Jambands.ca

National Park Experiences

snarfmaster C

Hi there friendly sanctuary folks,

I have made it to the interview stage for a National Park Warden competition, so I am trying to learn everything I can about the National Parks System and the role of Park Warden. I thought I'd put up a post here to see if any of you folks have had any experiences in National Parks that were exceptional, or horrible, for whatever reasons. While it'd be great to hear about how beautiful the place is, for my purposes I'd appreciate it if you'd include details about the park infrastructure and employees and how these affected your experience - if you have anything to share in that regard.

While you're at it, all the positive vibrations you can muster for me next tuesday are very much appreciated ;)

peace

earthfreak

I've always had nothing but good expirences at Bruce Peninsula National Park (Cyprus Lake mainly) no problems or issues at all,always treated excellent.Eventually they even knew my name,my g/f's name and our dogs names,very friendly and helpful.The park is always well maintained and accessible year round.

Here's the link to the site though I'm sure you already know it:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/on/bruce/index_e.asp

edit to add;

I forgot to wish ya good luck.

Cheers

Moose, good luck to you. One cool thing that I learned in Cape Breton National Park is that when the warden or staff find road kill they usually move it to a site where it can be scavenged naturally by the other animals. Those roads in the park that have no signs (and you always wonder where they go????) sometimes lead to these sites.

ah sweet lady! you are SO LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!! getting hired on to parks canada has been one of my lifelong dreams.

i lived in banff national park for a lovely 4 months [approximately]. what can i say... [for the purposes of interviews] there was not an overbearing presence of security in most cases [as per personal opinion, well, i don't appreciate bears/cougars/etc being killed on account of stupid human mistakes, but i digress...] the park i think does its best to manage the magnificence within while not being omnipresent... does this make sense? i may simply be echoing the previous posts but man, what an honour, to be working to protect and cultivate the absolutely amazing natural gifts that canada has. ahhhhhh dream job indeed!!!

Every time I've been camping over the last several years I'm plagued with head colds and asthma attacks.

that's because you're weak! :D

but good luck moose and here's some heartfelt good vibes. i am a firm believer in the power of the jambands.ca vibes for interviews. btw, what kind of education does that require? ricky's looking in to career change.

so this one time i was living in a school bus in banff national park, which happened to have a tiny woodstove in it. i had it parked out on the street in front of my friends place. He had a no smoking rule in his house, so he could smoke in the bus and i could sh...use the bathroom in his place.

so anyways, this nice little arrangement went on for a week or so and one night a few of us decide to take some lsd. well actually ALOT of lsd. so there we are tripping away and it starts getting cold, so what the hell let's fire up the wood stove. i pack the stove full of wood and newspaper and fire it up. ahhh nice and warm. after a while it starts getting quite hot, so we start stripping down to our undies. it was getting really hot. all of a sudden i look at the wood stove and it is totally bright red. the fire had gotten so hot the this litte lead belly stove was glowing red. it was right at this moment that i hear a knock at the school bus doors. so i crank it open and who should be there but none other then the local park ranger. i guess you're not aloud to sleep in your vechile in banff national park without a permit. i tried to explain that we weren't camping here merely parking the bus and then going in to visit my friend. then the warden reminded us the we were in our underwear, grateful dead blaring and a glowing red wood stove, pumpimg smoke out the chimney. i guess it kinda look like we were settled in for the night. luckly they were really cool and let us stay for the night, but told us we were going to have to move to a desinated camping area in the morning.

so if you ever plan on taking lsd in a national park, make sure you get a permit first.

discalimer: this tale is purely anecdotal. i do not condone the use of drugs for the purposes of humour. ::

ha ha boogie you're funny ::

btw, what kind of education does that require? ricky's looking in to career change.

at least a BSc in natural sciences/resource management, plus all kinds of outdoors experience, and knowledge of parks canada operations and resource management practices.

thanks for the good wishes everbody :)

i absolutely think people should pay to enjoy our National Parks.

Not too crazy that some Parks have turned out these unharmonious communities ie: Banff

I love being in them, National or otherwise. Goldstream on Vancouver Island when the salmon are dying off and it stinks to high heaven is just awesome. Or taking a walk through the maples there in winter with the limbs dripping in moss and ferns. ::

You'll do well moose...can't think of a person more passionate about the earth mother than you.