Jambands.ca

purple foot if you like Tom Petty listen to

TimmyB

Hey purple foot in your quote "tom petty is a perfect example of genuinely good 80's music." It makes me think you like the great Tom Petty and his band of Heartbreakers.

I love Tom Petty a lot. I know you said you won't listen to my opinion on music anymore, but if you want to hear some more great music Petty has been apart of, influenced by or has influenced read on. To anyone else I hope this enhances your listening pleasure of the boy from Gainsville, Florida.

First of the Johnny Cash American Recordings. Specifically:

"Unchanined" (Tom and the Heartbreakers are the backing band and Cash performs Petty's song "Southern Man")

"Solitary Man" (Tom is back again with Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench and Cash again records another Petty classic "I Won't Back Down")

"The Man Comes Around" (This time no Tom but Campbell and Tench are back again)

"Unearthed" (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers dominate Volume Two "Trouble In Mind." Including Petty doing a duet with Cash on the Merle Haggard song "The Running Kind." Also Volume Five "Best of Cash on American" has "Southern Accents" making the cut. The liner notes are amazing too having quotes from all the Heartbreakers and Cash speaks about Petty as well.)

Also you should pick up The Byrds catologue as Petty was quoted saying the the Heartbreakers were an attempt at mixing the Rolling Stones with the Byrds. Specifically:

The Byrds "Mr. Tambourine Man" (Petty would later cover the classic Gene Clark track "I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better" on his "Full Moon Fever" album)

The Byrds "Younger Than Yesterday" (Petty would also cover the another great Byrds song, this time the Roger McGuinn/Chris Hillman composition "So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star" on Petty's live album "Pack Up the Plantation - Live!")

Roger McGuinn "Thunderbird" (Petty's debut album on MCA wasn't even a year old when the leader of the Byrds covered Petty's "American Girl" on this 1977 album)

Roger McGuinn "Back From Rio" (Tom Petty and Heartbreakers Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench and Stan Lynch are on almost every track on this album. Also Petty cowrites "King of the Hill" with McGuinn)

In 1994 Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers had a band opening for them that were like a younger version of the Heartbreakers. They were Pete Droge & the Sinners. Petty liked them so much that he sometimes covered one of their songs during his headlining set.

Droge would later join up with Matthew Sweet and Shawn Mullins in 2003 to create the Thorns a Crosby, Stills & Nash type group that are also very good.

As for Pete Droge & The Sinners specifically:

"Necktie Second" (Their debut in 1994 on American Recordings. Which was produced by longtime Pearl Jam producer Brendan O'Brien)

"Find A Door" (The sophomore effort, which is better than the debut and again has O'Brien at the helm)

You should also check out another American Recordings band that has been influenced by Tom Petty. The Minnesota band The Jayhawks. Specifically:

"Hollywood Town Hall" (Their first on a major label. It has the track "Waiting for the Sun" which sounds a lot like Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance." There has been quite the debate as to which song came first. The Jayhawks were on Rick Rubin's record label who produced the new Petty track for his upcoming "Greatest Hits." Also the Jayhawks producer was George Drakoulias, who was also in the studio and would later produce Petty's "The Last DJ" album.)

"Tomorrow the Green Grass" (another great effort and the last with Mark Olson that broke up the songwriting team of Olson and Gary Louris)

That's it for now, maybe I'll post more later.

Wheres the Dylan/Petty recordings?

For shame.

This was just meant to be a brief overview, it's not comprehensive. I also just wanted to put out stuff that was easily accessible at any run of the mill record store (minus the McGuinn "Thunderbird" album that might be hard to find).

Also I don't think Bob Dylan's "Knocked Out Loaded" album in which Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers appear would qualify as recomended listening to the casual fan.

Neither would that "Band of the Hand" song they did for the Michael Mann film.

This was just meant to be a brief overview, it's not comprehensive. I also just wanted to put out stuff that was easily accessible at any run of the mill record store (minus the McGuinn "Thunderbird" album that might be hard to find).

Also I don't think Bob Dylan's "Knocked Out Loaded" album in which Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers appear would qualify as recomended listening to the casual fan.

Well Tim,as I have found out on this board,humor doesn't seem to sit well with you so I will play it your way.

I wasn't even thinking about Knocked Out Loaded,but if the Jayhawks or Shawn Mullins come into play here then I would think The Dylan/Petty recordings would also.(KOL & BOTH)

There is alot of easily accessible Dylan/Petty recordings out there Tim,all of which are alot easier to find then Knocked out Loaded or even Band of the Hand.

-Goes Fishin' In Modena 1987-12-09

-Bob Dylan Reference With Friends Vol. 2

And given that practically every boot on Bob Boots or Cedar are easily available online,its actually easier to find them then those two studio releases.

Anyway,was just attempting a funny,not an indepth discussion about the field recordings.

holy fu©k dude you got something to prove to me or what. You're clearly a bigger petty fan than me. congratulations!!

