Jambands.ca

"Jam Cruise 3" - Article about the busts.

Esau

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

while i do think it is ridiculous that possession of 2 grams of pot is in any way, shape or form illegal, i have NO sympathy for these people. i mean, come on... it's not like the states having a huge war on drugs is exactly new & breaking information. and trying to pull something over on u.s. customs officials, ESPECIALLY in the state of florida (you can get the freakin' death penalty for acid there), is absolutely moronic.

it's one thing to 'accidentally' have a little something in your car or on your person when driving/bussing/walking over the canada/us border (which is still a stupid risk -- hell, at 17 i was detained at the border and almost arrested for having a freakin' STEM in my backback i didn't even realize was there), but it's another thing entirely to be going onto a commercial cruise ship -- ESPECIALLY from florida.

gad, if the idea of not bringing drugs to a show is THAT unfathomable, then bring some extra money & save the smuggling for people smart enough not to shove sh!t in their pants. stoooooopid

0519223839_valachovic,bethany.JPG

She was busted with TWO GRAMS of pot.

That's pretty unfortunate, at least in her case it was absolutely clear that it was for personal use and not for distribution.

I think (as I'm sure many of you do) that it is absurd to put people in jail and waste government money feeding, clothing and sheltering them for possessing a little weed. BUT as we all know, marijuana possession continues to be illegal both in Canada and in the States. In a situation like this, either you leave your dope at home or you go the full-on civil disobedience route, defiantly breaking the law and suffer the consequences proudly as a way to have the law changed. Something tells me these twelve weren't exactly aiming for the civil disobedience route, but that's what they got.

The part that gets me isn't that they were busted, it's that more than likely they were searched illegally.

Watch an episode of cops and count the number of illegal searches that begin with phrases like "You don't mind if we take a look in your purse do you?" or "You're not hiding anything in your car right? Mind if we take a look?" I have no doubt that in Pig school they teach you to use suggestive lines like that to skirt around a lack of a search warrant.

If any of these folks had put stuff on their person, and were lining up to get on the ship in a sober state of mind, I can't imagine any legality in patting them down except for weapons. The crotch is where it's at. And if you know your rights you can hold the whole damn ship up while customs decides whether to actually get that search warrant they need.

i *think* the drug sniffing dog set them off, allowing for the search and seizure.

I just can't think of anything else that dog could have been sniffing for....Not that the Americans should be worried about their borders or anything...

I bet the homeland security knows they are that much safer with those 12 arrested.

But you gotta love the Dentist with all the pills....I wonder if he huffed his Nitrous during Lunch Break, lol.

::

they may very well have not had any searching at all on the first 2 jamcruises, but weren't those on a private charter? i.e. it is simple common sense to think hey, maybe carnival cruise lines will have a bit more security than a big boat rented by some hippies. or hey, we're going through customs, onto a carnival cruiseline ship, and leaving through florida, gee, maybe i'll leave my coke and e and pot and heroin at home?

if the girl who got arrested for 2 grams & a pipe was minding her own business, walking down the street in her own town when nabbed, then yeah, i'd feel sorry for her. but trying to bring stuff across with the circumstances she was, especially in a post 9-11 world of massive customs security (not to mention, when due to the nature of the event, there'd be a high chance other people would be trying to bring worse stuff across, which would leave no opportunity whatsoever for an "okay, i'll just take this away from you, but go ahead onto the ship" reaction from officials if she did get caught), then i'm sorry, but sucks to be you. use your head.

[color:"purple"] "I feel terrible about my pal. He was just trying to pass through US customs with illegal drugs on his person, and they actually arrested him! Those bastards! Poor guy never saw it coming. I mean, really, who gets arrested for drug possession at a US customs searchpoint? What is this world coming to? Let's invade Peru."

PP I do agree with you - and Tube I must be a pothead because I hadn't thought of the dogs.

easy to say looking from the outside but if you've ever had someone you know arrested for any reason it sucks and they always deserve compasssion and support.

Why?

because that's what people who have compassion do and when you care about people you always try to help them anyway you can, both with the ups and the downs

nobody deserves to get busted. This same thing could easily happen at a come together or evolve. would people deserve to get busted then? people are just trying to do what they like to have a good time. yes there is always a risk when you particpate in something that has been deemed illegal by governments but that doesn't mean that they DESERVE to be arrested. Don't you see the danger in this logic? Anytime you take, or buy or particpate in taking illegal drugs you run the risk of being arrested and so does the person you sold/gave them to you, which chances is are is someone you know or care about. would you deserve it? or do only people you don't know deserve to be arrested?

This isn't a personal attack on anyone but really when something you like to do and really have right to do is deemed iilegal by a government it sucks and when your freedom is taken away because of it is just wrong and nobody deserves that

A couple of tings from boogie's rant stand out:

nobody deserves to get busted. This same thing could easily happen at a come together or evolve. would people deserve to get busted then? people are just trying to do what they like to have a good time

So would you apply that logic to pedophiles who enjoy touching children becuase, hey, they're just trying to do what they like to have a good time? Of course not, but that's because you think the drug laws are unjust and unclear and exact an unfair punishment. So your reaction is to lament the current laws that govern your particular pleassure. Well, there's whole lot of horny priests who are thinking and doing the same thing for something that they and their brethren enjoy.

yes there is always a risk when you participate in something that has been deemed illegal by governments but that doesn't mean that they DESERVE to be arrested. Don't you see the danger in this logic?

No, no I don't. I've broken the law many many times and haven't been caught yet. I think drug laws are unjust but if I get caught smuggling drugs onto a cruise line...I deserve to be arrested.

when something you like to do and really have right to do is deemed iilegal by a government it sucks and when your freedom is taken away because of it is just wrong and nobody deserves that

Again, insert Pedophilia and this entire foolish argument falls apart. Tell me that drug laws suck, and I'll leave it alone. Don't tell me this is just about personal rights because for fu©k's sake, I don't want my gun-toting neighbour to be given the right to take aim at the family dog because it's something he happens to enjoy.