Jambands.ca

Damaged tape recovery question

TomFoolery

I have in the past removed the tape from the case and put it in a new case,then fast forwarded it and rewound it,although this hasn't worked with all it has with some.Then I transfer it to CDR,seems they don't last too long after they have been wet.

Have you tried to play it yet?

Nah, been too busy trying to deal with all the other shite involved with 60,000 gallons of water surging through three furnished rooms...

I think the tapes are being tackled today. We'll give that a go. Its going to be a bitch. There are some pretty priceless tapes that I'm sure will never be found again.

My personal fav is a 72 Santana/Buddy Miles. I think I'm going to cry just thinking about it.

Ouch...

Well,good luck with the clean up

I do alot of transfering from cassette to CDR,if they are playable that may be the best option for preserving them,even if they have a touch of a "wobble" in them now & then,I'd say get them out of the cases and open any that have obvious water inside them,somtimes this involves carefully cracking the case open,which sadly also ruins the case.

Wish I could be of more help here but its hard to tell via the internet.

May I ask what happened that 60,000 gallons of water surged through your home?

A pipe burst on the while we (its my gf's place) were away (11 days). Unfortunately, the landlord didn't install a drain on the floor. Fortunately, the shower stall floor was only 3 inches off the main floor so most of the water drained through the shower drain.

Thanks for the tips! Fingers crossed.

damn huh? sorry to hear it Jay, pass my sympathies along to Kayte for me... lousy time of the year for dealing with a flood... loosing valuables sucks anytime

hope you guys had a pretty good weekend in any case (a few friends from here headed out to visit you guys, I almost jumped on board but opted to stick in town)

cheers,

Jhamie