Jambands.ca

moe.'s Meat

TheGoodRev

Some of you know that I host a radio show on McMaster Campus radio. Inside the station, they have an enormous music library comprised of over 8000 vinyl titles and over 25000 CD titles. Mammoth. I was looking for moe. titles to choose something to spin on Friday (was going to spin an old show but didn't have anything of good enough quality), and the library has copies of assorted moe. records, No Doy, Dither etc. Then I come across this disc that is just called Meat, with one track, Meat, 46 minutes. Now I'm familiar with Meat from moe.'s live show, I don't own Loaf but I understand there's a version of Meat on that record. I found this Meat disc in the moe. discography, and it's intriguing to me. Unfortunately everything in the music library has to stay in the station and they're pretty serious about that, so the only way I'll get to hear it is if I go in there and spin it in the library for 45 minutes. I would spin it on my show but I don't think an intense jam like that can be considered 'roots rock'. Has anybody heard that 45 minutes version? Anything special, or a self-indulgent alt-prog epic gone bad? I'm interested in peoples' opinions.

That "Meat disc" was actually for promotional use paid for, back in the day, by Sony (when moe. was actually on a label)Sony wanted the band to make a 45 min Cd that could be sent out to Radio stations, magazines and other promo related places, they wanted like 12 songs on it or something. Moe said fu©k you took all the cash and made a 45 min Meat out of it. Sony was pissed to say the least and not soon after that moe left the Label and formed Fat Boy Records.

got a radio edit of she sends me with meat as the filler so to speak.

the libraries of CHUO and CFBU had a tonne of 'em

There are actually two different versions of the disc. The first one was the promotional disc released in 1996 by sony which only had the 46 minute Meat on it.

Then there was the second version which was released around 1998 which had the same version of Meat but with the She Sends Me that was mentioned by someone else.

Personally if you've never heard it I think it would be worth it to listen to a couple of times but it's not as rocking as some live versions out there. This Meat lags around the 20-30 minute mark but then picks up steam after that point.

I did hear that whole 46 minute version once on the radio here in Toronto. It was either on 88.1 (CKLN) or 89.5 (CIUT) on one of their morning programs a few years back.

Later

To clear something up FatBoy records was created before the Sony 550 deal. It was just not very big back in the day. Loaf, fatboy and headseed are on it. Meat has Chris Mauzer(Worst moe drummer ever) on drums with no Lauchlin or Amico so I find it to be a little square.

I got my copy at the No Doy relaese party in Buffalo in 96, It is hard to find and when I had Al and the rest of the guys sign it for me a few years back in red Sharpie he asked if it was going up on e-bay but I dont know where to start bids at (any ideas)so Ill add it to rest of my crap.

Meat used to be the dark star of moe. songs. they never played it and when they did people went crazy. I like the newer version because Jim is sick on the xylophone but i think it is over played now.