Jambands.ca

CBC to broadcast Canadian tsunami relief concert

\/\/illy

Last Updated Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:30:09 EST

CBC Arts

TORONTO - The CBC announced plans Friday to broadcast a benefit concert for the victims of the Dec. 26 tsunami in South Asia.

The event, dubbed Canada for Asia, will air Jan. 13 at 7 p.m. in every time zone, except in Newfoundland, where it will be seen half an hour later.

Lasting three hours, the show will feature performances by the likes of Céline Dion, Bryan Adams, Rush, Blue Rodeo, Jann Arden and Oscar Peterson.

The show will air on CBC television, as well as on CBC Radio One.

The public broadcaster is also offering the show as a simulcast to all other TV and radio outlets in Canada.

"I think we all watched in shock and horror and sadness as this horrible natural disaster occurred," said singer Tom Cochrane, who is helping to organize the event.

Cochrane promised to put on a "very moving show."

Fellow organizer Denise Donlon said the acts that appear on the benefit will represent a "metaphor for the Canadian response" to the disaster, by which she means they will be drawn from all walks of life.

She said author Margaret Atwood, Hockey Night in Canada personality Don Cherry and Bubbles, the simple-minded alter ego of Trailer Park Boys star Mike Smith, have all agreed to make appearances. She expects there will be more names to announce in the coming days.

"We won't be able to fit everybody on this show but we're going to try to fit a lot," added Cochrane.

Tragically Hip vocalist Gord Downie, Barenaked Ladies, Anne Murray, Sloan, Molly Johnson and Daniel Lanois are also on the bill.

"This thing has come together with lightning speed," Donlon said. Plans to broadcast the show apparently started to come together only on Thursday morning.

Canada for Asia will be beamed out of the CBC Broadcasting Centre in Toronto. It's not known if the public will be allowed to take part as members of a studio audience.

Among the groups that will receive the proceeds are World Vision, the Canadian Red Cross, and UNICEF.

The CBC announcement comes one day after CTV announced plans to broadcast a star-studded relief concert on Jan. 29.

I'll check in for Oscar and Rush, and I'll donate money as well. That's what it's all about.

Like I said, it's definately good of the CBC to put it on... I hope they raise a bunch of cash from it, the majority of Canadians will tune in, I'm sure...