Jambands.ca

Time for the 5 Disc Rotation thread!

bradm

Originally posted by zimmerman pt3:

[QB]4) The Smiths- The Queen is Dead>>> curious if anyone else digs these guys? Haven't listened to it in years (Rolling Stone gave it the "retro" album 5star spotlight this month); truely a landmark album from the wonderful 80's [Wink] .

I'm with you on this one! The Smiths were a great band - Johnny Marr is a very under-rated guitar player, at least in North America, and the rhythm section (Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke) kicks ass, too. Add in Morrissey singing alternately the most humourous and most depressing lyrics, and you've got a great mix.

"The Queen Is Dead" is a classic album, for sure; I also recommend "Strangeways, Here We Come" and "Louder Than Bombs". [Cool]

Brian.

nero 01-16-03 D1 Great show, great memories.

Del McCoury Band 06-13-97 Best bluegrass I've ever heard, hands down.

Dr. Didg 07-22-00 D2 Best "Bouncy" I've heard, great show.

nero 11-30-02 D2 Lemondust-> Centragnome, Condor. Sick!

Burt Neilson Band 10-31-01 D1 All 80's covers, hilarious!

It's pretty much a different nero show every day, so much incredible music to listen to. There's usually some Phish, raq or some other bluegrass in there as well.

Hamilton>

awesome you dig the Smiths too. Practically, in my circles I seem to stand alone in my admiration of the band (excluding my ex-girlfriend). Ever since I first heard them in London back in '92, I go through a chronic Smiths phase once a year; it's a nice break from the jams (I also dablle a little in solo Morrissey once I get a little tired of the Smiths catalogue). Honestly, I think all their albums are GOLD! It baffles me how much bitter sweetness they unleashed in their short 5 year career! Despite the slack, Morrissey is truely one of the greatest pop poets ever, and Andy Rourke doesn't get enough credit for laying down phat bass licks (ie. Barbarism Begins at Home)! I can go on forever about the Smiths.... [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by zimmerman pt3:

Hamilton>

awesome you dig the Smiths too. Practically, in my circles I seem to stand alone in my admiration of the band (excluding my ex-girlfriend).

I don't know too many others who are into them either (I know MarcO is starting to show some interest, though [smile] ); not these days, anyway. I was into all of that stuff through the mid-late '80s/early '90s: The Smiths, The Cure, The Housemartins, Echo & The Bunnymen, New Order, Psychedelic Furs, The Specials, you name it.

Interestingly, a lot of it still stands up pretty well 15+ years later.

I don't know whatever happened to Andy Rourke - I think he had a heroin problem. Johnny Marr is really busy as a session musician though, plus he's had numerous smaller side projects over the years...

last I heard, Andy Rourke's off heroin, and spins records here and there.

also, Rourke and Joyce took Morrissey and Marr to the House of Lords court and successfuly clared a share of Smith's record loyalties (can you believe they were cut out of the deal!); Morrissey's petitioning to get it overturned (like he's not loaded enough as is).

My dream would be to catch a Smiths reunion though; shit, I'll travel across the continent just to see Morrissey play 2hrs worth of solely Smith material just so I can groove and unite with the other shoplifters of the world, and thus, take a bow;)

Archived