Jambands.ca

CANADIAN SUMMER FESTIVAL THREAD/QUESTION

kc

Riddle me this,

OK, If you were a killer jazz ensemble that's never come to Canada before and wanted to play the festival circuit here, West coast to the East. Where would you play and do you have any contact info for the fest? Also, what are the festivals dates??

I realize the deadline for band submissions is over for the major festivals, but again, this is a killer jazz ensemble.

Pre-Thank you to anyone who has cares to donate their time and info.

i have to suggest it. they probably won't make a whole lot of money but it's always fun. the come together music festival. wilcometogether@hotmail.com i think most of the ontario people on the board have been to at least one of these things. i've been going since 2001 i think and it really sucks when i have to miss one. i don't think i missed any last year, and i still wanted more. ::

I'm sure there must be some way to apply to all of the Canadian International Jazz Fests at once. I know alot of bands do the whole circuit ie Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal etc. These festivals are all usually in the last week of June - First week of July

Thanks Bradm...we can always count on you for the info!!!

I used to live there and know people. I was talking about a phone # of the people that run it so that you could actually talk to the person and maybe have a chance at getting a last minute gig. But truthfully I dont know how they do their planning so you never know, that website might be as good as any contact I could get.

Alot of the majors have already met and are making decisions and offers right now. However, non-major acts can still get on the bills for most the majors. It may be very hard however. The Major Jazzfests hold national meetings in fall and again this month. Most decision are being made right now and it can be very hard to get in as of now. Suggestion is to contact the program directors for the festivals. They make the final decisions and can most likely get your band on a free stage or opening slot for decent $$$ and rider.

Get moving now, most agents pitch there bands to all summer festivals in november/december and start getting offers right now. My band has been getting summer offers in this week, so you can get a picture of the timeline for summer bookings at small and major fetivals.

hope that helps!

grant

www.mosesmayes.com

7 hours tops.

maybe from Calgary! Or you're a crazy driver. I've done the Victoria to Nelson trip via hwy 3 MANY times and it always takes me 12 hours door to door. But then i stop to stretch and burn fatties on the way, and there's the ferry in there too.

Vancouver Jazz fest is really good. If for some reason they don't get in through the comittee, there's also clubs that hire independantly, but still have to do with the Jazz Fest and still get written up in the Jazzfest catalog. For example, The Media Club which is awsome. They have a nice bar, good staff, good sound, they're open real late and the last couple years for the Jazz fest they've had a great line up of Jazz/ Groove/ Jambands throughout the Jazzfest.

There's some great festivals in Northern BC as well...

Queen Charlottes - "Edge of the World Fest"

Smithers - ???

Kispiox - ???

I was at the Queen Charlottes one last year which is supposidly the smallest of the three and it was amazing!