Jambands.ca

BB King Jazz Fest - Molson Amp Aug. 19

Basher

that is true. he is a money draw. But you could spend the money on another draw.

He has been back some 6 times in a row. Everyone (errr, almost everyone) who has wanted to see BB, most likely, has seen him. My father In Law, who really isn't exactly a music fan, went and saw him last year, for nastalgic (sp) purposes, and said he was boring. But ... damn, who opened, fuggggg i'm a pothead .... anyways, whoever opened blew BB out of the water. I didn't go last year, but the year before I did.

I'm NOT PUTTING THE TALENTS OF BB KING DOWN (that would be just silly), i'm just saying maybe it would be time to get a new headlining artist(s) in there.

Second Tube~ BB has been there from the get go, basically started as his tour.They did a whole bunch through the states and Canada.

First one I seen was with BB,Dr.John,Little Feat,Pine Top Perkins & a bunch more great blues artists.

This was before the ampitheater was there and there was a stage that spun in a slow circle, was really cool.May have been the first Blues fest also, was started with BB and should continue, he puts on a great show IMO~

chewie have you seen him?

i have, three times.

He really shouldn't be headlining the festival for the umpteenth time straight.

I'm more intersted in Galactic than anyone else. Imgaine the promotors took that money spent on BB, and put it towards one, or a few, different, better acts.

If you HAVEN"T seen BB, i can understand why you would enquire what i meant.

Things could be much better for that bluefest. ACtually earlier in the year, i heard that fest was still ago, but without BB, and it was the best news.....

Oh well, at least Galactic is new...

Guest Low Roller

BB King is a surefire draw. Who's going to come out to see unknown bands like Galactic? From a business point of view, BB King is money well spent by the jazz/blues festival organizers.

B.B. is a treasure and the greatest living bluesman. Name another that comes close? There's only a handful of living " pure " bluesmen that can even be considered in the same sentence as B.B. - but really are not comparable in popularity, talent and influence: Robert Jr. Lockwood, R.L. Burnside, Clarence " Gatemouth " Brown, Son Seals, Bobby " Blue " Bland , James Cotton, Pinetop Perkins. Even Otis Rush and Buddy Guy together can't compare to B.B.. Drop B.B. from his own festival? Yeah, that makes no sense. Anyway, jazz and blues festivals have always had interesting line-ups: see Newport, du Maurier, Montreal, Montreaux, Ottawa etc... I love B.B.'s bill so far. Galactic, Beck and B.B.. I can't wait.

I hope B.B. plays for as long as he can. That's all bluesmen know- playing and performing. I wish I'd seen all of these recently departed and constantly touring bluesmen perform: John Lee Hooker, Albert Collins, Albert King, Luther Allison and Paul Butterfield.

I'm excited about the notion of Jeff Beck potentially jamming blues with B.B. and Galactic. I don't care either way. Jeff Beck and B.B. are heroes of mine and I like Galactic a lot too. This B.B. festival sounds great. If it was scheduled on the same night, I'd even trade my Toronto 200 Level Allmans ticket for a B.B. festival ticket in a second, and my name's Jaimoe.

oh, Buddy Guy compares!! He might even be losing his chops a wee bit BUT i've seen Buddy several time as with BB King, in fact i saw Buddy open for BB, and buddy smoked him, without a 10 piece band.

That said, BB is a total treasure and definately holds the position as the most influencial bluesman living today...his voice still kicks ass and his playing - when he actually plays - is fantastic.

I think that this will be a great show. If lyou haven't seen the king...check it out .

He is a living legend after all.

I'm not comparing Buddy with B.B. as show-men and players. It's all about legend and influence. I love Buddy and I even met him last year. As for Buddy losing his chops, just crank up 2001's " Sweet Tea " CD. That album is one of the best blues studio releases in the last 15 years and perhaps Buddy's best ever. Buddy agreed with me too!

Archived