Jambands.ca

Are fish truly "pets"?

StoneMtn

I was just watching a pet TV show, and the fish-expert on today gives me reason to believe that no one really considers fish pets. She suggested for a fresh-water tank:

"... some small goldfish, some medium goldfish ... maybe something a little more interesting that eats other fish..." ::

(I should comment that I always thought of my late, bluish purple Chinese-fighting-fish, "Kirkham", as a true pet.)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in university my wife (at the time my girlfriend) had a fish with the best name ever, and he sorta got it by accident. She named her Siamease Fighting Fish after the lead singer from Pursuit of Happiness.

Without thinking about it, she ended up with "Moe Beta Fish".

That thing lived for like over a year! It was defintely a pet. She had other betas after that, but most of them only lived a few weeks. I guess they were pets too, but she never really formed an attachment to them the way she did to Moe. I'd say that's the main difference.

Peace,

Mr. M.

julio my beta lived for a year too. then i had to give him to someone to look after as there were no pets allowed in my building and he let julio's water evaporate! a$$hole. but i was thinking that by naming a fish that is an expression of the emotional bond. ricky has these two rabbits that he thinks he is raising for meat. i have named them stew and stir-fry. i am just waiting for my first check when i can get them a cage for our apartment as right now they are in a hutch at his parents' house. then i will have bunnies, yea! and when i put them in the same cage together i will have lots of bunnies! :) :) :)

dima! just after i thought 'decorations' i saw you posted the exact thing.

I don't see fish as pets unless they interact with you. i'm sure there are some fish somewhere that when youcome near the tank they swim around a bit more, but other than that they're just living things you feed. I personally don't believe fish to have the capacity to be a pet with their limited mental capacity (they only have a brain stem people) and the environment they live in.

it's kinda like when you can't relate to people that shop at the mall...you see them at a show and it's the same thing...floppin around, not knowing how to dance, just gently flailing their arms about, with no decided rhythm...colourful outer layers that look like they're not real or natural to us...but not quite like preppy folk...they can at least evolve and adapt over time.

Speaking of pets. 40 Main is bunny-sitting this week. I woke up on Sunday with a rabbit on my bed and no recollection of agreeing to take care of him. I don't even know the girl that left him here...who leaves their pet that (I assume) they love at 4O MAIN WITH A BUNCH OF PEOPLE SHE'S NEVER MET!?!?!!?

So I've re-named him "Stew" and the BBQ is warming up, lunch anyone??

I have a siamese fighting fish with no name. I think he's a year and a half. He's in a big bell jar with a few house plant cuttings in it. He swim around, comes to the top for food. He's very nonchalant about it and there are some times that I don't notice him but he's still a pet I guess. Every now and then he builds a bubble nest and I think about getting him a woman but I know he'd just eat her.

Bokonon, you gave up your pet fish because of a no-pet provision?! What kind of whacky building are you living in?