Jambands.ca

Reminder: The Beatles remain the best band ever.

MarcO

• 1 month later...

Since it was brought up, great songs (possibly some of the greatest) but over rated band. They had a chance but they fucking broke up. The world always pitted the Stones against the Beatles (Good Guys vs Bad Guys), the big difference, the Stones stayed together.

bouche, they broke up!!! They were right there and then they broke up. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THE BEATLES, but their greatness is overstated. People that never grew up with them (ie. pretty much all of us here) are, imo, more in love withe the Beatles potential than they are in love with the Beatles. The Dead played for something like 25 years before they made any money at it and they kept going because they loved each other and the music. That's a great band. The beatles broke up. They broke up on the cusp and that's really sad.

How big is the shit list anyway?

People that never grew up with them (ie. pretty much all of us here) are, imo, more in love withe the Beatles potential than they are in love with the Beatles.

correction, everyone grew up with the beatles, what I meant is people that grew grew up with them.

The Dead were pretty darn wealthy long before the 70's ended (and businessmen with many employees), even with the Mickey Hart/Courtney Love's father incident.

Wealthy? Not according to Lesh, at least as far as the business goes. I don't think they had much of anything until Touch of Grey video came out.

Edited by Guest

The Beatles went out on TOP!!!! Pure genius when it came to song writing, innovation, and recording (thank the stars and universe for the GREAT Sir George Martin!!!!!!!)

The Beatles called it a day before they could become a faded memory of their past. IT's much like Ricky Gervais' UK production of the Office. Nobody can EVER say that it jumped the shark. Likewise, The Beatles never jumped the shark in the musical sense.

The Beatles ARE the greatest and they will live on forever in the same vein as the great classical composers.

Just let it BE

62768127_d5e0481d0d.jpg

Edited by Guest

when I was 15 I had a guitar teacher who told me The Beatles had written all the greatest rock songs that could be written and though another great song might pop up here or there it was all over

I'll take the improv ;)

kidding... the Beatles Apple rooftop session that floats around out there in torrent land is a particular favorite... my theory on how they got to be so good is mainly they didn't have to answer to anyone cause no one really knew what they were doing, they caught everyone off guard... found it interesting in "The Long and Winding Road" documentary it was insinuated that the band did lots of speed pills (a little old lady sold from one of the men's room stalls in The Cavern) and very little sleeping during their early formative stint in Germany... I think the little old lady should've been compensated

Edited by Guest
yeah! yeah! yeah!

Since it was brought up, great songs (possibly some of the greatest) but over rated band. They had a chance but they fucking broke up. The world always pitted the Stones against the Beatles (Good Guys vs Bad Guys), the big difference, the Stones stayed together.

I fail to see how the Beatles "missed their chance", or how staying together is automatically better than breaking up.

Now, I don't mean to steal anyones face here but listen people, t-h-e-g-r-a-t-e-f-u-l-d-e-a-d. The Beatles have nothing on the Dead. I don't give a flying fuck what Q107 says.

Edited by Guest
cuz i sux ats words typinng

There's a point when you have to try not comparing your personal favourite band to The Beatles. The Who is my favourite band (followed closely by The Allmans) and I believe that The Who were one of, if not the most important hard rock band of the 60's and 70's. However, even I know that The Beatles and The Stones kick their asses in the larger creative pop music scheme of things.

There's a point when you have to try not comparing your personal favourite band to The Beatles. The Who is my favourite band (followed closely by The Allmans) and I believe that The Who were one of, if not the most important hard rock band of the 60's and 70's. However, even I know that The Beatles and The Stones kick their asses in the larger creative pop music scheme of things.

Thank you for being the voice of reason.

And with The Who, they finish #3 in my books only because they, meaning Pete, was not very prolific when it came to studio album output or even in releasing great 70's albums - a time when they should have reached their creative zenith. Moon was a big part of their decline. So was the changing music landscape, something that Townshend and company failed to lead in and around 1974-78.

The lessons The Beatles teach me is that music is unlimited and songcraft is the key to immortality. The fact that they also demonstrate the potential to participate in an awesome shift in popular culture is just cherry on the melodic cake.

My sense is that they really delivered a similar feeling to all of the artists we cherish today - not least the likes of the Grateful Dead - and that's a lot more than a cosmic jam can ever hope to do, as satisfying as it is.

It's not right to apply the train-spotting culture of the improvisational scene(s) to something as rock solid as the music of The Beatles. Whichever your preference, they're completely different - but crucially, not incompatible.

For the sake of argument (I'm sober and slightly more rational now) what if you were to replace the words "The Beatles" with the word "Elvis" in this thread? Although I like the Beatles a hell of a lot more than Elvis (I actually don't really like Elvis' music at all), Is Elvis not as important as the Beatles? If this is true, which of course is arguable, how could the Beatles be the so called greatest Rock Band?

The lessons The Beatles teach me is that music is unlimited and songcraft is the key to immortality. The fact that they also demonstrate the potential to participate in an awesome shift in popular culture is just cherry on the melodic cake.

The lessons [color:red]Elvis teach me is that music is unlimited and songcraft is the key to immortality. The fact that [color:red]he also demonstrate the potential to participate in an awesome shift in popular culture is just cherry on the melodic cake.

I realize it is stupid to compare bands to one another in terms of "greatness," and the Dead comparision is unfair. I still believe the Beatles Greatness is largley a product of revisionist history. They were made into something much bigger than they actually were and this destroyed them. I don't think the Beatles felt like they could live up to the hype any more. Many people here were slagging all "The Slip" talk when it was at it's height before their last run in Ontario. There was much talk of how the band was more hype than susbatance. This may or may not be true, but it is unfair to the band itself.

The fact that they also demonstrate the potential to participate in an awesome shift in popular culture is just cherry on the melodic cake

Potential, yes, unrealized potential, even more so.

Edited by Guest

I wouldn't call The Beatles "The Greatest Rock Band". They were a pop band, and the best the world will ever see.

Elvis? He's the King for many reasons, but he wasn't a songwriter, so he loses points. He was a bit of a sponge and a music kleptomaniac, however, his interpretations created a music revolution.