Jambands.ca

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE FEW NOT SICK :: GO TO CASBAH

whiteymuseum

The newly updated listings...

CASBAH (& Casbah Lounge)

**Live Bands, DJs, Desserts, Coffee, After-work cocktails & good vibes**

306 King St W @ Queen

downtown Hamilton, Ontario

We Jan 19 "ECLECTRICITY" VARIETY NIGHT (weekly Wednesdays in the Lounge) :: this wk features: ELECTRULUMINESCENT, MUFFLED SUITCASE (ambient guitars/dub combo)

Th Jan 20 - LAL/MOONSTARR (trip-hop)

Fr Jan 21 - MMUSIC 2 BENEFIT (pop-rock)

Sa Jan 22 - DARRYL GOULD, ADAM SMITH, MATTHEW DeZOETE :: 7:30PM Early Show (songwriter's roundtable)

Sa Jan 22 - FAT CATS :: 10:30PM Late Show (jammah!)

Su Jan 23 - STRONG-WRITER'S SHOWCASE featuring Scott B Sympathy (singer-songwriter)

Mo Jan 24 - JOEL PLASKETT EMERGENCY & CUFF THE DUKE (indie-country)

Tu Jan 25 - PAN OUT NOW, SCIENCE NINJA BIG TEN (Featured at Blue Moon Open Stage) :: indie rock)

We Jan 26 "ECLECTRICITY" VARIETY NIGHT (weekly Wednesdays in the Lounge) :: this wk features: RYAN MASTERS, KLAUS FRAKISS

We Jan 26 - RED CROSS HAMILTON BENEFIT (10 Bands)

Th Jan 27 - STARS/A NORTHERN CHORUS (synth-pop)

Fr Jan 28 - BOB BRYDEN/ONYA/CHRIS YANG :: 7:30PM Early Show (songwriter's roundtable)

Fr Jan 28 - BLITZ CLIQ EP RELEASE :: 10:30PM Late Show (hip-hop)

Sa Jan 29 - DELUSIONS OF GRANDEUR CD Release (pop-rock)

Su Jan 30 - J.P. RIEMENS (CD Release) + LORI YATES (folk/country)

Mo Jan 31 - JOSH RITTER/JILL BARBER (alt-country)

Tu Feb 1 - LILY FROST :: 7:30PM Early Show (soul-jazz-ambient-songwriter)

Tu Feb 1 - JON-RAE FLETCHER & THE RIVER (Featured at Blue Moon Open Stage) :: psychedelic-country)

We Feb 2 - KNOW YOU GOT SOUL IV (Soul-Night tributing Stevie Wonder, Al Green & Nino Simone)

Th Feb 3 - THE WEBER BROTHERS (country-blues)

Fr Feb 4 - JASON PLUMB (of The Waltons) :: 7:30PM Early Show (country-rock)

Sa Feb 5 - BULLMOOSE & guests (alt-funk-rock)

Su Feb 6 - DAYNA MANNING & FRIENDS (singer-songwriters)

Tu Feb 8 - THE DIABLEROS (Featured at Blue Moon Open Stage) :: psychedelic-country)

We Feb 9 - SERENA RYDER/HUNTER EVES (singer-songwriter)

Th Feb 10 - STIRLING/STOKED (pop-rock)

Fr Feb 11 - TIJUANA BIBLES + SKIN TIGHT OUTTA SIGHT BURLESQUE SHOW {surf/burlesque)

Sa Feb 12 - SHAWN BRUSH & guests (bluegrass) :: 7:30PM Early Show

Sa Feb 12 - HAMILTON HIP-HOP/TURNTABLE/BREAK-DANCE BENEFIT FOR TSUNAMI RELIEF :: 10:30PM Late Show

Su Feb 13 - CASBAH "MURDER MYSTERY" NIGHT

Mo Feb 14 - THE BLOW/YACHT/BOSTON LETTER (indie-electro-pop)

Tu Feb 15 - THE CLUMSY LOVERS :: Early 7:30PM Show before Blue Moon Open Stage (country-music)

We Feb 16 - THE APOSTLE OF HUSTLE (Andrew Whiteman of Broken Social Scene)

Fr Feb 18 - FLATT STREET (jazz/indie-rock)

Sa Feb 19 - THE SWALLOWS (members of Blue Rodeo):: 7:30PM Early Show

Sa Feb 19 - MARTIN VERRALL CD Release/HIGHSCHOOL HOOKERS (art-rock) :: 10PM Late Show

Su Feb 20 - WILLIE P BENNETT (country/blues)

