Jambands.ca

Contact or Mr.Something Something....?

livingstoned

agreed...ladybirds are a must see. Alexis you should think about doing Healey's from 10-12 then hi-tail it over to Contact til 2. plus Healey's is small and from what I remember of the summer, the last time Ladybirds(all)played at C'est What doors opened at 10 and people were turned away by 10:30 mind you that was supposed to be the closing of the music room at C'est What and it is much smaller than Healeys but still....something to think about especially since Erin Smith is moving and mr something something haven't played in this city for a while, all things considered it will probably draw a lot of people. ah well whatever you decide it will be hard to rip yourself away from either show to make the other.... wow decisions, decisions...

Yeh, I'd bet Healey's will be sold out or pretty damn close by the Somethings come on. The Ladybirds probably won't play again for a long time (ever?) at least in these parts, and they are awesome. Picked up Erin & Janine's EP (they are half of Ladybird Sideshow FYI) last week at C'est What, it's amazing, particularly for something they did in one day on the porch!

- M.

well i'm kinda meh on the ESB never seen em, although Sari has nothing but good things to say. do they sing the claire fontaine song? that song's kinda cool. uuumm well i was talkin with crow and he told me about DD and Mr. SS playing in Dover on Sat night. Soooo since i have to work Saturday at 9 I think i'll go see contact till 1 and then do er up right Saturday night with 2 bands and the party people i love. But thanks for the suggestion! I know this is the last ESB show for awhile (ever), but this is ALSO the last contact show of the year so....

As much as I like both bands, I'd opt for Mr. Something Something, due to, as Tickler says, their stage presence. Their frontman is a blast to watch: I've seen him leap over the monitors and start flailing around on the dance floor becaue he didn't think enough people were dancing. They also interact with the crowd more, and you honestly don't know what's going to happen (schtick-wise) at a show. The horn section is also a joy to hear, and the drummer can play patterns with his left hand that I can't manage with both hands and my feet.

Aloha,

Brad

Yeh, along with the Somethings I'm putting in one more pitch for Erin Smith is well 'cus this could be the last time you'll ever see her with a band in Toronto. I suspect she'll be back and play here at some point, but perhaps not with a full band, and anyone who has seen her can back me up that she's worth seeing. Erin is one of the great under-rated talents of the Ontario indie scene.

- M.