Jambands.ca

Vintage Dylan Tape Donated To Library

TimmyB

from www.billboard.com

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. January 14, 2005, 10:30 AM ET

Vintage Dylan Tape Donated To Library

A previously uncirculated tape of a pre-fame Bob Dylan performing folk songs in a Minneapolis apartment has been donated to the Minnesota Historical Society Library. The recordings have been in the possession of Minneapolis resident Cleve Pettersen since 1960.

At the time, Pettersen was a teenager who frequented the coffeehouses in Minneapolis' Dinkytown neighborhood, which brought him into contact with the fledgling Dylan. Dylan later agreed to perform some tunes for posterity after Pettersen purchased a reel-to-reel tape recorder.

Taped in an apartment on Minneapolis' 15th Ave. S.E., the recordings feature Dylan performing "Blues Yodel No. 8," "Come See Jerusalem," "San Francisco Bay Blues," "I'm a Gambler," "Talkin' Merchant Marine," "Talkin' Hugh Brown," "Talkin' Lobbyist," "Red Rosey Bush," "Johnny I Hardly Knew You," "Jesus Christ," "Streets of Glory" and "K.C. Moan."

Interested parties can listen to the recordings at the library but are not permitted to make copies.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Note to self, make efforts to go to a show in Minneapolis so I can visit this library and listen to these songs. Preferably a Bob Dylan show and make it a whole pilgrimage to Dylan's origins.