Jambands.ca

The Grateful Dead are The Best Band Ever!!!!!!

MarcO

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so, not even close. Here's some bands that are greater than the Grateful Dead.

The Beatles (the greatest ever, period. What were you thinking MarcO making this thread?), The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, U2 just to name a few.

I don't think so, not even close. Here's some bands that are greater than the Grateful Dead.

The Beatles (the greatest ever, period. What were you thinking MarcO making this thread?), The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, U2 just to name a few.

U2???!!!! keep up the good work [color:"purple"]FRENCHY

bltonguekiss.jpg

u2???? good bye credability. thats rediculous. what are you basing this on?

Have you actually listened to a U2 album or seen them in concert?

U2 are one of the few bands in the history of music that have had the pressure of the entire planet watching them waiting to see what their next album would be like. And U2 have delivered on a number of occasions.

They are one of the only bands to have stayed vibrant and significant to the world over the coarse of three different decades. And I mean the "world" not some relatively small community of hippies.

And U2 have accomplished this with the original four boys that started out in the early eighties. Name how many groups that lasted as long as U2 dominated the music industry with no line up changes? Nobody, not the Rolling Stones, not Pink Floyd, not the Who, not a one. The only one I can think of is ZZ Top but they aren't in the same league as U2.

That reminds me The Who are greater than the Grateful Dead as well.

I would just like to say, having seen the Stones, they dont rate high enough to scrape the gum off the bottom of my shoes. U2 may have been good, but at least other bands on that list knew when to give up, instead of sellout. U2's latest single, is the biggest piece of crap on the radio today.

Yay, lets copy modern crap chord structure, and make an even crappier song around it. Sure, everyone loves the Joshua Tree, but to compare them to the Grateful Dead, who impressed fans for over 30 years, is just ludicrus!

And to finalize this little rant, what makes a band the best? I feel the Beatles aren't even CLOSE to being the best band ever, so to me, they aren't the best band ever. Even if 10 000 people say they ARE the best band ever, that doesnt' make them the best band ever, because to me, they aren't.

We are talking about something that is very subjective...

and the Who??

ya, they have really had alot of influence on culture, politics.... my just look at all them whoheads???

The Deadhead phenomenon is not a very large culture. It exists almost exclusively in the United States of America. I think the cultural the Grateful Dead are overstated here.

What member of the Grateful Dead have been involved in politics? And how has the music of the Grateful Dead influenced American politics? I'd really like to know.

Yay, lets copy modern crap chord structure, and make an even crappier song around it. Sure, everyone loves the Joshua Tree, but to compare them to the Grateful Dead, who impressed fans for over 30 years, is just ludicrus!

The Edge is a great guitarist that has a very unique style. Not too many guitarists have sounded like him.

The Grateful Dead impress crowds because everybody in the audience are high. You know the joke.

Also have the Grateful Dead impressed people when it comes to their albums? Yes they recorded two great records in 1970, wow that's impressive. They only existed from 1965 to 1995. Two great studio albums in thirty years does not impress.

pressure of the entire planet

ummmm, i'm living on this planet and i don't give a CRAP about U2 or when they'll release their next bit of garbage.

they are pop star sellouts

or in otherwords....they suck ass

and I love the Deads studio work

i'll listen to Built to Last or In the Dark any day before a U2 cd

hell, i can't even stand WAR or Under a Blood Red Sky anymore and those were definately U2's best music.

and as far as being political...i love that the Dead never told me who to believe in or support politically

Bono can kiss my ass

Jerry and the Grateful Dead have influenced me like NO OTHER and that has absolutely nothing to do with drugs!

it's all about Jerry's guitar tone, his sweet voice, Bobby's love of country, 2 wicked drummers, the phil zone and those beautiful, incredible Grateful Dead lyrics

The Edge is a great guitarist that has a very unique style. Not too many guitarists have sounded like him.

The Grateful Dead impress crowds because everybody in the audience are high. You know the joke.

Also have the Grateful Dead impressed people when it comes to their albums? Yes they recorded two great records in 1970, wow that's impressive. They only existed from 1965 to 1995. Two great studio albums in thirty years does not impress.

