Jambands.ca

The Official Jambands.ca Hate Thread

Lazlo

I hate going to the grocery store to buy (among other things) bananas, and all they have are really green ones. You shrug, bite the bullet, and buy the least green ones you can find, get home, and try to make a peanut butter and banana sandwich, which gets your fingers covered in that kind of starchy goo that underripe bananas give off as you peel them (which is hard, because the peel comes off in pieces, requiring you to dig in with a knife and/or finger nails to get that green hide off), and results in a pb+b sandwich that, well, just isn't right: the bananas aren't sweet or soft enough, and it has a mouth feel more akin to potatoes than bananas. Bleccchhh.

And I have a feeling that the latest batch I bought will be one that simply won't ripen at all. I'm trying the put-'em-in-a-brown-paper-bag-with-an-apple trick (ethylene gas, you are my friend...), but we'll see if it works. If it doesn't, well, into the fry pan they go!

Aloha,

Brad

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad,

I've had that problem many a time. The apple and bag seems to work but it takes longer than I thought. What's REALLY strange is that the Loblaw's Organic Bananas (don't know the origin offhand) seem to stay green indefinitely, until one day you come home and they're black. They even resist the apple/brown bag trick. I almost wonder if the pesticide-laden ons are almost safer? :)

If it doesn't, well, into the fry pan they go!

yummmmmmm

now there's som'n i don't hate!

when i lived in Jamaica i ate fried green bananas all the time. they taste just like fries, but better! fried ripe bananas had a way sweeter taste to them, but also very delicious.

I hate going to the grocery store to buy (among other things) bananas, and all they have are really green ones.

And I have a feeling that the latest batch I bought will be one that simply won't ripen at all.

Update: the bananas, both the ones I put in the bag and the ones I left on the counter, are yellowing nicely. They should be perfect by the time I get back from nero tour. :)

Aloha,

BRAD (Bananas Ripening All Day)

i hate people that make my girlfriend upset by spreading lies around simply because he can't have her.

funnyest think i've heard all day, dude i'm glad i learned my lesson, so be it the hard way,, but none the less she is your problum now

have fun, i just wouldn't let her out of my sight, unless i didn't want to be embarresed or get a std or something.

and Lazo, who ever you are i owe you a`beer