We Feb 23 - KATHLEEN EDWARDS/LIAM TITCOMB (singer-songwriters)

Fr Feb 25 - BELOW THE SEA/PEOPLE ON AUDIO (drone-ambient) :: 10PM Late Show

Sa Feb 26 - PETER ELKAS BAND :: 7:30PM Early Show (pop-rock)

Sa Feb 26 - THE RIDE THEORY :: 10:30PM Late Show (RnB-soul-rock)

We Mar 2 - "ECLECTRICITY" VARIETY NIGHT (weekly Wednesdays in the Lounge) :: this wk features: JONATHAN INC (ambient-guitar/singer-songwriter)

Sa Mar 5 - SEA SNAKES, NATHAN COLES OUTFIT :: 7:30PM Early Show (indie rock)

Su Mar 6 - CAROLYN MARK/LEDERHOSEN LUCIL (country/electro-pop)

We Mar 9 - "ECLECTRICITY" VARIETY NIGHT (weekly Wednesdays in the Lounge) :: this wk features: CANNED HAMM (ex-tourmates of Wesley Willis)

Th Mar 10 - THE SADIES (country/surf/garage)

Sa Mar 12 - CFMU ANNUAL FUNDRAISER SHOW (bands, DJs)

Tu Mar 22 - CONTACT (Featured at Blue Moon Open Stage) :: live house/jam)

Mo Mar 28 - MAREN ORD/DAYNA MANNING (singer-songwriter)

Th Mar 31 - LOOMER/NOVEMBER ALL-STARS (alt-country)

Mo Apr 4 - MELISSA McCLELLAND/LINDY (singer-songwriter)

Th Apr 7 - COUNTRY HOOTENANY with CAROLYN MARK, LUTHER WRIGHT, OH SUSANNA and JENNY WHITELEY (country/singer-songwriter)

We Apr 27 - FLUFFGIRL BURLESQUE

Sa May 28 - WANDA JACKSON & THE ROYAL CROWNS (rock-abilly)

LOUNGE:

Mondays :: Closed

Tuesdays :: THE K-WAY RETRO NIGHT

Wednesdays :: "ECLECTRICITY" VARIETY NIGHT

Thursdays :: DJ CUTHOWYALIKE (starting in February)

Fridays :: THEME NIGHTS

Saturdays :: CIRCADELIC SOUL NIGHTS

Upcoming Theme Nights in the Lounge...

01/20 "SIN ALLEY ROCKnROLL COMEDY"

01/21 "MMUSIC 2"

01/24 "DJ BLACK PEOPLE PRESENTS"

01/27 "MUSIC FOR SUCKERS V.2"

01/28 "HALLOWEEN IN JANUARY"

02/11 "FLAMINGO-GO's DANCE CHALLENGE"

Mo Jan 24 - JOEL PLASKETT EMERGENCY (indie-country)

whiteymuseum I have to ask you about this. I remember seeing this listing in one of your posts a couple months ago, but since then, all the press I've read (including Plaskett's website, and Pollstar) indicates that the show is at the Underground. Can you straighten this out please? Wouldn't want to be at the wrong venue on the date in question.

Thanks, man, I appreciate the prompt reply. The folks at his management and label seem to think that the show is at the Underground, as that's the listing on his site and on Pollstar (probably as a result of the site listing). They have obviously been misinformed. I'll try and spread the word as best I can. Cheers.

Bringing this over from another thread, thought it belonged here better:

Plaskett is awesome. I have seen him a number of times (at least 5 with the Emergency band and once solo) and he never disappoints. I always tell people, however, that if they're bringing newbies out to see him, it's best to lend them a disc and let them dig it for a couple weeks beforehand. He grows on you in a MAJOR way. Here's a little history, off the top of my head.

Plaskett hails from Halifax, where he was the frontman with Thrush Hermit, beginning about the time he was 17. They were considered part of the post-Sloan Halifax Pop Explosion, and their earlier work does hint very strongly towards the Sloan side of things. Their last record together though, Clayton Park, moves far and away from anything remotely related to mid-90's Halifax (except the lyrics). The record is packed with pianos and layered guitars and runs the gammut from heavy Sabbath-like rockers to quieter country-rock ballads. Neil Young's influence was at its highest on this record, compared to the other Hermit records, which are hit-and-miss for me. I highly recommend it.

Sidenote: Thrush Hermit was booked to play the 2nd stage at Edgefest 1995 in Barrie, due to the strength of a single from one of their early records (I don't remember which one). They hated being treated like "Canada's next-best thing" and being asked in every interview whether they were trying to follow in Sloan's footsteps, so they thumbed their noses at the press by using the set, an opportunity to play a high-profile gig, to play an entire set of Steve Miller Band covers :).