Alabama Getaway

Alice D Millionaire

Alligator

Althea

At A Siding

Attics Of My Life

Barbed Wire Whipping Party

Believe It Or Not

Bertha

Bird Song

Black Peter

Black Throated Wind

Black Muddy River

Blow Away

Blues For Allah

Born Cross Eyed

Box Of Rain

Brokedown Palace

Brown Eyed Women

Built To Last

Candyman

Casey Jones

Cassidy

Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)

Childhood's End

China Cat Sunflower

China Doll

Chinatown Shuffle

Comes A Time

Corrina

Cosmic Charlie

Crazy Fingers

Cream Puff War

Cryptical Envelopment

Cumberland Blues

Dark Star

Day Job

Days Between

Deal

Dire Wolf

Doin' That Rag

Don't Need Love

Dupree's Diamond Blues

Easy Wind

Easy To Love You

Easy Answers

The Eleven

Equinox

Estimated Prophet

Eternity

Eyes Of The World

Far From Me

The Faster We Go The Rounder We Get

Feel Like A Stranger

Fire On The Mountain

Foolish Heart

France

Franklin's Tower

Friend Of The Devil

From The Heart Of Me

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines

The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion)

Greatest Story Ever Told

He's Gone

Heaven Help The Fool

Hell In A Bucket

Help On The Way

Here Comes Sunshine

High Time

I Will Take You Home

I Need A Miracle

If The Shoe Fits

If I Had The World To Give

It Must Have Been The Roses

Jack Straw

Just A Little Light

King Solomon's Marbles

Lady With A Fan

Lazy Lightnin'

Lazy River Road

Let Me Sing Your Blues Away

Let It Grow

Liberty

Looks Like Rain

Loose Lucy

Loser

Lost Sailor

Mason's Children

Maybe You Know

Mexicali Blues

Might As Well

Milkin' The Turkey

Mission In The Rain

Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo

Mister Charlie

Money, Money

Mountains Of The Moon

The Music Never Stopped

My Brother Esau

Never Trust A Woman

New Potato Caboose

New Speedway Boogie

Operator

The Other One

Passenger

Picasso Moon

Playin' In The Band

Pride Of Cucamonga

Quadlibet For Tender Feet

Ramble On Rose

Reuben And Cerise

Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues

Ripple

Rosemary

Row Jimmy

Sage And Spirit

Saint Of Circumstance

Saint Stephen

Samba In The Rain

Scarlet Begonias

Shakedown Street

Ship Of Fools

Slipknot

So Many Roads

Stagger Lee

Standing On The Moon

Stella Blue

The Stranger (Two Souls In Communion)

Stronger Than Dirt

Sugar Magnolia

Sugaree

Sunshine Daydream

Sunrise

Supplication

Tennessee Jed

Terrapin Flyer

Terrapin Station

Terrapin Transit

That's It For The Other One

They Love Each Other

Throwing Stones

Till The Morning Comes

To Lay Me Down

Tons Of Steel

Touch Of Grey

Truckin'

Two Souls In Communion

U.S.Blues

Unbroken Chain

Uncle John's Band

Victim Or The Crime

Wave To The Wind

Wave That Flag

Way To Go Home

We Can Run

We Leave The Castle

Weather Report Suite Prelude

Weather Report Suite Part 1

Weather Report Suite Part 2 see Let It Grow

West L.A. Fadeaway

Wharf Rat

What's Become Of The Baby

The Wheel

When Push Comes To Shove

wow, where can I get the "two albums with all of these songs on them?"

U2 is minor league in this debate... you need to go back to school. ;)

pressure of the entire planet

ummmm, i'm living on this planet and i don't give a CRAP about U2 or when they'll release their next bit of garbage.

they are pop star sellouts

or in otherwords....they suck ass

and I love the Deads studio work

i'll listen to Built to Last or In the Dark any day before a U2 cd

hell, i can't even stand WAR or Under a Blood Red Sky anymore and those were definately U2's best music.

and as far as being political...i love that the Dead never told me who to believe in or support politically

Bono can kiss my ass

Jerry and the Grateful Dead have influenced me like NO OTHER and that has absolutely nothing to do with drugs!

it's all about Jerry's guitar tone, his sweet voice, Bobby's love of country, 2 wicked drummers, the phil zone and those beautiful, incredible Grateful Dead lyrics

Read between the lines, U2 have constantly had the entire planet of rock music media breathing down their backs as they go to record a new album since the mid eighties. The Grateful Dead have never had that kind of pressure ever.

I have one question countrycowboy, have you been sober at the majority of Grateful Dead or Dead related shows that you have attended?

