Jambands.ca

5 Disc Rotation - broken finger edition

scottieking

fu©k, I think I broke my finger teaching guerilla warfare today. Seriously.

So to ease the pain, 5 disc. The Painkiller edition.

Kings of Convinence - Riot on an Empty Street - Simon and Garfunkly

Dead - 10/25/73 -mmmmm, Darkstar

Bright Eyes - Lua - New albums going to be great

Calexico - 4/25/2003 - holy wicked sbd

Umphery's - 12/11/04 - My third SBD matrix from these guys, I'm offically a backer

Honorable mention to Pink Floyd's Animals for getting me through the blizzard on the drive home today. Sheesh. What a day.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

guerilla warfare! is that part of the new curriculum this year? as for tunes i haven't been exposed to too much new stuff lately.

1. Guigsy's Goods Vol. #3

2. JSB @ Evolve 3

3. The Cramps -- not sure which album, but it kicks ass!

4. Madlib - Blunted In The Bombshelter

5. The Slackers - Wasted Days

Guest Low Roller

1. Iron and Wine- Our Endless Numbered Days

2. Omni Trio- Haunted Science

3. Gomez- Split The Difference

4. Scissor Sisters- Scissor Sisters

5. Stone Roses- Stone Roses

Comments from above:

- sh!t I still haven't listened to Ugly Cassanova depite being a huge Modest Mouse freak

- Madlib: I heard great things about it, never listened to it

- Still haven't heard any Built To Spill but I have a strange feeling I'll dig it

- Why do you people persist with this whole Slip thing? Two words: "Passing fad"

Here's some comments for you Roller:

-go and buy Ugly Casanova ASAP, better than Modest Mouse in my opinion

-Built To Spill is great, The Slip even cover one of their songs...

-The Slip a passing fad? They've been together for almost 10 years, that's quite a fad...

Guest Low Roller

To Guigsy:

That's funny, I could've sworn I heard someone's opinion. Oh well, it must've been the wind. :P

To everyone else:

Currently listening to Dick's Picks vol.31

Guest Low Roller
Here's some comments for you Roller:

-go and buy Ugly Casanova ASAP, better than Modest Mouse in my opinion

-Built To Spill is great, The Slip even cover one of their songs...

-The Slip a passing fad? They've been together for almost 10 years, that's quite a fad...

Since the Slip cover Built To Spill that only leads me to conclude that the Slip are inferior and a bunch of followers. I'll check out this band Built To Spill out of curiosity, but I'll make sure to stay clear of the Slip.

And yes, The Slip may have been together for 10 years, but I didn't hear anyone mentioning them until Phish broke up and you all needed some other band to leech onto as an excuse for copious drug consumption.

Oh yeah, I just went there. :P

So a band that does covers is inferior? The White Stripes cover several artists, so they must really be down the list, huh? Many people were into The Slip well before Phish broke up (they played CTMF in May 2003, and Phish broke up in August 2004). Maybe once you start getting your facts straight you'll be able to start appreciating some good music...

Neko Case & The Sadies - The Tigers Have Spoken

Greenfield Main - Barnburners & Heartchurners (there are other awesome Ottawa bands besides Nero)

The White Stripes - The White Stripes

Two Minute Miracles - Vol. 2

K-OS - Joyful Rebellion (hasn't left the player in a while)

AD

Roller:

Nice one with Iron & Wine, aka Samuel Beam. Iron & Wine is all over the soundtrack for the new Dennis Quaid, Scarlett Johanson, Topher Grace film In Good Company. A good film and a killer soundtrack, featuring Iron & Wine, The Shins, Aretha, David Byrne and oh yeah, The Soundtrack Of Our lives.

The songs add to the flavour and mood of the film, which is important for any well-made movie.

Iron & Wine reminds me of Nick Drake mixed with a bit of Simon & Garfunkle and folk blues.

Hit a nerve there Del? Don't worry, I'm just messing with you regarding the cover thing. ;)

Why do you think I brought up The White Stripes? 2004 was a tough year for me and bands, with the loss of Phish and nero... All I've got left is The Slip... So yeah, it's a bit of a nerve when someone says they suck, because they certainly do not... It's all good brah...

I'm not saying the only thing I listen to is The Slip, but they're definately the only band I'm willing to invest a lot of time and money on, as well as travel great distances to see... Sad and scary? That's a matter of opinion... Who do you listen to Jaimoe? I bet I'd consider some of your favorite bands downright horrible... To each their own I guess, but please don't judge me because I like a certain band more than most others... I've found something that I love, and don't feel any regrets about it...

I'm not judging the bands you feel strongly for Del. Quite the contrary. I guess what I meant by that comment is that there are a lot of great bands playing today, but they are not necessarily " jam " bands.

With no Phish to lead the flock, this should give this genre a chance to re-tool into differing, yet new and exciting directions.

And yes, I guarantee that you would HATE a lot of the bands that I love.

hmmm... i have been feeling a talking heads binge coming on...

joel plaskett emergency - truthfully truthfully

grateful dead - american beauty

aretha franklin - (everything i can find)

beta band - (i forget what it's called...)

verve remixed

***currently listening to an 11-minute version of 'amazing grace' sung by aretha... stunning

Well, I would be watching Trey on ACL again had the tape not got stuck in the vcr.

Fraginrazzlemudinmudderfug!

I am with you Jaimoe. I cant recall a time when there has been such an abundance of incredible music. Over the past couple of years, its simply growing at a phenomenal rate.

Charles Mingus / Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus

Brad Mehldau / The Art Of The Trio Vol. 2 - Live At The Village Vanguard

Mr. Something Something / Mr. Something Something

Herbie Hancock / The Piano

James McKenty / Restless Soul

Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble / Couldn't Stand The Weather

OK, that's six, but, well, I just don't care. :: ::

Aloha,

Brad

Neko Case & The Sadies - The Tigers Have Spoken

So, is this the new release? If so, I must pick this up, I hadn't realized it was out yet. Loving Neko Case lately.

Anyway my five picks are (and no, I'm not kidding!):

The Slip - Ice Cream Truck Festival '04

The Slip - Evolve Festival '02

The Slip - CTMF '03

and, for variety:

Grateful Dead - Rich Stadium 7/16/90

Grateful Dead - 10/12/84 Augusta, ME

:: yeah, it's been that kinda week, not too adventurous, just happy staying in a similar vibe for late night listenings - thanks again for those Slip shows, Scott! Love 'em!