Jambands.ca

A bit of a warning re:Pour House

AdamH

Hopefully it's one bad keg, or one bad line.

I had a pint of moosehead there, and now I'm at home puking. I didn't even get to see the fu©king Spades. The beer wasn't so off that I sent it back, just sort of low quality as one would expect from the Irish Village i guess. Anyway, not more than halfway through the drink both my girlfriend and I had to excuse ourselves from the place.

ok so ... all beer talk aside.. sorry for your luck tonight ahess... how were the Spades?

Good, a lot of fun... Freeker got kicked out, Lorda got in a fight, rubberdinghy got mad for the lack of a high five, I drank Bohemians I snuck in, a bunch of us were wasted... Fun...

Sorry to hear Ahess,

Pourhouse is a pretty horrendous venue! Accoustics were in the realm of 'house of mirriors', or, this is what a bad bad recording on your tape deck might sound like in live form! One stall per sex? Dozens of Degrassi Jr high rejects giving evil eyes and posing.. Closest I've ever come to feeling like my entire body is inside an a$$hole, venue wise. gret friends out, the band was rockin, maybe a little more garage-y than i anticipated, but i couldnt tell if it was the venue influencing my take.

The name is also pretty ironic when pitchers of Keith's are 17.50!! fu©k that place.

I had a much better experience seeing The John Henrys there awhile ago with meggo than I did last night... The Spades were a pretty fun band to go see, but it was way too loud in there, and the crowd of "just turned 19, and looking to get wasted" people really detracted from the show as well... Finally got to meet Dr. J and it was nice to see Jakis again... Things really got interesting when drunk-as-fu©k Team Ottawa strolled through the door from the 67's game. We got glances, and we gave them back... It wasn't hard to get a beer, but it was usually pretty warm when you did... By the time Freeker got kicked out, I was ready to leave. Glad I got to check out The Spades, they're definately a good band, but I doubt I would see them at The Pour House again...

i am pretty much echoing del and GM... the first time i went to the pourhouse for the john henry's, that was great. there were way less people, and no one was really dancing, but the sound was a lot better i think. the crowd last night was, well, young... but they seemed to know the spades, maybe that is their public? is that the right word? i dunno. i liked the spades, they really had an explosive energy, i thought. i would really like to see them again in a different setting.

also, i chatted with two of the dudes and they seemed pretty nice. always a plus! i will post a few pics from the evening...

here we go...

PS - great to meet you jakis! thanks for introducing yourself. also good to meet Dr J, cheers guys :)

glad to read many of you made it out to see this band.

too bad about the swilly beer ::

they seemed to know the spades, maybe that is their public?

it's usually a university crowd when they play the MoHo. the youngest regular there would have to be mikeyD, but he's more mature than I am ::

ya'll should come to TO on the 29th for Plaskett & The Spades.

Man, was that ever weird. I was also shocked at a 6.00 moosehead pint, but hey isn't Moosehead an import in some people's minds?

as I said to Del I wish I'd have stayed out to debate Bobby and what have you, it's not like me to turn down a band I've never seen before. Mind you I was seeing the Virgin mary on the bus ride home so it may have been for the best.

How'd the recording turn out Brad?

Hey folks, thanks to everyone who came out last night. I feel badly about the issues people have raised, but understand their validity. I (I'm sure bradm would agree) have seen The Spades at the Pour House when it was less crowded, less loud, less crazy. Not sure why the somewhat manic/over the top feel to last night (U. of O.'s pre-show hype???). I appreciate that people are keeping their dislike/distaste of the venue etc. separate from their opinion of the band.

It was great to see brad again and to meet Meggo, Del and rubberdinghy. I know there were others I should have met. I realize now seeing his pic on here, I should have recognized bouche (and others). Sorry about that. Maybe another time....another place....maybe boogieknight's backyard ;)

scott you were frickin hilarious... you're like, "it's fun! look what you can do!" and then as two of the youngish girls were walking into the bar you yelled, "hey ladies!!! how are you doing tonight?!? having fun!!??" or something of the sort, in this super loud funny way... maybe ya hadda be there, i dunno. also, sneaking out the beer was, in a word, remarkable. nice work!!!

Dr J - you didn't not recognize bouche, he wasn't there! looking forward to seeing the spades again. ::