Jambands.ca

US 2004 election thread

bouche

Tomorrow is a pretty big day, and I'm sure there will be alot of news stories and updates to pass around.

Please put anything Vote related in this thread. I'm sure there will be some good links to follow through for updates y'all will be able to share here.

Anyway, I found this OBL update to be a little disturbing. He's threatening individual states by stating that "he will be closely monitoring the state-by-state election returns in tomorrow's presidential race — and will spare any state that votes against President Bush from being attacked"

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"MEMRI said radical Islamist commentators monitored over the Internet this past weekend also interpreted the key passage of bin Laden's diatribe to mean that any U.S. state that votes to elect Bush on Tuesday will be considered an "enemy" and any state that votes for Kerry has "chosen to make peace with us."

what?!? ::

I'm glad this particular piece of that tape didn't come out a few days ago. People may vote for Bush just to send a political "fu©k you" to Bin Laden, who doesn't seem to realize that Americans interpreted - quite rightly, too - the 9/11 attack on New York as an attack on the WHOLE country, not New York State.

Well, I've just decided to use tomorrow as a holiday day - I have a few left. So, I'll be at home watching and waiting like the rest of us, praying that Osama's new buddy John Kerry will be elected and Bush and his cronies can fu©k RIGHT OFF into the pages of history.

Tomorrow is a big day for the world and it would be foolish not to observe history in the making. Assuming there is a clear winner tomorrow night, the ramifications of the decision will effect the world for generations to come.

Seriously - God Bless America!

(in some heartening news this electoral college projection site now puts Kerry in the lead........ go John, go!)

It's kind of quirky working/living in the States (Alaska)for the 1st time in the midst of all this Presidential Election hooplah.

Unfortunately there's a Republican majority out here in the AK (OIL) but the strange thing is, I have not socialized nor met any of them?!?

Too bad I can't vote out here!

Also, here in Alaska, legalizing Pot is on the ballot. Pray for us!

Assuming there is a clear winner tomorrow night, the ramifications of the decision will effect the world for generations to come.

that's to be said of every election isn't it?

Well, yes, but my point would be to emphasize this particular election, Rob.

There hasn't been as much hanging in the balance globally-speaking in a US election for a long time.

Think about it: an international terrorist has announced he will be monitoring state-by-state election results and threatening to act accordingly.

Obviously, every US election has global ramifications. In this case, the stakes are higher for everyone.

Bush won't be able to steal another one with the world's eye fixed directly on america tommorrow.

I think most polls are taken from "likely voters." well with the largest election turnout predicted I'd say there will be a large amount of "unlikely" kerry voters coming out. If Bush barely squeaked out the last one how can he win this one with sooo many more people that have been polarized.

POSTED: 9:44 am EST November 1, 2004

WASHINGTON -- A heavy voter turnout along with large numbers of new voters could produce some Election Day surprises for the House of Representatives.

Conventional wisdom holds that the Republican redistricting of Texas and the advantage of incumbency virtually assures the GOP lock on the House.

This year could be different.

All 435 seats are up for grabs. Democrats control 206 of them. About 36 races are considered competitive. A net gain of 12 seats would give the Democrats the edge.

Statistically they could do it if presidential challenger John Kerry produces a tide of new voters, including those angry over the 2000 presidential race.

It would not be unprecedented. Republicans picked up 54 House seats in 1994 to take control of the House for the first time in four decades.

Senate Control Not Matter Of Simple Math

Only in the world of politics could a 50-50 tie equate to an advantage for one side over another.

There are 100 seats in the Senate and control would seem to go to the party with at least 51 of them. However, Republicans would retain control after Election Day if they have 50 seats and George W. Bush in the White House.

According to Senate rules, the vice president would be called in to break any ties.

However, a 50-50 split under a Kerry presidency won't immediately translate into a Democrat-led Senate.

If Kerry wins, Dick Cheney would still preside until January 20. And, as president, Kerry would have to resign his seat, giving Republicans a 50 to 49 edge.

