Jambands.ca

CNN doesn't even know what poutine is!!!!

rubberdinghy

Dunno... How come in the Netherlands (and elsewhere) they put Mayo on fries? Diffren't Strokes for different folks, eh? The US is weird that way. Some places call it soda, some call it pop, down south, they call it a coke: (And this has happened to me)

Southern Waitress: "What would you like to drink?"

Northern Guy: "I'll take a Coke, please"

Southern Waitress "What kind of Coke would you like, sir?"

Northern Guy: "You mean like Diet or Regular?"

Southern Waitress: "No I mean, like do you want Coke, or Root Beer, or Sprite, or Dr. Pepper, or..."

Like I said, it's weird, in the south they drink sweet tea and eat grits. You don't have that in the northern states (So the comment made about grits eating yankees is a bit off BTW). I don't know if it's the mason-dixon line or what, but it's funny how quickly things changes from state-to-state and region-to-region. I live in Cleveland, and I don't think I have an accent. If I go South 2 hours (By West Virginia) People sound to me like they're from Georgia or something and they ask if I'm from Canada, or New York, all kinds of different places...

Personally, I like Poutine and I like vinegar on my fries, too. And white vinegar is commonly used diluted as a streak-free glass cleaner...

heya steve from cleveland..

when you say they drink sweat tea down south are you talking about iced tea or hot tea? cuz my experience with iced tea south of the mason-dixon line is that it's essentially just cold tea.. completely unsweetened

and if you want to talk about regional foods in the US.. what's the deal with chicken fried steak :)

Southern Waitress: "What would you like to drink?"

Northern Guy: "I'll take a Coke, please"

Southern Waitress "What kind of Coke would you like, sir?"

Northern Guy: "You mean like Diet or Regular?"

Southern Waitress: "No I mean, like do you want Coke, or Root Beer, or Sprite, or Dr. Pepper, or..."

Check out this link ====> Pop vs. Soda

when you say they drink sweat tea down south are you talking about iced tea or hot tea? cuz my experience with iced tea south of the mason-dixon line is that it's essentially just cold tea.. completely unsweetened

and if you want to talk about regional foods in the US.. what's the deal with chicken fried steak :)

Hey... My experience has been that Iced Tea is served cold, always unsweetened... In the Southern states, they have this yummy treat that they call sweet tea, which is iced tea, but sweetened already (If you've ever tried to sweeten COLD iced tea, you know it doesn't work too well). I've been in resteraunts where if you order an Iced tea they'll ask if you want iced tea or sweet tea ('cause they can tell i'm a yankee). But if you've been in the south and ordered Iced Tea, you probably got COLD UNSWEETENED tea. Next time, order sweet tea, instead, and prepare to be yummified... I really like sweet tea, but nowhere up here serves it (Except for Skyline Chili which is another thread in and of itself, especially considering the US road food thread)

As far as Chicken-Fried Steak, well, there are just some things that should not be...

FYI, Chicken-fried steak is beef, usually round steak, tenderized then dipped in a mixture of egg and milk, then dredged in seasoned flour and/or crumbs. It is then fried in hot oil, shortening, or drippings until the coating is browned and crispy, similar to fried chicken. A milk gravy made from the drippings and dregs left in the pan is usually served with it, along with mashed potatoes.

So, basically, it's Beef (steak) fried up like chicken. Why? I don't know... I've had it, and it's not great, but neither are grits, and I know some southerners who'll argue about both those statements pretty extensively. I guess it's all about where you grew up and what you ate growing up that become your 'comfort foods' or something?

S from C

mmmmmm, my meal plan at izzy's usually consists of sharing one poutine daily. yum yum! izzy's poutine is da bomb.

the best is the "peutine" game. you pick a target, and systematically go about pronouncing poutine "peutine" at regular intervals. the point of the game is to eventually get said target to actually slip up and order "peutine" by accident. it is such a rewarding and knee slapping experience to win. ::

steve, up here in the great white north, ALL iced tea is sweetened (and usually flavoured with lemon). i remember stopping at a subway on my virgin drive to florida, and being so excited they offered ice tea as one of the fountain beverages (which must not have been available at the subways up here at that time). i greedily filled my cup, anticpating the lovely taste, and nearly spit it out when i took the first sip. how crushing, cold, bitter, unsweetened tea. *shudder* that was one of the big american vs. canadian differences i remember learning firsthand!

steve, up here in the great white north, ALL iced tea is sweetened (and usually flavoured with lemon). i remember stopping at a subway on my virgin drive to florida, and being so excited they offered ice tea as one of the fountain beverages (which must not have been available at the subways up here at that time). i greedily filled my cup, anticpating the lovely taste, and nearly spit it out when i took the first sip. how crushing, cold, bitter, unsweetened tea. *shudder* that was one of the big american vs. canadian differences i remember learning firsthand!

Yuk! I know that feeling, thinking you're about to have something really good, and it turns out to be terrible... Like when you order fountain pop/soda/coke and the syrup is almost out, so it LOOKS ok, but tastes like soda water... Ugh... Yeah, so a disclaimer to all Canadians: Don't order Iced tea in the states... Or, if you're in the south, you can, but make sure you ask for sweet tea...

Take care, and I'll be (hopefully) seeing you sooner than later!!!

Steveland

"I know this sounds horrible but I think I could easily do Franco's Triple Overtime...."

Umm, Dinghy? I gotta be there if you ever decide to try that.

3 or their 16 ounce 'overtime stacks' topped with Colby cheese and smokey bbq sauce. If you eat all three in 15 minutes, you get a free ball cap. Good luck with all of that.

And Ahess, you wouldnt do the Gatineau Gal once (specially if you were drunk)?

Look at her:

Lumpy curd cheese, factory fries on the Burg & fresh canned gravy.

fu©k, I am getting hungry.

3 or their 16 ounce 'overtime stacks' topped with Colby cheese and smokey bbq sauce. If you eat all three in 15 minutes, you get a free ball cap. Good luck with all of that.

(If this is still the works here) They used to have a milkshake challenge, in which you had to drink 2 litres of milkshake in under 10 minutes to get the cap.

I managed to pull it off, but I was definitely in a fetal position for the proceeding hour. :o