nelsonfromnelson

Hey y'all. shows from our summer tour are now for sale online. The link:

http://www3.telus.net/evan/realtimeRecords.htm

the first batch of shows for sale:

Lydia's, saskatoon $20 2 disc set

Central bar+grill, Victoria $20 2 disc set

Salt Lounge, London $12

Compilation (London/Thunder Bay/Winnipeg) $12

The audio quality is killer, and will get yer mojo cookin'. More shows coming soon, check out our site at wassabi.net for updates and touring info..................

I remember Del got a live 2 disc set from Raq, an awesome group out of burlington, vt you should all know about, and the discs had cool looking labels, i think it came in a soft cover but with a setlist printed in the same theme as the disc label, and it got there in 2 days and I think all we had to do was send the discs.

I think that any band that has a hope of succeeding in this type of genre has to be willing to allow their music to be taped and traded by the fans, so that they can make more fans. This is the kind of thing you give out at shows for free for those who show interest, for people like SugarMegs, sell your studio for $20 if you want but keep in mind most bands sell for $15 (including a lot of discs in your local HMV). Trust that your fans will support you (and we will but it's gotta be win/win, not win/2nd to last place) and give them a hand in spreading the good word of your music.

Edit to add: as an afterthought, I have a good friend who saw you at a come together that I dragged her to and she loved the fest and you guys a lot, it was the one with the all night drumming. I gave her a copy of 2 live shows I had of TWC and she still listens to them this day. She's gotten 3 or 4 of her friends to come to your shows when you're in the area and I know they've brought some of their friends and purchased some of your merch. All of that wouldn't have happened if I didn't have a copy of your live show that I'd traded someone else for. If your name and sound hadn't stayed fresh in my friends mind she never would have noticed when you guys came back, or passionately told her friends about you. It's alot easier to convince doubtful friends of the goodness of something when you have something to play for them. Bah, I rant. Yey hot steamy goodness.

I thought this string was only on the hub, but it isn't so here is my paraphrased quote......

To come out of the blocks selling your material, doesn't give people any incentive to check out your band instead of anther CanJam band who may be spreading their live material at no cost. This is very shortsighted with respect to operational benefit. How will fans become fans who spend their money on studio albums and shows, if they can't get some free live music to check out? Do you think that Phish drew 80,000 people to Big Cypress because so many people paid their $20 to hear 4.15.86 and that killer Dog Log back in the day? I don't think so.

The proof is in the pudding that live music trading, can build a solid word of mouth fanbase- and its those fans who will pay $6 to see you play in their town, and if they dig it maybe they'll be willing to shell out $8 the next time and so on. Read Alexis post for evidence to this fact.

I just really believe in the power of the people in this scene and their ability to spread the word "by any means neccesary"- and unfortunately there are just too many awesome bands out there offering their live music up free of charge for me to cough up $20..............

Sean

ps. I spend an ass load of money on music, shows etc. and I dig the Collective- and if I won't spend the $$ I am not sure how many others out there will either.

Well said Northern Wish.

Wasabi Collective...this is a bad decision on your part.

While it may be a point that the choice is ours to purchase and there is not an arm being twisted.

There is a counterpoint that your new fans or those who have never heard a note of your music may perceive this as GOUGING!

i'd pay 30 if it was a studio or if it brought those f'n maremba players back. they kicked ass.

You know where I stand on this... Wassabi reached their peak as an organic four piece techno jam band. They were a little too world beat for me with mirimbas, and are now just a washed up half ass reggae band... (Thanks for ruining a great band Guisto! You jackass!). And even at their peak as a four piece, I STILL wouldn't have paid 30 bucks for a studio album of theirs, let alone a live recording...

look i like seeing melissa's knockers bounce around while she bangs on her drums as much as the next person but i'd say that the world beat sound was what gave wassabi the uniqueness that drew a lot of folks in. If you've got to have djembe's and hand drums in your organic techno jam band i'd rather tND with shakey over TWC's version anyday.

I think you're misunderstanding me... By organic, I mean, it sounded raw and more real... tND sounds like techno, I've said it a million times before, they are the best at what they do. But to just add a djembe player to their sound would be like layering a live djembe over a techno LP... What Wassabi did as a four piece was very unique... They maintained a VERY high energy dance beat while still sounding like a live band. And for the record, Melissa is a lot more than just eye candy (although she is DEFINATELY that...), she's hands down the best djembe player in our country. Remember, she's played with a lot bigger bands than Shakey has (not to discount his playing). Shakey gets to play with Wassabi, Melissa gets to play with Spearhead...

You mean just because someone shows up and makes one post (their second ever) trying to sell live shows recorded in bars, they are goudging? ;)

Well said Northern Wish. Wasabi Collective...this is a bad decision on your part.