Republicans would have that advantage until the spring or summer. That's when Massachusetts voters would elect a replacement for Kerry under a law approved by the Democrat-dominated state legislature.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/politics/3878595/detail.html

I want to throw something out there... I would honestly say, and those who know me well would support this, that I am completely and utterly liberal and anti conservative and I have literally tried to do my part in swaying votes to the left for the last year... however, lately, I have been really pondering this election and one issue just churns my stomach to the point that to be completely honest-- if I had to vote, I might vote republican....

I think you can figure out what that issue is-- read below.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

i love the cartoons!!!! hahaha!

i know it's a very serious and touchy subject...stem cell research...but if you're gonna make an omlette you've gotta break some eggs. i know you can opt out of the omlette for breakfast, but granola or toast just doesn't fill out a proper breakfast...

are there any other issues to stemcell research other than abortion??

that would be a petty reason to not out the most evil ruler of the 'free' world yet. more would die under a warmongering american president than in abortion clinics...war is more societally acceptable than abortion. people will talk freely about war while abortion chats make people uncomfortable. war's the government's choice while the decision to keep a child is a personal one...I'd say that a vote for society is a lot more solid than a vote for morality - you can do more for your views with conversation and empathy cause a vote for the republicans could take away a lot of personal freedoms that don't have to do with the life of an unborn child and could spark interntional conflict...vote how you will though. i'm sure you've spent hours upon hours weighing out your perspectives.

emotional response is all bush has going for him.

he sure as hell doesn't have many ideas or insight on how to be a great world figure and he's counting on your vote.

don't let the devil tempt you...if you're going to sway rightwards, just make sure he's got you under your own free will.

all weekend I've been thinking that tomorrow the rest of the world will know if the U.S.A. is as arrogant, dishonest and overcome with power/money lust as Bush's media presence promises

or if America cares enough about the rest of the planet to at least attempt to repair some of the almost incomprehensible global damage thats gone down in the last four years

imagine there were lots of people back in 1938 feeling the same way when they waited to see if Hitler would get voted back in for another term

that would be a petty reason to not out the most evil ruler of the 'free' world yet. more would die under a warmongering american president than in abortion clinics...war is more societally acceptable than abortion. people will talk freely about war while abortion chats make people uncomfortable. war's the government's choice while the decision to keep a child is a personal one...

I completely agree...

oh! well, quien i was back on here to apologise for using the term petty...i thought that i could've been misunderstood and didn't want to make you think that i was attacking your personal values...but i'm glad you didn't take it that way.

cloning...i'm sure the research is already underway.

people come up to me fairly frequently and tell me they've met me or know my brother (i have no brother) or somehtng like that...i think that cloning is another touchy subject...but if i could drink my face off every day then when i'm 40 get a farm fresh liver for a replacement i'd love that option.

as long as it's not used for evil or changes sociey for the worse i'm chill with it. i know i was made the old fashioned way and i'm glad...but then again - look at theintroduction of the microwave oven...how many of you cook every meal you eat on a stove or in an oven?

some day people will be thankful they'll be able to select their child's attributes, but on the same hand people will be sad when they can't afford to have a kid that doens't get cancer from eating hotdogs...

its a really fragile subject... on the one hand, you can replace a needed organ, or like you say, choose your child's attributes.. but, I guess I look at it differently perhaps... I love history... and one of the most interesting things to study in history is science... what makes it so interesting you might ask?? well, I would say that it always changes... I have zero faith in science, and I use the term faith, because science is theoretical... I have a problem with humans acting as creators... I believe in the miracle of birth, and I believe that we are made up of more than just our physical vessels... I wonder, can science create a soul? Think about that for a minute... I realize science has produced alot that has advanced humanity, that will prolong our lives, but I don't think we really know enough about what makes up a human being in order to create one. I guess you can say I am more afraid of extinction than war.