Jambands.ca

What Kinda Kick Are You On?

guigsy

so, lately, i've been listening to the rolling stones a lot. im almost embarrassed to say, but i had no idea. for about the last 6 weeks or so, i just cant get enough! mainly cycling through exile, sticky fingers, goat's head soup, and beggars banquet... dont know why it took me 24 years to find this stuff, i mean, aside from the classics you can hear on just about any "classic rock" radio station... but nevertheless, better late than never i suppose. its no wonder people went ape sh!t over them back in the day, this stuff is amazing, even today.

i've had Dead Flowers on repeat and in my head almost constantly, i mean, such a well crafted song, performed well on the album... i dunno, it hits me where great music should hit me. and Sway (also from sticky fingers) might be the dirtiest rock song i've ever heard... i fu©kin love it!

im on a hiphop kick.. i think its more of a relapse.

my motivation is having seen mos def, talib and the beasties this month.

ive also been listening to 'stakes is high' a lot from de la soul.. mmm..

guigsy, i had the same revelation/realization last year in lindsay. my friend chris had an extensive record collection, and i heard a lot of stones and stevie wonder. good stuff. one day i'll get my own copies. :)

my real kick lately has been the job hunt. im determined to end the slavery of my ancestor's descendents.

haha, chewie... not embarrassed to say i love the stones, almost embarrassed to say it took me 24 fu©kin years! what the hell?? haha. this is the sh!t my parents shoulda given to me on my 1st birthday. :)

oh, and i guess my inspiration, or motivation, or the key that unlocked the door, whatever it may be, to getting into the stones kinda stems from this scene... well, my old roommate had beggars banquet, so i listened to that a lot last year... but then last november Burt Neilson covered lovin' cup in london, and i knew i had heard it before, didnt know where, dug around and realized i knew it from hearing phish cover it... did some more digging, and found it was originally a stones song on exile... so i picked up exile... listened to it a shitload and left it at that... fast forward almost a year to the Slip in Hamilton... they covered Moonlight Mile.. i didnt know the song, but luckily there was a very excited punk beltin it out in front of me and when i asked him what it was he told me it was moonlight mile off of sticky fingers... so i picked up sticky fingers... a couple weeks later after Neroween in guelph, in pete and tash's living room that same punk put on the goat's head soup record and i was sold... recently picked up goat's head and my own copy of beggars banquet.

there's my story... hooray!

ps: dougie, its comforting to know im not the only one... hehe, thanks! ::

p.p.s: meggo, i just stepped out of the office onto the floor for a sec, and guess what was playing??? no, not shattered... i thought it was at first though... turned out to be hang fire. just as sh!tty. hahaha.

p.p.p.s: edit time: 8:48pm - meggo - just stepped outta the office again, and this time they're playing shattered for real!!!! thought you'd like to know... im gonna close the store now and sing along, using your suggestion... chatham! bye...

i just listened to erin mckeown's grand. i brought it home from the library just because i thought she looked like fun on the cover. it's pretty good and doesn't sound whiney or immature like a lot of women musicians. i have also been bringing home every van morrison album that gets returned when i'm working. i brought home too long in exile today but i haven't listened to it yet. so far my favourite van morrison album oscillates between moondance (of course) and how long has this been going on, which is super jazzy, i like it a lot.

I have been on a few kicks recently:

I'm consumed with watching Season One of one of the best comedy series I've ever seen:

B000063W2U.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm geared up for tomorrow's Pixies concert in Toronto and MMJ, Television and Jeff Beck have been getting a lot of car stereo play as of late.

Japanese director " Beat " Takeshi Kitano movies are great to explore and discover on DVD, especially Sonatine ( which just got released combined with his latest, Zatoichi ).

B0002W4TOO.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

i've had Dead Flowers on repeat and in my head almost constantly, i mean, such a well crafted song, performed well on the album... i dunno, it hits me where great music should hit me.

Right on Guigs, my favourite Stones tune! As for me, the closest thing to a kick that I have going at the moment is Peterborough's own, The Spades!

p.p.s: meggo, i just stepped out of the office onto the floor for a sec, and guess what was playing??? no, not shattered... i thought it was at first though... turned out to be hang fire. just as sh!tty. hahaha.

p.p.p.s: edit time: 8:48pm - meggo - just stepped outta the office again, and this time they're playing shattered for real!!!! thought you'd like to know... im gonna close the store now and sing along, using your suggestion... chatham! bye...

how did it go how did it go????? and i did want to know, thank you.

how did it go how did it go????? and i did want to know, thank you.

i guess it went ok.

I'm consumed with watching Season One of one of the best comedy series I've ever seen:

i'll ditto this kick. awesome show. watched the first two seasons know i'm craving the two x-mas specials they made which i can't find anywhere yet.

It's out and should be easy to find. I saw around 50 at the Chapters on Richmond and McCaul. If that place has it, then just keep on looking.