Jambands.ca

Web Savvy folk, here's a question...

guigsy

It all depends on who the IP address is registered to. For example, if a range was registered to Rogers Cable, the IP address may be associated with the address of the head office of Rodgers rather than where the specific address was being used. You can sort of break it down using a variety of methods but ultimately it's a little crude. This is all assuming that the person isn't trying to hide their address. If that's the case, you will have an extremely difficult time tracking them down. What are you trying to do?

depends on whether its a static IP or not, a provider could probably tell from their logs which user was using a certain dynamic IP address at a given time as well, if necessary

if you have a tracker hooked up to your website you can see your own visits and if its always the same IP address then its static... if it changes then its dynamic... there's easier ways to check than that but I'm not sure what you're asking

so if someone really wanted to know who visited their site (or computer) I guess it would depend how willing the provider would be to give out that info, which I'm pretty sure they wouldn't for the average joe... if you send a complaint to a provider about a certain IP address, they contact (or claim to contact) the person regarding the abuse or whatever themselves

hmm... so, i guess its just difficult to really know, cuz it could be one or the other with any given address?

its not a big deal, im just more or less curious as i learn more about this stuff... going through my webstats for my own site, i've just been checking to see where some of these people are coming from.. it's just interesting to me to know how far my work is getting...

FYI if you just have the IP number, you can do a "reverse lookup" at this site to try to find out who the address is registered to etc:

http://psacake.com/web/eg.asp

This is mostly only useful for static addresses as mentioned above, but if folks are coming from universities or some businesses and such, sometimes you can get useful info.

Peace,

Mr. M.