'm coming for sure, flights are booked and if you could grab the lady and I a ticket each that would kick ace.

pm me your number so we can hook up before hand, and if you got any crash space for after the show that would great, and hopefully a lead to an after party (hint hint)

You guys got a gig that weekend or what?

cheers,

Jamesd.

i understand what you're saying del but i've got to say that i'm always a sucker for tND...i think that if they were to play how i wanted them to they'd be going backwards, or taking advice from somebody that has no place telling them what to do.

i like it when they take it down and play with dynamics. i think they need to be playing theatres. the shows at barrymore's and at the lyric in kitchener were the best new deal shows i've seen. nice vibe, cool light show and not the same crap over and over. they're uber talented and need to remember that they can do whatever they want and people will still check em out. i hope they get funkier and play around with a phat groove rather than just a deep one.

if i could be in a position to produce bands i think we'd have a lot less of del's whining. i hope the bands start reading these threads and save us from ourselves.

(del - your'e a smart guy and i understand where you're coming from...somebody's gotta be a cynic)

I've only seen the band twice, before the "change in direction" with vocals, and the band just didn't do it for me either time. I saw them at the Hillside festival and at The Lyric in Kitchener, and they definitely got people dancing, myself included, but I was rarely lost in the moment like I am when I am really into a band.

Having said that, I would go and check them out again for sure. Sometimes it takes a few (or more than a few) listens to get into it, and enough people whose musical tastes I respect are into this band to warrant me seeing them again. Plus they've got a cool road manager and a great lighting guy! :: ;)!

Peace, Mark

i used to be a big new deal fan, haven't seen them in 2 years... i always really enjoyed the live shows... there were moments when i got a little bored when they slooooowed her down, but that's just a personal taste thing. i think they're pretty amazing musicians. i have never seen them with vocals, not sure if i'd dig that. probably my favourite show was june 2002 at the opera house. aaanyway it's early and i'm rambling. my name is meggo and i like tND. :)

Ok... Here's the deal. There is no change in direction. They played one show to promote their one album with vocals. Done. Now they jam again. Three piece house/ breaks, mixed with whatever other kinds of beats they dersire. When a band like that makes an album in the studio, they try something different. It's called a project. Not a direction change. I know lots of people who don't care for that kind of music. Just like I know even more poeple who don't like Nero. It's just the way it is and that's fine. Most people that I know who don't like Nero think that their sound would be more interesting if they had vocals. That's their opinion. The New Deal are by far one of my favourite bands and I suggest that everyone give them a chance, especially if it's been a long time since the last time.