Jambands.ca

i need some new music!

jon.

Guest Low Roller

I just bought the new Thirteen Senses CD called The Invitation. They are a british band in the mold of Coldplay meets Travis meets Elbow. If brit-pop is your thing, then I would highly recommend them because I just can't seem to stop listening to this CD.

One of my favourite bands, that unfortunately has disbanded, is "All That" from New Orleans. Incredible, funky stuff. They are now in a band called "Cronk", who I have never heard.

What do you normally listen to? Are you a jamband fan; reggae; jazz; straight-ahead rock; world music; folk... Given some guidance, I am sure I can name a bunch of musicians you have not likely heard of.

FUNK! Slow Nerve Action from Whistler. They have a website at www.slownerveaction.com, but I don't know if you can get their discs from the site. The last time I checked it was a lame website, but the band is INCREDIBLE! Some of the best funk I've heard in a long time, and extra-amusing because every song is about kinky sex.

I also reiterate my earlier suggestion of All That / Cronk.

I assume you already are familiar with Garaj Mahal? (Awesome jammy funk.)

Another band that is not really funk, but more crazy world music that everyone should check out is Boozoo Bajou.

Oh also! If old school funk/soul is your thing, you MUST get yourself a copy of a Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings record. I have spun her on my radio show once or twice, she's unbelievable. A total James Brown/Stax Records funky soul throwback. Here's a link:

http://www.billions.com/artists/sharonj/

The record I have is called "Dap-Dippin' with Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings".

The Golden Dogs - Chesthoofingly good

yes!

allow me to add the new rheostatics, 2067.

another band to check out, if you like to rock: Built To Spill. just about anything from them... i have Keep It Like A Secret, There's Nothing Wrong With Love, The Normal Years, and Live. they all kick major ass.

Bobby Conn

He's a bit David Bowie, a bit Ween... some glam and disco are thrown in as well. He rules. His lyrics subtly critisize the political state of the USA, Clear Channel and especially the religious right among other crazy topics.

Some lyrics: "... you're never gonna get ahead giving head to the man" (that's the chorus) or "I didn't need to get elected, when I was born I was selected. To lead you to our destiny."

The dude is definately a bit wacko.

his latest CD is called 'The Homeland' - you can hear some tracks at http://www.bobbyconn.com/

...make sure you watch the video - it's fu©ked!

Tomfoolery above mentioned the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. I love them, but through them i caught on to Nora Jones. She did a song with them called "Ruler of my Heart". I heard it and loved it. I came upon a DVD of hers where she mentions her guitarist Kevin Briet. My ears perked up.

Velvet encouraged us to see Kevin Breit play with Sisters Euclid in Toronto and my jaw dropped. I sure haven't forgotten it.

Basically what I'm saying is check out ANYTHING with Kevin Briet. I think I love him. I certainly love the way he plays.

*A sisters Euclid show is for download on the homepage, but I'm sure there's tons more out there.