Jambands.ca

U2 on SNL 11/20/04

TimmyB

I like U2. I have gone through periods earlier in life of loving them. I even liked the last album quite a bit.But with this album they have taken a step, maybe their final, in the wrong direction.

Now granted, I'm a fan of experimental U2. I think Achtung created one of the few unimtatable sounds of the 90's. I think 80's U2 was one of the best gigs around.

This album further tries to return to and recapture the old sound magic with the further watered down sound of the 00's band. Lyrics, predictable. Riffs, formulaic. Overall, after three listens, I got no love.

They have not dismantled but built an atomic bomb.

I think I need more coffee.

WOW! Those boys from Ireland don't disappoint when it comes to performing on Saturday Night Live.

It's not often that an artist on SNL gets three songs, Paul McCartney and Eric Clapton come to mind. And if a band deserves three songs it's U2.

I loved seeing the new songs "Vertigo" and "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" performed live. Also closing out the show with the classic "I Will Follow" wasn't too bad either. Didn't that girl looked shocked when Bono jumped in her lap and grinded up against her?

Also I thought it was cool that they teased Tom Rush's "No Regrets" at the end of "Sometimes." And I wonder what song they performed after the cameras went off?

I'll say this I can't wait to see U2 again in 2005!

I love all U2.....................

So, we were sitting aroud Myrnas, and thought "Let check out SNL". In all honesty, I cant remember the last time I saw a live one, but as soon as we heard U2 were on, that was that.

They SMOKED it!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own"

What a great song. I am buying this new album, guaranteed.

TimmyB, I'll go see them with you. I have always wanted to, knowing they put on a kick-ass show and loving their music, yo.

One of the few great bands from the 80's. Can you name any more? I'm sure there are some but I can't think of any.

Steve

Do you mean " still together "?

Here's a few off the top of my head, and two are back together:

The Replacements

The Pixies

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble

The Pogues

The Jam

Van Halen with David Lee ( even though they had a few albums out in the late 70's, they were one of the biggest bands of the 80's ).

One of the few great bands from the 80's. Can you name any more? I'm sure there are some but I can't think of any.

Steve

Do you mean " still together "?

Here's a few off the top of my head, and two are back together:

The Replacements

The Pixies

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble

The Pogues

The Jam

Van Halen with David Lee ( even though they had a few albums out in the late 70's, they were one of the biggest bands of the 80's ).

Here's a few more, all of whom are still active:

Beastie Boys (Who I recently just saw for the first time at the Air Canada Centre and they were absolutely great)

Blue Rodeo (Who just celebrated their 20th anniversary with a DVD and a couple of reunion shows. I attended the first one and it was amazing to see the band rock out Outskrits nearly in it's entirety)

The Flaming Lips (Who I can't wait to see this New Years Eve with Wilco at MSG)

Bruce Hornsby (Who's new album is quite good)

The Jayhawks (Who are about to celebrate their 20th anniversary in 2005 and their are talks of reuniting with Marc Olson)

Phish (How could anyone on this board forget about Phish?)

Red Hot Chilli Peppers (Their new Live album is avaliable as an Import at HMV and Sam's in Toronto)

R.E.M. (Who's recent show at the Hummingbird Centre was great. The new material came across much better live)

The Tragically Hip (who I don't listen to much anymore, but how can you as a Canadian forget this band? Playing the Hammer to bring in another New Year)

Widespread Panic (read above brackets for Phish and replace with WSP. Also Panic are about to celebrate their 20th anniversary in 2005.)

PS Hey Jaimoe, Van Halen doesn't count. They came out of the seventies and nothing changes that. Then you might as well say that Dire Straits and/or the Police started in the seventies too, which wouldn't be true.

PS Hey Jaimoe, Van Halen doesn't count. They came out of the seventies and nothing changes that. Then you might as well say that Dire Straits and/or the Police started in the seventies too, which wouldn't be true.

Yeah, but Van Halen was the biggest metal band of the 80's and are seen to a large extent as an 80's band. I agree with your correction however.

I love all U2.....................

So, we were sitting aroud Myrnas, and thought "Let check out SNL". In all honesty, I cant remember the last time I saw a live one, but as soon as we heard U2 were on, that was that.

They SMOKED it!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own"

What a great song. I am buying this new album, guaranteed.

TimmyB, I'll go see them with you. I have always wanted to, knowing they put on a kick-ass show and loving their music, yo.

Hey Booche, Hopefully U2 will be performing at the Skydome again so we all can attend the show. I'm not a big fan of the venue, but when a band of U2's stature sells out two shows at the Air Canada Centre in less than an hour I think they should perform a venue that nearly all of their fans in the area can see them at.

I was told the fourth song U2 performed on SNL as the show ended was the new song "All Because of You."

apparently they're playing for 30 min on the Brooklyn Bridge today.

I don't care what anyone says; U2 are fu©king cool. I got mad respect for working musicians who stick together through thick and thin and they have a tremendous body of work. Truly a "classic" rock band, in the best sense of the term.

They just don't make 'em like U2 anymore.

(and seeing the ZooTV tour in Celtic Park in Glasgow was surely one of the coolest experiences I ever had!)

I'm up for any kind of man-love, boys.

MarcO, here's some Rome for ya:

I'm somewhat reluctant to even bring this up. I know how this is going to go before I even do the story. The second I get this out of my mouth, you are all going to start sending me emails. And all of the emails will fall into one of two categories. The first will be from fat people. Anyone who has ever been mentioned on this show that is overweight will send me an email. The second will be from skinny people, and people with eating disorders, like Karen Carpenter, Tracey Gold…etc.

That being said, I need to do this. I need to talk about the ‘Monster Thickburger’ at fast food chain Hardees. Recently they introduced a new burger and it is basically a heart attack in a bun. The burger has two, 5-ounce patties. It has four strips of bacon. It has three slices of cheese. A “whopping” dollop of mayonnaise, and a buttered sesame bun.

Let met start with the bun. A buttered bun? Like the meat, cheese, bacon and mayo aren’t making it greasy enough, so you need to extra butter on the bun? I guess so. Then again, if you are going to take all that in anyway, how much extra damage can a little butter do? The burger checks in at a whopping 1,420 calories. And just for a reference point, you are supposed to eat about 2,000 calories a day. So this thing puts you at almost 75% of your daily calories. And if you are the sort of guy who is going to dive into one of these, I don’t think it is going to be your only meal of the day. It also has 107 grams of fat. Maybe it’s just me, but I'm really not down with something that has fat grams in the triple digits. Maybe you are thinking to yourself, I'll just jump on the treadmill after this, and I'll be fine. According to one report, you would have to walk briskly for 22 miles to burn all the calories in just one monstrosity burger.

I can’t quite put my finger on why we have an obesity epidemic in this country. I just can’t quite seem to figure it out. I mean, portion control is clearly not a problem. I know, Phil Mickeslon wants 3 of them. I know, I know, Karen Carpenter thinks it’s disgusting. I get it…..and just for humor’s sake, I would love to know how many people order that thing with a diet coke and a side salad….the least they could do is sell that thing with a complimentary heart bypass surgery.