I'll never doubt your musical knowledge again.

This post wasn't meant as a pissing contest of "I know more than you do." This thread was started because of a post you made on my Sting thread which read "By taking him seriously i mean i don't know if anyone can like sting that much or if he's just trolling. either or I'm not taking any new music advice from that guy."

I just wanted to make this post to say, just because I love Sting, and U2 doesn't mean that I can't relay something of substance about another artist that you enjoy, like a Tom Petty.

I'm on this site because of my love for music, period. I make posts about any and nearly every band that interests me as I hope that I can relay some kind of relevant information to anyone else who enjoys the artist that I just made the thread about.

I don't go around making fun of people for making threads about artists I do not enjoy. I prefer to keep my opinion to myself in those situations as I'm not out here to hurt anyones feelings by putting down a artist they enjoy.

I hope the information I put at the start of this thread enhances your enjoyment of Tom Petty and anyone else who enjoys him as well.

Be well and enjoy the music.

Well Tim,as I have found out on this board,humor doesn't seem to sit well with you so I will play it your way.

I wasn't even thinking about Knocked Out Loaded,but if the Jayhawks or Shawn Mullins come into play here then I would think The Dylan/Petty recordings would also.(KOL & BOTH)

There is alot of easily accessible Dylan/Petty recordings out there Tim,all of which are alot easier to find then Knocked out Loaded or even Band of the Hand.

-Goes Fishin' In Modena 1987-12-09

-Bob Dylan Reference With Friends Vol. 2

And given that practically every boot on Bob Boots or Cedar are easily available online,its actually easier to find them then those two studio releases.

Anyway,was just attempting a funny,not an indepth discussion about the field recordings.

As you know Esau, I'm a big Bob Dylan fan. Sometimes I take it too seriously, is it wrong to take music so seriously? If it is then I'm guilty, just as the people on this board that know me well (MarcO, hamilton, Cyberhippie just to name a few).

This original thread was an attempt at humor, as purple foot said he wouldn't take musical advice anymore becaue I like Sting.

Well I like Tom Petty as he stated in the Sting thread that he did as well. I wanted to see if he would take my advice and seek out some of these Petty related/influenced/material.

I don't know if he will or not? But I thought it was funny.

If I was forced to submit sexually to one living Traveling Wilbury, it would definitley be Tom Petty.

Or Jeff Lynne.

Roy Orbison would've taken that prize, but alas. :( I couldve been be your pretty lady, roy.

Not Bob Dylan? Dylan's sperm is probably more intelligent than the average human being. Think of the children you could spawn with his sperm.

Though Tom Petty rocks.

Ok,Tim.My apologys then,I only read your first post in the Sting thread after you posted it,after that I haven't opened it once.I'm not a fan of Stings solo music but am a very big fan of the Police,so I wasn't even aware that any of what you just explained even happened.If I had I probally would have understood you r comments to me better.

Although I do take my Dylan pretty seriously (just look at my collection) I guess I just don't take *that* seriously.

Anyway,I'll see ya this friday and I have a Dylan treat for ya as well the show you went to in Rochester (correct?) and the Van Morrison,which is sitting right in front of me.

Cheers bro,no offence meant, I hope ya know that.

holy fu©k dude you got something to prove to me or what. You're clearly a bigger petty fan than me. congratulations!!

I'll never doubt your musical knowledge again.

This post wasn't meant as a pissing contest of "I know more than you do." This thread was started because of a post you made on my Sting thread which read "By taking him seriously i mean i don't know if anyone can like sting that much or if he's just trolling. either or I'm not taking any new music advice from that guy."

I just wanted to make this post to say, just because I love Sting, and U2 doesn't mean that I can't relay something of substance about another artist that you enjoy, like a Tom Petty.

I'm on this site because of my love for music, period. I make posts about any and nearly every band that interests me as I hope that I can relay some kind of relevant information to anyone else who enjoys the artist that I just made the thread about.

I don't go around making fun of people for making threads about artists I do not enjoy. I prefer to keep my opinion to myself in those situations as I'm not out here to hurt anyones feelings by putting down a artist they enjoy.

I hope the information I put at the start of this thread enhances your enjoyment of Tom Petty and anyone else who enjoys him as well.

Be well and enjoy the music.

sowwy if i hurt yo feewings. It's called criticism. I take it with a grain of salt. you take it WAAAAYYY to seriously. that hamilton smog clouding your sense of humour or what? don't go off yourself cause someone put down sting. but he clearly sucks and you need to know this.

Yes the infallible purple foot tells me Sting sucks so it must be true.

Why don't you make a comprehensive list of every artist you've ever listened to and I'll make mine we'll see how infallible you are.

By the way, I also love Genesis and all the artists that were apart of that band, including Phil Collins. Let the trashing begin. [color:"purple"] [color:"purple"] [color:"purple"] [color:"purple"]