Also back to the whole political thing. Bono has won awards for his work involving human rights from the NAACP and the UN as well as other organizations. Bono has worked harder than most to save the lives of people that don't have the voice or strength to save themselves.

Maybe the Grateful Dead were a bit too busy playing live shows for their fans... The media is also breathing down the neck of Brittany Spears--just like the "U2 boys"

U2 is a "pop-band"

and as far as political influence, Bono is nothing more than an egotistical ambulance chaser... The only time he has been truly concerned about the well-being of any state, was during the seventies and eighties when they were singing about their brothers and sisters in the North... And just maybe, the Grateful Dead have had a little bit of political influence---aka the U.S. democratic party.

I have one question countrycowboy, have you been sober at the majority of Grateful Dead or Dead related shows that you have attended?

yes. I worked for DSO for a year (147 shows) and NOT being sober and being responsible for the bands sound equipment and instruments is not cool. or my style.

as far as the Dead shows I went to, it varied. the majority of the time i had fun and experimented with a few different intoxicants.

I've been hooked on the Grateful Dead for many years. sober or not, they are my favourite band of all time. always will be.

Maybe the Grateful Dead were a bit too busy playing live shows for their fans... The media is also breathing down the neck of Brittany Spears--just like the "U2 boys"

U2 is a "pop-band"

and as far as political influence, Bono is nothing more than an egotistical ambulance chaser... The only time he has been truly concerned about the well-being of any state, was during the seventies and eighties when they were singing about their brothers and sisters in the North... And just maybe, the Grateful Dead have had a little bit of political influence---aka the U.S. democratic party.

Would Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno produce albums for a pop band? I don't think so. Would Bob Dylan cowrite a song with a pop band? I don't think so.

I think you're confusing pop band with a popular rock band.

Once again to clarify how have the Grateful Dead influenced American politics over the last forty years. Yes I'm sure some in the political spectrum especially the Democratic party are fans of the Grateful Dead, though that doesn't mean they've influenced American politics.

For me, The Grateful Dead are the best band ever, but that's for me. They had beautifully written songs and hands down the most unique of live shows. Sure their last few years got sh!tty but even being at a sh!tty Dead show had it's high points that couldn't compare with most bands in a Large arena or Stadium setting. There was no denying the energy and love brought into a Dead show.

They were absolutely at the frontlines and heart of the sixties, musically and consciously speaking anyway.

If that can be acknoledged, then I would also say there has never been a period of time that even came close to the cultural and musical explosion that happened at that time.

The Dead helped create and carried that torch long after most of the same bands coming out of that period had broken up or done their "farewell tour".

Their lack of commercial success contrasted with the phenominum of fans who followed them should be inspiration to any band who can't write a hit song for the radio.

If you don't like their music or you rate "best" by hit records or revenue then they can easily not be, the best band ever. For the way I look at a bands greatness and my own tase in music, they are undeniably the BEST BAND EVER.

hahahahaha... U2 IS a pop band. popular rock bands are still pop bands, because, well, pop music is essentially popular music. and popularity doesnt seem to know the bounds of what is rock and what is not.

oh, and who gives a fu©k who recorded or co-wrote with them? that logic's stuck in a civ! (psst... what im saying is, it holds no water.)

Once again to clarify how have the Grateful Dead influenced American politics over the last forty years. Yes I'm sure some in the political spectrum especially the Democratic party are fans of the Grateful Dead, though that doesn't mean they've influenced American politics.

I really am having trouble understanding this question or comment,are bands required to influence politics? If so,then how and for what reasons? If they do, is this what has made them the greatest,influencing politics and not their music or talent?

Has U2 influenced American politics,I hope not,what kind of goverment lets a band,let alone a band from another country influence their politics? And if they have then perhaps thats why Bush is in for another four I guess.Add another reason why I don't like that band.

I could make a list of serious great musicians and/or bands that are tenfold better then U2 and ask how they influnced politics in America,seems like a loaded question really.

I've seen the Stones many times,not once did I think it was better then a GD show not even close,perhaps Floyd came close in 86 when I saw em,but they certianly didn't match the GD shows I've seen.

Matter of opinion I guess.Plain & simple.

Would Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno produce albums for a pop band? I don't think so. Would Bob Dylan cowrite a song with a pop band? I don't think so.

Now,this is interesting,Lanois & Eno are hired to do a job and they do it,I doubt they worry too much about what genre the band is in,especially since a pop band wouldn't be looking to hire one of those guys to produce their albums would they?Lets be realistic here.