Jambands.ca

Taping Info

c-towns

quote:

Originally posted by colinw:

Tungsten - are you suggesting not to se the coresound bass rolloff, and to edit the recording on the computer? I usually use the bass rolloff and the resulting recording sounds pretty good. Should I be doing it some other way?

Other way around- Get the sound right on the way in, by taking that bass level down before it hits the A/D convertors and increasing the gain of the MD input you will have a better balanced signal and better signal-to-noise ratio.

If the Bass makes up most of the audio information, and you record it then take it out via software you will notice the volume drop dramatically. You then have to use normalization/volume increase in the computer to make up for this...this brings up the noise floor along with music...

I bet if you crack open that coresound bass roll off it's a simple RLC high pass filter...maybe it's active and has an op-amp to buffer it but it's really unnecessary. These can be made with a resistor, a capacitor and an inductor. Well and a bit of math... The electret capsules have no associated preamps and aren't balanced so it's very simple to do.

Here's a page detailing how to build your own binaural mic setup, with a circuit and parts listing for a battery module with bass rolloff. Presumably it'd be pretty easy to just build the module, using the values given or adjusted to your own tastes.

Aloha,

Brad

I got the rolloff box with my Coresound mics. I believe the URL is www.core-sound.com. I think it was something like 400 bucks for the box and the mics. I have only really tapes a few shows and they have come out well except where I screwed them up myself!

So, the way I recording now is correct as far as I can tell. Using the bass rolloff and not editing anything on the PC unless I need to fix something.

Colin

quote:

Originally posted by Tooly:

How much do DAT decks start around?

im imagining quite a bit more then an MD recorder

Here is an eBay search for Sony TCD-D8 DAT recorders. As I type, one of them is at US$350, and another at US$195.

I got mine for US$285, with the AC adaptor, a couple of tapes (and head cleaners), and a 7-pin <-> SPDIF (play-only) cable, and it was a great deal. Generally, D8s go for several hundred US$.

Aloha,

Brad

Tungsten - would that '40-60 Hz rumble' include the occasional annoying wind noise? Could HPF's potentially be used to combat less-than-perfect outdoor taping conditions??! I know that using omni's rather than directional mics would help...i suppose I could always do some experimenting and try 'taping the wind' hehe...

quote:

Originally posted by Tungsten Gruvsten:

if you use a bass roll off filter(ala jason's post) and roll it off before it hits the MD though you will get higher levels at the MD deck rather than wacking all the bass out with Sforge and having to normalize the now-weak source. But yeah it's pretty damn easy with Sforge...or cooledit or whatever..

alternatively if you're handy with a soldering iron you could build a small active or passive high pass filter(same thing as 'bass roll off') for 5-10 bucks in parts...maybe 15-20 in Radio Shack parts but still cheap.

actually you could build a fixed high pass that cuts off everything below 40-60Hz, there's not much musical info down there anyways, usually just rumble.

quote:

Originally posted by headygouda:

Tungsten - would that '40-60 Hz rumble' include the occasional annoying wind noise? Could HPF's potentially be used to combat less-than-perfect outdoor taping conditions??! I know that using omni's rather than directional mics would help...i suppose I could always do some experimenting and try 'taping the wind' hehe...

Absolutely-but this will only help a little as wind noise is actually pressure on the capsule. Do you have foam windscreens for your mic? That's exactly what they are for, although they are only effective in so much wind.

using omni's/cardioid really doesn't matter in this case as it's the wind actually blowing on the mic capsule.

Check out what they have for football games/golf for outdoor noise-affectionately termed 'Zeppelins' as they look like a big hairy one, they are shockmounts with the mic encased in foam, 2 different metal grills(fine and finer mesh) as well as a permeable hairy fabric on the outside....

Alot of sub 60Hz info indoors is subways, air conditioner/machinery noise(coupled to the building) mic stand movement, feet on floor...it's mostly physical vibration coupled to the mic to induce sound. Shock mounts help alot with this stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

What would you tapers out there recommend for a recording mic to hook up to my mini disc to cut out the loud bass. Unless you can rent those battery boxes from a Long & Mcquade. A picture and an approx. rental price of what your talking about would help out large.

Thanks in Advance.

peaceinjam.jamesd.

Now that I see some tapers on the board.....

quote:

What would you tapers out there recommend for a recording mic to hook up to my mini disc to cut out the loud bass. Unless you can rent those battery boxes from a Long & Mcquade. A picture and an approx. rental price of what your talking about would help out large.

Thanks again guys

jamesd

I'd recommend a mic with a -10dB pad and a lowcut filter(usually at 150Hz) You can get many small/large diaphragm condensors from tons of manufacturers these days for real cheap-rode/adk/studio projects/marshall are a few.

You will need phantom power for these.

Alternatively, a small mixer or some box with a low cut filter built in would work. Those small electret capsule mics are finicky but can sound good.

As for preamps, I recommend the Sound Devices or Shure ones...portable and rock solid....maybe a little pricey for your tastes but they are pro gear. And actually they are damn cheap compared to the Apogee/Grace units...Someone on the ctree list had a Sound Devices one for sale last week...

http://www.oade.com/microphones/snd_dev_MP2.html

http://www.oade.com/microphones/Shure_FP24.html

Actually just check out the whole oade site-these guys are old deadheads that made their taping into a business...

Archived