Jambands.ca

My favorite Tsunami story so far (positive)

scottieking

"Stone Age tribes shun tsunami aid"...

I hate the fu©king globe and mail...as if these people just skipped tens of thousands of years of evolution and stayed "paleolithic"... bullsh!t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They've obviously been evolving or they wouldn't have had the knowledge needed to survive... so contradictory that I'm just frustrated out of my head.

"Island of the Cannibals"... grrrrrr.... if they've never spoken to outsiders what makes us think they want to eat us?

It's just all so "primtive" of our culture to assume the most ridiculous bullsh!t possible in order to attract some attention.

SUPER BIG THORGNOR GROWL.

On the other hand it's great to hear that we don't need technology to fare well against the worst of our planets assaults on us.

No beef Scottieking, thanks for bringing this to us. I just get insulted by the bigotry of the "mainstream media"... they don't even represent "mainstream" thought (if mainstream means popular, as in lots of people think it's true or right).

thought the article was quite flattering to the tribes involved there Theopha---... (did you read the whole thing?)

like calling them 'Stone Age' was a good thing, as in it saved their necks by being so in touch with the planet... I think it simply implied they chose to keep living by a successful method of living as thats all they need or want

reminds me of how they're saying that the only animals killed by the tsunami were pets and some livestock... all the wild rabbits to birds to elephants knew to get out of the way Did animals' 'sixth sense' save them from tsunami?

there's an excellent series on the Discovery Channel called Ice World that looks at the different types of thought development required to adapt to different types of life in different environments from the Ice Age on... really interesting stuff, often makes modern man mostly look pretty dumb by comparison of what people were accomplishing long before civilization was established... cool stuff to think about

[quote

On the other hand it's great to hear that we don't need technology to fare well against the worst of our planets assaults on us.

This is pretty much what I was impressed about, plus the image of the archer coming out to fire at the helicopter. Sort of a "fu©k off, we're better off than you'll ever be"

PS Is Dr. Bruce TheophrastusBombastus getting angry and turning green and running around the house going "THORGNOR SMASH!!"?

My arguement Paisley is that they have not remained "stone age" at all... they evolved beside us and their way of life has likely DRASTICALLY changed since then. Just cause they haven't relied on technological development doesn't mean they haven't learned anything new in thousands of years, or that they haven't had to alter their way of life to get by... just like us. We rarely use our ability ot smell the air or feel the earth unless there's a tragedy. These people have been doing it as a matter of course for quite a while and have developed some really interesting techniques, but they're not Fred Flintstone no matter how hard we try to say they are.

Not m2c, reality.

Does it matter that the Globe and Mail merely quoted a guy who said it was the Island of Cannibals? Maybe to skip all the anthropological stuff and give a context for laypeople?

I dunno. Let's all get mad at everything today.

AD

i'm with the anthropology geeks on this one. the language used in this article to describe these people implies to me that they are intellectually inferior because of their lack of intelligence as defined by modern western society. the article also highlights how the man wasn't wearing any clothing which further illustrates the "us and them" attitude conveyed by the author. personally i think these people are our superiors in many ways such as the fact that they can live in balance with their ecosystem and thus sustain themselves for thousands of years in one spot, which is a hell of a lot more than i am doing. speaking just in survival terms here, these people totally are way more evolved than we are. maybe they won't let anyone else on the island because they have discovered the perfect system of morality and law, the meaning of life and the origins of the earth as well and have way too much fun laughing at us for being so far behind them.

Laypeople shouldn't be racist bigots either. :(

And no, I don't think anybody is more advanced than anybody else, except in certain areas. We've all been here for the same amount of time, the focus has just been different for some of us.

