Jambands.ca

tell us why a band is your favourite thread...

ggrtrhhrtgg

I am just in the process of downloading a show recommended by Guigsy. 07/08/78 Redrocks on ftp---ta guigsy... and I told him about one of my favourite musical moments... 9/16/93--Madison Square..and I am listening to Jerry sing Days Between... and it just made me think of why I love the Dead so much--- apart from my nonsense rants, I am going to get a little personal... what I love the most about living are the things that stir this energy in my chest/stomach...when I feel like I am on spin cycle, and I get goose bumps, and for some reason of have had the great fortune of usually associating those moments with extremely heavy, deep thoughts.. I hope one day, I will take the time to collect those thoughts and express them in a story, essay, or some sort of creative outlet... I can honestly say, when I get that feeling, I have "seen the mountain top!!"(hehe) and I must admit there are alot of conductive--inspiring influences on my life, but from a musical perspective my greatest moments of inspiration come from none other than the Grateful Dead... I would suggest one of my favourite Dead recordings that is listed above and I would listen to the encore---of NFA and beyond, the moment is a synonym of the song, which is a synonym for the band---is it not?? ---I think Jerry, Bobby, Pigpen, Brent, Phil, Bill, Mickey have literally lived these words for their fans---"you know our love will not fade away"

Guest Low Roller

If I had to name one band it would be Radiohead. The melancholy of their music really hits me right in the cockles. But I honestly think I have a particular band I'd rather listen to for every mood I'm in.

Bob Dylan

If an explanation is required then you'll never understand.

Ditto.

We may not agree on Gordon Lightfoot's current state of abilities. But I respect that.

Though we definitely agree on this, Bob Dylan is the most significant artist of the twentieth century and the best.

I don't think that I can narrow it down to one anymore... too much great music for me to do that... but here's a few of my top...

Herbie Hancock - mind-boggingly brilliant

Old Queen (The stuff you don't here on the radio) - much of there stuff is modern day symphonies, not to mention the voice of a god.

Oneness of Ju Ju - an amazing african based band.

Old Stevie Wonder.

Yes - brilliant musicians, everyone one of them.

so the question is tell us why Dark Star Orchestra IS my favourite band.

i'm not really sure anyone cares why, but...

The Grateful Dead and all it's members and extended family did something to me a long time ago.

they helped change my perspective on life, people and this planet. So politically they not only influenced my vote, but my way of living.

Jerry Garcia was a prophet

maybe not to everyone..but to many, myself included!

So how did DSO become my favourite band?

well, they tour and play the Dead the way The Grateful Dead used to. The Dead have evolved (as they should) into something that's not the 1978 Grateful Dead we see on the Winterland dvd

Dark Star Orchestra are the VERY best at recreating that sound.

the sound i want to hear

the experience i want to have at their shows

and they are coming north folks

so anyone who loves the Grateful Dead as much as I do

owes it to themselves to see this band

just my 2 cents

and the answer to your question (i hope)

Bob Dylan - When I first heard Up to me from Blood on the tracks and I was in love.Bob's music moves me in ways nothing else does.

"Up To Me" is an outtake from Blood On The Tracks, actually, so you must have heard it on Biograph which is, I believe, the only time that it has been officially released.

See what an a$$hole I am?

Ween is my favourite band and I'll tell you why.

They've got a song to suit any mood and play a MASSIVE range of different genres (except for suck)

They get better and better with every new cd.

They appreciate their fans and treat them well.

When they play live, they rock out for 3 hours straight with no wimpy set breaks and don't charge an arm and a leg for a ticket.

They don't take themselves too seriously and have no egos.

Plain and simple - they rule. I'll never get sick of them.

They Might Be Giants

tmbgcolorhi2.jpg

I've never in my life heard a band with more intelligent and true lyrics about little of import, plus, their music, generally speaking varies very, very much from any other music out there (ie. I love you, I love you, I love you, or I don't love you at all or the world ain't right) AND they appeal to geeks...

I'm a geek!

Plus Linnell (right)'s voice is probably the most soothing voice I've ever heard, and, finally, I enjoy the accordian. Any band that uses one gets more respect from me.

Honorable mention: Ween, Ben Folds, Tom Waits and Zappa... I'd write posts for all of you, but, the skank'd dislike me. ::

Ween is my favourite band and I'll tell you why.

They've got a song to suit any mood and play a MASSIVE range of different genres (except for suck)

They get better and better with every new cd.

They appreciate their fans and treat them well.

When they play live, they rock out for 3 hours straight with no wimpy set breaks and don't charge an arm and a leg for a ticket.

They don't take themselves too seriously and have no egos.

Plain and simple - they rule. I'll never get sick of them.

Little Miss Pink is a genius. I think this truly puts an end to any debate over who is the best band out there. Ween rules.

i'll tell you why Thrush Hermit is my favourite band RIGHT NOW. and i mean, at this second while i listen to them. because clayton park is one of the most fu©kin rockinest and rollinest records that was ever made, and i think anyone who likes the rock and roll should have it in their collection. no doubt this was influenced by dylan, the beatles and the dead, so there you have it, they're all the greatest bands/musicians ever because somehow their jizz mixed with some other jizz and hit some cosmic rock egg and out popped clayton park, here to slay all. it rocks. and its really helping me out right now. also, it was 5 years ago this december that thrush hermit hung it up for good, as a band. plaskett's still doin his thing, and i think another guy ended up with the dears... i wanna say ian mcgettigan... and they're both great, but fu©k man, thrush hermit fu©king had it. and they were finally starting to turn some heads, the timing couldnt have been worse.... oh well, all good things... i got to see their last show in london, and fu©k, i dont know if i've seen a better rock show.

anyone who's read this board for any amount of time and doesnt know that THE SLIP are easily my favourite band, and why, probably hasnt been paying close enough attention. but if you're curious, you could probably do a site search with my name and the slip keyword and find a thousand posts to help you find the answer. ::

edit: i'll make it easier... apply what misspink said about Ween to The Slip, and there you have it. i love Ween, too.