Jambands.ca

Mark Wilson & Caution Jam Birthday AWESOME

Jay Funk Dawg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome night! the browntown kids played in every configuration possible, as many of us know, there are about twenty-five bands in brantford but they are all comprised of the same eight guys and shelby kerr. (i might be exaggerating, but only a little) hutch played a few tunes which is nice to see since he doesn't get out as much as he used to and he is one cool guitar player. i don't know that much about music but i know hutch's sound is something amazing and unique. the guys are working on a new album (so rumour has it) so there was quite a lot of new material but some of the old standards came out and were a very welcome part of the show. one new instrumental in particular (i can't remember the title) really showcased joel's bass skills as he holds the whole song together. mark wilson's voice sounded like it was in top shape and he belted out with his earth rumbling force and probably got even the ants dancing. mark surmanski's drumming is nice and tight, just like his harmonies, but he didn't sing enough. he does U2 well but he only got one verse in running to stand still. it's better when he does the whole thing and the others just help with backups and harmony. rich halle is a nice addition to the band. he makes the sound very full and is never ostentatious with his playing, i like his style. basically, they made me miss home a lot. jonny kerr covered the drums for caution jam and was his regular extremely talented and laid back self, as nice and cool as an ocean breeze. jeff hillhorst got in on some keys with them too which just made the wicked sound and vibe more full and fun. other than that, what can one say about caution jam, they're wicked and everyone knows it. they've been doing this for so long together that they are an undeniably professional group that always puts on a good show.

The place was packed, great vibe at the show, lots of smiling faces and dancing bodies, didn't get there until after Mark Wilson's set (sorry I missed it but couldn't be helped) and had to wait outside for some people to leave before we could get in, the Caution Jam boys tore it up, particularly Mark C. on guitar as he was obviously having a blast on his birthday.

Glad I made it to Brantford for the show!!!

Peace, Mark