Jambands.ca

Reminder: The Beatles remain the best band ever.

MarcO

Bob Dylan changed Pop music, by singing about everyday topics, opening up the range of topics that could be discussed in a song...

The Beatles changed pop music, by using all types of different instruments, changing the format of what was typically allowed in a pop song.

it's funny how both beatles and bob dylan influenced each other... The Beatles got beyond the "I love you ya ya ya" lyrics and Bob went electric...

In the sixties these two forces changed music forever.

And here's the story of when The Beatles met Dylan.......

(please note the attending photo is from the Sgt Pepper's release party in London, Summer 1967 - each member of the Beatles were fried on LSD......... one of my favorite photo shoots eva!) ::

I just bought Pet Sounds on CD a couple months ago. I've been really digging the Beach Boys as of late. Forget the sh!t you hear on the radio (anyone on this board should know that by now) and delve deep into the catalogue. Throw on a pair of headphones and LISTEN.

The Beach Boys have absolutely brilliant compositions and harmonies like no other band before or since them. Brian Wilson, though not my favorite person, was indeed a genius. I think he'd be the first to tell you that too. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've been making my rambling way through "Revolution in the Head: The Beatles' Records and the Sixties" by Ian MacDonald and I must say it's possibly the finest academic study of the Fab Four I've ever seen.

His approach is unique: rather than a narrative, biographical approach, he goes through album tracks, album by album, single by single, in the order they were recorded (not released). This has the immediate appeal of charting the progress of their recordings and also offers the exact (as can be) breakdown as to who played what, when. That in itself is fascinating to me.

However, each entry is developed with social and cultural signposts that basically, taken together, serve as a complete history of The Beatles, well-researched and with well-argued critical analysis. For instance, the entry for "Revolution" disusses: the politics of the times in which it was written, where it was written, how it was developed, the various re-writes and attempts in the studio, how the song was received upon release, the impact it had on the socio-political landscape of popular culture (remember it was released one month before Martin Luther King was assassinated and at a time of radical student movements all over the world) and latter day reflections from the author and other speakers. Apply this approach to the whole of the Beatles recorded output, add in an impeccable attention to detail and a well-written, precise style of argument, and you have one of the finest books one can find about the Beatles.

If you're a Beatles freak, you really should take a look at this book. I actually am only reading a Hamilton Library copy but would buy it in a second if I saw it. Essential.

Did I mention that last Friday I listened to music all day long? And that I listened to NOTHING BUT THE BEATLES all day (until 1am when I switched over to the UofT reggae show, also excellent). That was a great day.

beatles.jpg

::

\("they needed a better drummer"), \

Are you kidding!?!?!?! Ringo was a fu©king awesome drummer! A "better" drummer would have ruined what the Beatles were going for. Really sit and listen to the drum parts (especially in the later stuff) and you'll notice how Ringo is a chameleon drummer his sound adapts to each song and he blends in perfectly with his surroundings. I'm not one for choosing favorite bands, but The Beatles are way up on the list... White Album baby!!!!

\("they needed a better drummer"), \

Are you kidding!?!?!?! Ringo was a fu©king awesome drummer! A "better" drummer would have ruined what the Beatles were going for. Really sit and listen to the drum parts (especially in the later stuff) and you'll notice how Ringo is a chameleon drummer his sound adapts to each song and he blends in perfectly with his surroundings.

What he said.

I just thought of the irony of - what if Ringo dies next? That would make all that Paul Is Dead stuff pretty ironic huh?

By the way, I agree that Ringo was perfect. I like that he basks in the fact that he was a Beatle. I saw him a few years ago in concert and he kept yelling into the mic "What's my name?"

"RINGO" we'd all yell back.

I don't know why I like that, but I do.

I once saw ringo on letterman - they were talking about how he was the train conductor on Thomas the Tankengine - dave asked him if he liked the gig - towhich ringo replied "I'm 18 inches tall and magical, dave. OF COURSE I like it!"

(loosely quoted - I've always loved ringo.)

specially during the era when he owned that hair salon - he had great hair that year.

i remember seeing it on a documentary once and I noticed that he had wicked hair in the film clip they showed while talking about it -- However i dont remember what the documentary was or when i saw it. So there is definitely a chance i'm making it up.

I have seen the ideas put here.

I have idly sat by, and listened to what you all had to say about these 'beatles'. You parade them around like they're some kind of Gods.

I have heard them covered, and tributed, and jazzed, and baroqued. Yes, the beatles are really, really something special.

Certainly this needs to be acknowledged, but MarcO, sitting at the top of his tower, feels the need to bombard us with constant bolts of fanboy lightning. [color:"red"] Well, I for one will not take it anymore!

So, in order to topple his opressive regime, I believe it is time for me to post some other foursomes that would beat the life out of the beatles. I'll even let the two who are no longer with us come back for the sake of showmanship...

1st -

batvil.jpg

Catwoman, the Riddler, the Joker and the Penguin.

Catwoman would simply charm the weaker-minded Beatles. Then it would only be a straight up 3 vs. 2 for Harisson and Lennon to take on The Penguin, Joker and Riddler. Riddler, not being very fight-oriented would likely flee, but Joker or Penguin would simply use one of their many ecoutrements to finish this one in less than five minutes.

Your beatles don't look so hot now, do they MarcO?

Well, try this on for size:

combo.jpg

The Berg, The Hogan, The Nicklaus and the Crenshaw.

Look, for those prices, you get so much food. Each sandwhich comes with fries and a fountain drink. Do you think ANY of the beatles could tackle the Over-sized Club? How about the cheesesteak? I don't.

And, finally MarcO, I give you:

christina_applegate1.jpg

The channel 4 evening news team, featuring Ron Burgandy (Minus Christina Applegate, as she's an interloper. Just the four guys).

I think we can all imagine how this one goes. She Loves You Yeah, Yeah, Yeah doesn't even come close to having the chops to take on such a finely honed newsteam.

You see, MarcO, It's all falling down around you. Your beatles are just four Liverpool prats who don't have what it takes to survive in our modern superword. Maaaaybe back in the 1950s to 70s they were kings of the mountain... but now.... now we just have our true ruler.

dubya.jpg

All hail the next four years!!!

I'm Looking Through You

I'm looking through you,

Where did you go?

I thought I knew you,

What did I know?

You don't look different,

But you have changed.

I'm looking through you,

You're not the same.

Your lips are moving,

I cannot hear.

Your voice is soothing,

But the words aren't clear.

You don't sound different,

I've learnt the game.

I'm looking through you,

You're not the same.

Why, tell me why,

Did you not treat me right?

Love has a nasty habbit of dissapearing over night.

You're thinking of me,

The same old way.

You were above me.

But not today.

The only difference,

Is you're down there.

I'm looking through you,

And you're nowhere.

Why, tell me why,

Did you not treat me right?

Love has a nasty habbit of dissapearing over night.

I'm looking through you,

Where did you go?

I thought I knew you,

What did I know?

You don't look different,

But you have changed.

I'm looking through you,

You're not the same.

Yeah, baby you've changed.

I'm looking through you

beatles.gif