Jambands.ca

5 Simple Rules For Covering a Song

MarcO

Hah, well Uncle Seth has definitely broken #1 & #5 on numerous occations, we've done some pretty radical things with Tori Amos & Louis Armstrong songs so that takes care of number #2, and we once did a Britney Spear's cover which covers #4 (althought to be fair we only did it once.) We just gotta finish learning "Swamp" and that'll be all the bases covered!!! [big Grin][Razz][Wink]

I'm with you Jaimoe, this guy is a dork.

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

Rule #1: Don't cover "All Along The Watchtower." I feel so strongly about this that I made it Rule #1. Look, I have been in bands before. I know how easy it is to play "Watchtower."

Mr. Sanislo, take note. Tooly, what was the last thing i said last night before the boys ended... "I dont care what they play, as long as its not watchtower...lol"

I actually agree with the " Watchtower " comment. However, I don't agree with his Talking Heads " advice ". If anything, the Heads should be covered a lot more. They have written better songs than the majority of jam-bands performing today. Bring on " Psycho Killer "!!!

Why cover a song note for note? If thats what I wanted I would go see the orginal writer/performer.I say make it your own interpetation.I'm a huge Dylan fan, I know I love when HF does the BDP, not in any way the same as Bob does his music, and I think it seriously kicks ass to hear a new version of my favourites,not that I like all though.Why do so many people cover Bob? I think that says why.

I don't really think I agree with this guy, I notice all critisim about Phish,WSP or SCI finishes with it all being played well.....

What ever happened to people goin to enjoy themselves?? I seem to only hear people complain about what a band played or covered or didn't play...ie Phish in Vegas.(saturday night?) [Confused]

I'll be honest, I totally agree that "Watchtower" is overdone, but it is great song to pull out in a jam 'cus you just know everyone's gonna know it. But generally, rule #1 is about the only one I'd agree with. The idea of ignoring the rich catalogs of the Dead and Heads because, what, they're overdone, is goofy. If we're avoiding overdone, shouldn't we say no more Dylan or Neil Young or Beatles either? #2 is just totally ridiculous - some of the greatest covers ever have been the ones that take the songs in new directions. Joe Cocker made a career of this, and a damn fine one at that. Who would WANT to hear Gov't Mule try to do "When Doves Cry" the way Prince does it - what the hell would be the point of that? And what exactly IS rule #4 anyway? It seems to be "have a point to doing a cover, unless that point is doing it as a joke, unless you do it more than once" or maybe it's just "don't do lame covers" which would go without saying if we could all agree what constitutes lame, which seems to be what this guy doesn't like. Hell, I happen to like "Low" by Cracker and I'd love to hear a cover of it! I'd love to hear a cover of some Loverboy or Honeymoon Suite songs too, goddamn it! [Razz]

- M.

I think cover songs should be given a personal touch by whoever plays them. My band played an old chili peppers song and i added a keyboard part, which completely transformed it and made it sound pretty cool. We played a different arangement of flight of the cosmic hippo, also with success. whats the point of playing a cover exactly the same way as the original?

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

I agree about Talking Heads; I really like SCI's version of "This Must Be The Place". One of the songs my (yet-to-be-formed) band is going to cover is "(Nothing but) Flowers".

If this paradise, I wish I had a lawn mower.

Aloha,

Brad

what about WSP's cover of city of dreams???

i actually like their versions better...a little more soul and tenderness.

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

I agree about Talking Heads; I really like SCI's version of "This Must Be The Place". One of the songs my (yet-to-be-formed) band is going to cover is "(Nothing but) Flowers".

If this paradise, I wish I had a lawn mower.

Aloha,

Brad

Ummmmm, Brad, are you looking for a vocalist? [Wink]

Rob Not Bob

desparate

i think this guy did a good job at writing a lot.

to be honest, he wrote a pretty decent article, but the talking heads rule is a big crock of crap. how many people listen to the talking heads all the time or enough to make their covers redundant??

not as many as listen to any other moderayely covered band.

he could've written 'play covers in good taste and not as a crutch because you'll grow more as an artist and you'll have more appreciative fans in the long run' and gotten the same point across.

i agree though...no more watchtower or simple as hell songs for bands that have songs that have more complex hooks than the entire song.

*ahem* great covers of Jimi Hendrix tunes by people other than B&Z [Wink] :

Little Wing - SRV

Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) - SRV

Little Wing - Derek & The Dominoes

May This Be Love - Emmylou Harris

Purple Haze - Hugh Marsh (hey, I liked it!)

Third Stone From The Sun - Gov't Mule with Jimmy Herring, Bernie Worrell & Randall Bramblett

Wind Cries Mary - Simon Chase

Roomful Of Mirrors - The Pretenders

And I'm sure there are others ...

All, of course, IMHO ...

Rob Not Bob

Archived