Jambands.ca

QotD April 28

Mr. Musicface

quote:

Man what a nice patio day it would be today. Too bad we couldn't all get together this aft for an old fashioned beer sampling.

Hey CH, I'm totally gonna try to head down to Smokeless for that 9:30 tapping if you're really in the mood... I can't get there much earlier 'cus I have some other stuff to take care of, but I'm serious about heading down for this if you're interested. They actually do sampling there too!

- M.

quote:

Originally posted by ollie:

Brad, you mentioned Hart's Dragon Breath... I miss that beer, wish they were still brewing it. Can you still get it in Kingston?

Be careful: there's a difference between Dragon's Breath Pale Ale (brewed by Hart Breweries), and the Dragon's Breath Ale you get at the Kingston Brewing Company. The former (available on draft and in bottles throughout Ontario) is a lighter, hoppy, pale ale, and the latter (only available on draft at the KBC) is more of a dark ale.

One of the things, IIRC, that got Hart Breweries in (financial) trouble was the (re-)negotiations between them and the KBC over the use of the "Dragon's Breath" name. Hart's back, in a small way, but the KBC is still going strong, as far as I know.

Aloha,

Brad

P.S. On rare occasions, you used to be able to get "Hart Extra Special Ale" cask-conditioned at places like the Arrow & Loon pub. In fact, it was Dragon's Breath Pale Ale, cask-conditioned; it was called ESA because the lincensing agreement between Hart and the KBC didn't allow Hart to sell anything called "Dragon's Breath" cask-conditioned.

Kingston brew company is the best! If you are in k-town give it a try (five minute walk from scherzo). I really like their beer as it is not as carbonated as most macrobrewery beer. alltime favourite is the hemp ale.....made once a year in the fall....brewed with apricots....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmhhh.

We used to have Hart on tap at the office. *sniff* I miss it.

Duvel is good. I find it goes down better than Fin du Monde.

I like fruity lambics, too. Hmmm, I think I have a bottle of Bellevue Framboise in the fridge at home ... hmmm ... for that matter, I *know* I have a can of Guinness sitting there ...

I go through phases in which I find beer utterly revolting and end up switching to fruity drinks. The last phase ran for most of a year, if I recall correctly. These system flip-flops can be annoying, but *shrug* I think of it as addiction prevention. (It doesn't only apply to beer.)

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

Hey CH, I'm totally gonna try to head down to Smokeless for that 9:30 tapping if you're really in the mood... I can't get there much earlier 'cus I have some other stuff to take care of, but I'm serious about heading down for this if you're interested. They actually do sampling there too!

- M.

Oh man, sounds great, I can't make it tonight though. Sign me up for a raincheque [Cool]

Well, Id have to say Guinness is by far my drink of choice. Im down with these too:

Newcastle

Big Rock Traditional

Samuel Smith beers

Sierra Nevada (though i have never seen it for sale in Canada...outside of Fog 'n Suds in Burnaby, BC)

Old English 800 Malt 40 oz!! yup, its gross and gives you the craziest hangovers known to man, but damnit try drinking 3 or 4 of those and NOT having the time or yer life....another level friends.

There is also a place here in Calgary called the Wildwood that brews their own beers. So far im VERY partial to their "Elusive Trout Stout" ....The Bitter is very nice too.

Ollie: I'm not sure about Hart Dragon's Breath. I remember seeing Hart at the Beer Fest here in Ottawa last summer, and IIRC, they had the amber and that was about it. I don't frequent beer stores (there isn't one near me [Mad] ), so haven't checked up on Hart for a while.

Aloha,

Brad

I'd say my fav. is Moosehead. I also enjoy Henikin. In fact pretty much any beer in a green bottle makes me happy. It's a strange thing I know, beer always just seems to taste better out of a green bottle. Some strange mental thing I have.

When there is not a green bottle to be found, I like Keiths or Labatt 50 (that's right, 50!!).

My fav. darft beer is generally impossible to find, but called Amber Dry, made by Brick. The used to have it on tap in Hess Village back in the day.

Wow, I'm impressed, you skanks have goood taste!

Brad, if they ever re-open Growlers I'll have to introduce you to their wheat - it's German rather than Belgian style, but it's got a bit of that spicey taste like a Höe or a Blanche. And speaking of Unibroue (who brew Blanche), they also make perhaps my favorite "strong" beer, La fin du monde. Esau, if you think Duvel's a smooth strong, you should try this sucker out.

Oh and Ms. Hux, I was actually looking for a case of Niagra Pale for you when you guys were in town at one of our local stores that has a good selection, unfortunately they had bunch of the Niagra beers but not that one! [Frown] I'll keep an eye out thou.

- M.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

Wow, I'm impressed, you skanks have goood taste!

Brad, if they ever re-open Growlers I'll have to introduce you to their wheat - it's German rather than Belgian style, but it's got a bit of that spicey taste like a Höe or a Blanche. And speaking of Unibroue (who brew Blanche), they also make perhaps my favorite "strong" beer,
. Esau, if you think Duvel's a smooth strong, you should try this sucker out.

Yeah, FdM is great stuff; I think I like it better than Maudite.

When I was in Montreal for Bela Fleck, I happened to stop by a SAQ to get some beer, and saw two new ones from Unibroue:

Both are on lees, and come in 750mL bottles. Think about it: this is beer that's approaching the alcoholic strength of wine (which usually comes in at around 11% - 13% alc/vol).

If I had been coming right back to Ottawa, I would have got some (probably just La Fringante), but I was going to Toronto and then back to Ottawa, so didn't want the extra bulk/weight. (Besides, I've got big bottles of Eau Benite and Trois Pistoles sitting in the fridge, waiting for an opportunity to be broken out. [big Grin] )

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by CyberHippie:

Oh man, sounds great, I can't make it tonight though. Sign me up for a raincheque
[Cool]

S'okay dude, I didn't end up going myself. My parents just got back from a month in Trinidad (nice!) so my wife and I hung out with them for the evening eating roti and drinking the last of the rum punch they brought back! [big Grin]

Raincheque for sure.

- M.

Archived