I'm not mad at everything... just perpetuated bullsh!t that doesn't need to be perpetuated.

the point of the article to me was that we have evolved ourselves right out of what should be common sense to humans, are moving so fast forward that we're leaving important things we still need behind... we've evolved ourselves out of awareness towards the planet we live on which really can't be good, people understand the artificial room around them but don't care that the weather is drastically altering (because it happens to be getting warmer, so they like it)... the article clearly states that the tribes didn't used to be hostile towards outsiders until the seemingly 'more civilized' British came along and started slaughtering them for their land

I thought the way you were taking the article assumed you looked at people who still lived in a culture similiar to one that would have existed in the 'stone ages' as inferior, whereas I don't see it that way at all... I picture people from back then as more highly adaptable yet more content with their lives (and not needing to rip down the world around them to earn money... not worrying about money being another thing I see these forest cultures having above us... money makes no sense to them, its fiction... whereas its almost everything to 'civilized' people)

(just explaining my view, I was just a little freaked out to see an article I really enjoyed and learned something from attacked so voraciously)

Don't get me wrong, the gist of the article is aiiight... the language isn't, and niether is the idea of the noble savage any more than the lowly heathen. I was hurt by the way that their evolution was entirely de-valued by the sense of the author. We're all adaptable brah.

no worries back at ya brah ::

guess maybe I'm de-sensitized towards the term "Stone Age tribes" as I don't hear it as derogatory... same as I just smile and keep walking when someone calls the people (myself included) on the Dead lot "hippies"

the only references to "head hunters" (Marco Polo) or "cannibals" (Ptolemaeus) in the article were taken from what explorers to the region called the people there 500 to almost 2000 years ago

thought the rest of the article was quite flatteringly written for a modern writer... thank god it didn't show up in the Toronto Sun!

I still think you're just upset Claudius Ptolemaeus was working on a name almost as long as yours almost 2 millenium ago ;)

Isolated from the rest of the world, the tribesmen needed to learn nature's sights, sounds and smells to survive.

anyone else see a problem with that?

as if the rest of the world doesn't need to know nature to survive. isolation's got nothing to do with it.

do some people really believe that technology has got nature beat?

until we have a sustainable way of life happening on a life-less planet i sure as hell ain't buyin it.

ok

just had a look at the headlines of the Globe and Mail and will concede that the editor who's making them up is much more tabloid-ish than the last time I read the Globe (years back, used to think the Globe was good)... thought the Hamilton Spectator was the worst (next to the T.O. Sun) but perhaps they've all gotten pretty bad... didn't Conrad Black buy up all the Canadian papers several years back? I think some other mega-media conglomerate has bought them off him since so odds are its all kind of shite writing/editing... there a lot of writing in the Alternative Press claiming that good liberal reporters have become far and few between, particularly in the States (go figure, that)

but I still really like the 'Stone Age' tribal people in the story! shoot that helicopter with your arrow, man!! shoot it!!!

=)

Shoot it, and be naked. But never let anyone tell you that you're a real live captain caveman. It may be "romantic" but it just ain't true. More evidence of the technocentrism of the West. :(

The same thing that we're talking about when we acknowldge their intimacy with the environment, and our own disconnection, is the same thing as insisting that the "Stone" age (as in time period) has persisted. They have the option of technological advancement, but have chosen to advance in other areas... they HAVE advanced though. Knowing these things has taken keen observation and a lot of innovation over the years. Perhaps it isn't even technocentrism but rather mechano-industrial-centricity. They probably have tools we couldn't reckognise or use, just like we do. No matter how hard we try to keep them as living fossils in our mind, they will progress, just like us.

I just really don't think buddy or his family living out in the forest give a chipped piece of flint over what people call them in the newspaper, or at the university... they'd likely think its totally insane anyone would worry about such things

the wolf-boy wasn't really a wolf at all but it still helped describe why he was more likely to grunt than quote Shakespeare

even if the label is wrong I'm glad to know they're stayin in the forest and doin it their own way

Me too, pais. And I agree.

But we live here and we have the power to destroy their lives... easily... simply by being insular and ignorant (not you brah, the train of thought that is present in our society, both of superiority and protectionism). I'm not condoning their insular or ignorant behaviour, but they have little power over making us change so we have to be aware of our actions to help sustain their choices. They have a rare way of being and it deserves to survive. We could learn a lot, no doubt, both from their "simplicity" and their inate complexities.