Anyway when all was said and done, Plaskett released his first solo record called In Need of Medical Attention. It was partially recorded on the road while on tour with Hermit, and partially recorded afterwards. It's a pretty heavy singer-songwriter record, a complete departure from the loud guitars of Clayton Park. Sort of sad-bastard countrified folk with light at the end of the tunnel. A good dose of pedal steel and accordian adorns the record, too.

Following that, he put together the Emergency band, comprised of Dave Marsh on drums and Tim Brennan on bass. His second solo record (first with the band) was called Down At The Khyber, and was a happy medium between the heavy Zeppelin/Neil Young with Crazy Horse vibe of the last Hermit record and the vastly developed songwriting of his first solo disc. Plenty of guitar, bass, and drums, but some excellent use (again) of pedal steel and guest vocalists, among other things. I suggest that any interested parties start with this album, it's just been re-released by MapleMusic and I found it at HMV for $14.99 (before the reissue, the only release I could get my hands on by the time I got into Plaskett was a vinyl copy of this album).

His newest release is Truthfully, Truthfully, it came out around the end of 2003. It continues in the same vein as Khyber, and in my opinion is an equally fantastic record. Tim Brennan has since taken somewhat of a hiatus from the band, and Ian McGettigan - producer of Khyber and Truthfully, and former Thrush Hermit bassist - has stepped in on bass.

So much for being brief, eh? As you can tell I'm quite a fan. I find that for some people, his voice takes some getting used to, in the same way that Neil Young's does. It's raw and emotional, but in a Rick Danko sort of way (as opposed to an At The Drive-In sort of way). In my humblest of opinions, Plaskett is one of the best Canadian songwriters to emerge since Gordon Lightfoot. Make no mistake, though; if you're going to see him with the band, you're going to see an upbeat rock and roll show. If you decide to check him out, have a good time. I'll be at both Toronto shows and the Hamilton show.

Here's a great promo pic taken around the time that Khyber was released. That's Tim Brennan on bass.

jam_01.jpg

Is Plaskett anything like Cuff the duke? I hope not.

I caught the Cuff the duke show on saturday and am not sure what all the hype is/was about.Not to big on their disc I bought,but,I may be up for giving them a second chance.

Amazing turnout at the Casbah on saturday,the place was packed!

Exciting that we are coming to the Casbah eh!

Lookin real forward to it kids...Hope some of you make it out to this gig as it's gonna jam hard!

Thanks to Rev for the review of our disc. Like he says, it'll be up on spin45.net soon.

Also, thanks to Brodie for the gig. I don't know the cost, time, lineup of the night but will post when I do! Brodie?

Check www.bullmoose.ca for details...

Here they are:

Fri.Jan.21

The Ironhorse Saloon

with The Jim Cuddy Band (Blue Rodeo) and The Spades

Tix $25

Kingston, ON

Bullmoose on @ 8:30pm

www.ironhorsesaloon.com

www.bluerodeo.com

www.thespades.ca

Sat.Jan.22

Keystorm Pub

Tix $2

Brockville, ON

Bullmoose on @ 10pm

Mon.Jan.24

La Sala Rossa

Tsunami Benefit with Byproduct, Free Oxygen and more TBA

Tix $5 or donation

Montreal, QC

www.casdelpopolo.com

www.byproduct.ca

www.freeoxygen.com

Tue.Jan.25

Stages Nightclub

Tsunami Benefit with Betablokka, The Radical Dudez and more TBA

Tix $5 or donation

Kingston, ON

Doors 9pm

www.betablokka.com

www.theradicaldudez.com

Thu.Feb.3

The Legendary Horseshoe Tavern

with guests TBA

FREE Guestlist email seamus@bullmoose.ca

Toronto, ON

Bullmoose on @ 9pm

www.horseshoetavern.com

Sat.Feb.5

The Casbah

with guests TBA

Doors 10pm

Show 10:30pm

tix $5

Hamilton, ON

www.casbah.ca

Later kids...

Seamo

Right on, Seamo, looking forward to hitting either the Toronto or Hamilton show.

Esau I PM'd you about Duke vs. Plaskett. Like I said, if I'm bringing people to see him who have never seen him before, I will lend out one of my discs (or suggest they pick up their own) so that people can hear what he's all about. If you like what you hear on his studio records, you'll love seeing him live. Because he's more song-oriented than instrumentally-oriented though, I find that people who don't know his stuff generally have a good time, but the show won't rank among their favourites.