Jambands.ca

Some good Bobby pics

Del

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tube - Which amp show was it that sucked? The first time he was there or the second? Because I recall the second being sub-par, but the first (I guess...2002?) being out of this world.

The 2002-07-09 show, with Soulive and moe., was considered to be the weakest Phil show of that run. (I was there, and didn't remember liking it that much. The 2003-12-03 Phil show at the Beacon, though, blew me away.)

Aloha,

Brad

yes, it was the 02 summer phil show that opened with a pretty good Shakedown, but went downhill from there...

The Phil show i saw at the Reunion was a quality show .... but Ratdog the next day put on a set that was arguably better than the Dead sets that followed...

bobby likes the centerstage....and he delivers when he's there...at the reunion, each side band had an hour and a half to play. Phil, Mickey, and Kruitz all played within their time....and bobby played for over two hours, lol...

He's the man!

(i do love seeing him WITH phil the best though....call them The Other Ones, call them The Dead....I dont care. They rock!)

re: 07-09-2002

I guess I had better drugs than y'all 'cuz I loved the show and saw 7 on that tour. C'mon, Box of Rain on July 9th?!! And a haunting Patchwork Quilt in the same spot in the 2nd set?!! Shakedown opener?!! Killer Keep on Growin'?!! And a fuggin' Liberty encore?!!

Set 1: Jam> Shakedown Street> Jam> China Cat Sunflower> Jam> Again and Again> Box of Rain, Keep on Growin'> Jam> Night of a Thousand Stars

Set 2: Jam> Dupree's Diamond Blues, Leave Me Out of This> Jam> Mason's Children> Jam> Patchwork Quilt, *Help on the Way> *Slipknot!> *Franklin's Tower E: Liberty

*with Al Schnier from moe. on guitar

Ok ok, I apologize because THIS is the show that blew my pants off. The '02 show was not nearly as good as this, and I submit to you my reason why Phil's cuisine reigns supreme:

7/18/00

Phil Lesh And Friends

Molson Amphitheater

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

(total time: ~1:45)

Jam> Mississippi Half-Step> Jam> Shakedown Street (PB)> Jam> Brokedown Palace, Jam> Lady w/ a Fan> O1 Jam> Mtns. of the Moon> Terrapin Station (Inspiration...)> Cosmic Charlie

E: Cold Rain & Snow

The Band: Phil Lesh, John Molo, Jimmy Herring (g), Paul Barrere (g), Bill Payne (k)

Bob Dylan Band opened- setlist

And for those of you saying "Look brah, deadheads love the dead"...I do, until people start to pull out their favorite member and trumpet him around like a golden god. When that happens I feel obligated to tell you you're wrong ;)

Sum, greater than parts?

Guess its a matter of interpitation,I don't see ya'll goin off like that if someone posted a Jerry or even Dylan thread now do we?

And there is no denying that folks "trumpet them around like golden gods"

Me being one of em at times (many times),so I am led to believe that you would also tell me I am wrong if this was a Dylan or Jerry thread?

::

"It's not the band I hate, it's their fans." ;)

Ahh yes,the manipluated quote to suit the thread.....

Guess you figured I wouldn't notice it eh....being "dumb as a post"....that is how it was put correct?

ooo... I even saw phil and friends on that tour! it was at pine knob in michigan. anybody else there? i don't remember anything too remarkable, except running thru the parking lot b/c i heard them start shakedown... they were double-billed with one of my abso-lute faves of all time, the allman brothers, so it was quite an exciting day for me, indeed. we also saw ekoostik hookah the night before at the magic bag, and i saw ed from EH at the show! i think that was the show that was hotter than a motherfu©ker and we kept asking the wandering drink merchants for ice from their tub... i think we looked a bit scary... good times!

oh my goodness, you know, come to think of it ed kinda reminds me of bobby... he looooves the sleeveless tee's... they kinda resemble one another, too... hmmmmm!!!

ed9-2-97.jpg

hmm... resemble anyone we know?

Hookah.jpg

Me being one of em at times (many times),so I am led to believe that you would also tell me I am wrong if this was a Dylan or Jerry thread?

Well, no because I love Jerry and Bob but I can't stand Bobby Weir. I would also surmise that I'm not alone, given the number of objections to Bobby threads being that overwhelmingly greater than that of Dylan or Jerry threads, this probably means that anyone claiming the universe loves Bobby is inherently out of their gourd.

What I think gets lost in these discussions is that I'm not really trashing someone's taste in music as much as I'm saying why I don't share their opinion. I know it's not seen as that because I throw insults like a kid throws paint but like so many other discussions that get buried in the mud, taste is subjective and I'm not telling anyone how to like something. Now Booche may be PMing me to tell me how silly Bobby fans are but I ain't doing that in return. If 5 out of the hundreds of skanks like Bob Weir then that's fine, but in a public forum I feel entitled to dissect the love they make public, to see if it's actually

1. Repressed homosexuality

2. His ability to hold a note, something I've yet to fault him for because he is capable of singing

3. His guitar playing, which is the ONLY thing I'm slagging him for because this "triple threat" I keep hearing about simply does not exist.

How can you love the Dead, but hate Bobby? Bobby was an integral part of that unit... Think of all the songs Bobby wrote, sung and performed on, that you wouldn't have if not for him... Your statement makes absolutely no sense... Maybe Bobby wasn't your favorite member, but HATE? Ridiculous...

I believe that there can be no true "hate" without real love behind it. And that the Bobby hater's on this board really do love him....maybe they're mad because there's no rescheduled Toronto Ratdog date yet. Maybe they resent him because he's not playing with Jerry these days. Maybe he played Easy to Slip, when they really wanted to hear Let it Grow or something.

What I think gets lost in these discussions is that I'm not really trashing someone's taste in music as much as I'm saying why I don't share their opinion.

When that happens I feel obligated to tell you you're wrong

Just thought those two looked good together.

Now,my comment has nothing to do with whether a person does or does not love GD,I know many folks who love GD but are in no way deadheads...theres a very big difference in my opinion.

A deadhead loves the GD,yes,but also doesn't pick apart each member claiming they can be replaced so easily.

Lets look at things here...this is not based on anyones single opinion either,nor this thread alone.

Keith Godchaux - I hear tons of folks go off about him & how he sucked.

Donna Godchaux - Not much different then Keith,as far as opinions go.

Bobby - well,say no more.

Phil - His voice,his bass playing,hes end of show rap he does,his "cheeseiness",his wrsitbands...etc

OK,I'm going stop at 4,this hurts me to even post it.

To me,I love everything the Grateful Dead are/were & stand/stood for,I love the way the interacted with the audience somtimes enhancing the show to a greater high,the legions of fans can't be argued with (that stands for any band right?),also,I don't love every song,but I dig eveything they have done,no matter how poor it was recieved (by me or the masses.

I bitch about Phishheads that complain & put down the very band they claim they love and as stated many times previous,I would and will do the same with Deadheads,which I do.

One more question then I'm done....

How many times have anyone read me state any member of the Grateful Dead was anything more then a intrique part in a bigger entity? Perhaps not worded exactly but the same point is always made or tried to be made.

Also,to end this whole "real deadhead" thing before people get all upset on a friday...heres a flash....it was a sticker we made for tour.(circa 1988-89)

Just a bumper sticker....