While it may be a point that the choice is ours to purchase and there is not an arm being twisted.

There is a counterpoint that your new fans or those who have never heard a note of your music may perceive this as GOUGING!

So,sorta off topic I suppose,but all this has me wondering if the taping policies have maybe changed?

Will taping no longer be permitted if TWC is now selling live recordings (SBDs I'm assuming)?

-and-

If taping is still permitted will it be restricted to AUDs only or will board patches be permitted too?

As for the live discs,I don't know if I would spend $20 on CDRs (opposed to a studio release),but then again,if the taping policies have changed then I guess if I wanted the show enough I'd spend the cash.Ten would seem more reasonable to me,but hey,thats me & I am not in the band trying to make a living playing music.If I was, I'd perhaps see it different.

she's hands down the best djembe player in our country.

sorry i'ed have to disagree, melissa couldn't keep time if you taped a clock to her ear. they're the epitome of stupid jam band. endless jams that go nowhere, with sloppy playing and bad timing. reggae is the best thing that could ever happen to that band. if they want to be a band that plays instrumental tunes than learn to play your instrument.

Shaky can play circles around melissa. Shaky is one of the best conga players i've ever seen.

not to smoke the shakey pole here but i'd have to agree with friendly.

del you haven't seen a lot of contact lately. they're off, they're on, but shakey really CAN play, their music doesn't always showcase his talents but hey, he's part of an ensemble.

edit to add : and i would define organic techno as music that sounds like it's been created with a computer or by artificial/electronic means when it's being created by individuals playing instruments.

at the very least, Wassabi wins the most passionately debated band award

$20 does sound awful steep... you can buy a Slip album new for $12 or $13 (US)... if such is the case though you'd hope there's some original art on the cover and lyrics included, etc... something that warrants such a price

I've liked Wassabi all the way through for the most part, not as into the reggae side now but still enjoy dancing it up when the jams get going... I like the New Deal an awful lot too, don't really see the 2 bands as comperable though as though both can sound kind of techno-like, one's more outdoor tribal-ish and world beat and the other's cleaner, like a new york underground club feel

variety, the spice of life

i bought 2 shows at evolve.

20 bucks a piece.

totally worth it.

listen to em all the time.

dont want em? dont buy em.

buy em and dont like em? give em to me.

i guess the band posted this to appeal to those who might be interested in the discs. i guess that worked, cuz now i know about em.

thanks wassabi, now come back to toronto, please.

(and hamilton, and CTMF)

cheers.

You guys should chill out a little. I own one of the two disc sets. Recording quality is amazing. There is art for the cover and on the discs. I'm pretty sure they're cdr, but yes there is art and they did put effort into these. They had a guy do multi track recording at their shows, on tour, having disks ready right after the shows. Just like Moe. does. Moe. charges $30 USD. Wassabi aint no Moe., but the disc concept is the same or simmilar. They had to pay the dude lots of cash to do this project. If $20 is too steep for you and you don't like the band, don't buy it. I don't think a band trying to make a living is an insult. Just because music is available for free, it doesn't meen musicians have no right to sell their own. If you're interested in these disks and it's too pricey, split it with some friends and burn it for eachother. By the way, does $20 include tax and shipping? If so that sounds like a pretty good deal to me (as long as you like the band). I'm sure they still allow taping as well.

By the way... Shitidiot: you may be a jerk, but you rule! Gimmee a shout sometime.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

I WONT EVER BUY ANYTHING AGAIN FROM WASNOBBY COLLECTIVE. THEY PLAYED ON MY BIRTHDAY HERE AT PEPPERJACKS, AND THEY SUNG A SONG FOR ME, IT ROCKED, SO I BOUGHT THE CDS,, 20 fu©king DOLLARS FOR 2 CDS, NO DEAL CUZ I WORKED FOR THEM, NO DEAL CUZ IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY, AND THE 2ND CD HAD ABOUT 4 SONGS ON IT, MAYBE 25-30 MINS OF MUSIC, NO BIRTHDAY JAMS, I WAS PISSED.

if your going to sell shows, go for it, but lower the prices unless you know how to do it right, which obviously you dont, maybe youve got it figured out by now?

boo urns to wassobi taper guy, cracka ass cracka

EDIT>> hey PP i think it was, i cant remember who mentioned that the guy they had doing their taping was the bomb,, he was a shwilly bastid IMHO. even at CTMF he took about 2 hrs to get the cds ready, i was the only person waiting at their merch table, and only because i wanted to bitch about the other show, the PJC show. now here is the kicker, they fu©ked up my PJC show, and they wouldnt replace it with another cd either from PJC or CTMF or any other show they had.

boo fuggin urns. :: :: :: :: ::